SDS100 specific antenna from Remtronix

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I have a system I enjoy monitoring, a P25 VHF system with multiple sites.
Sadly neither the RS800 or the RM820S perform well in VHF. I know they’re not designed for VHF so I got me a VHF 136-174MHz BNC antenna and it works really well. Of course, I switch back to the RS800 or RM820S when monitoring other 700/800MHz systems.

Here is the VHF antenna with the SDS-100 SMA adaptor.

7b3f49fbb77244ea8eca903c389fd64d.jpg

I would love to find an antenna that does well on all bands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is the model number of this beauty?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been running the new Remtronics SDS100 700/800 antenna for a day now, and I would say it is comparable in performance to the RS800 antenna it replaced. I like that the new antenna has the O-ring, and looks less kludgy since it doesn't use adapters, although I *would* have liked the rubber to cover all the way down the base like the stock antenna. I don't need to switch antennas when in the house or in the Jeep since (just about) everything I listen to are well designed 700/800 simulcast systems, and I don't try to listen to anything out of their service footprint. The SDS solved my simulcast issues, the fat battery solved the desktop stability issue, and this antenna fixes the adapter issue for me, so I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The RS 800 was originally made by a company called... GRE. They of course made Radio Shack digital scanners at that time. Whistler P1 digital scanners are the same scanners Radio Shack sold and were originally designed and made by GRE a long long time ago. They are now rebranded as Whistler. Not quite antiques but close. That's a joke before you all jump on me. I remember you could buy this antenna BNC from GRE a long time ago before it was anywhere else. Never heard of this new company until after GRE and RS demise. I imagine they bought the rights. Smart move to make SMA models. Originally sold by GRE as 800 megahertz antenna but we quickly found out it was superior to anything else on UHF also.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Condor

Here is the Austin Condor antenna I modified for use on the SDS100. I merely trimmed a little of the rubber away from the bottom and it fits just fine. I actually went a tad too far, I should have done slightly less and let it go flush with the collar to make it a bit more water resistant.

Attachments

• SDS100Condor.jpeg
    SDS100Condor.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 264
  • ModifiedCondor.jpeg
    ModifiedCondor.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 262

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Rich, I also cut down several SMA antennas using a razor blade and just shaving off some rubber. On a low profile 800 megahertz rubber ducky I did the same thing and left a small Gap.

If you go to the washer section of Home Depot they make little tiny rubber washers that cost next to nothing that will fit very nicely into that Gap. That's what I did.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The way I understood it is that the antenna was made for Radio Shack in the Far East. After RS discontinued most of its scanner line and accessories the antenna's manufacturers sold the antenna branded as Remtronix. There may have some connection to GRE at the time as well. Afterwards Alinco was involved and may have handled distribution. It gets kind of murky and I don't know all the details around it.

The Remtronix name may well have predated the Radio Shack branding on the antenna, but the first time I heard of the name was when the antenna was reintroduced after the implosion of Radio Shack. It might have been used in other markets perhaps as well.

Whatever the history it works great! I use it on my BCD325P2 and my PRO106 and it works great. I tried to get one of the SDS100 versions from work and was turned down, too much demand from paying customers!

I agree, Rich, regardless of who made it and who makes it now, it's a great antenna. I'm curious as to the superior design and what makes it so resonant. I seem to remember someone posting a pair of comparable pictures of the antenna dissected next to another and explaining the functioning process and how it's build and shape made it receive so well. It was definitely different than other rubber ducks it was compared to.

JD
kf4anc

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Here is the Austin Condor antenna I modified for use on the SDS100. I merely trimmed a little of the rubber away from the bottom and it fits just fine. I actually went a tad too far, I should have done slightly less and let it go flush with the collar to make it a bit more water resistant.

Rich, how do you find the performance of the Austin Condor vs the Remtronix in your comparisons? Mostly interested in 118-960 MHz scanning, but I am curious on the SDS100 how it's working for you.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For VHF and UHF Air as well as rail (my main targets these days) the Condor performs much better than the stock antenna on the SDS100. For example I can hear the ATIS at the Air Force Base as well as the WX station in town with it but I cannot with the stock antenna from my home. On UHF and 800 I have not seen much difference. I do not have any low band here to test with.

I have had similar results with the Condor with other radios.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I just received mine, a huge difference for me over even the BNC version, in Memphis for the Holidays and before the DB was close to -90 -100 now its -45 to -55 and much less error count

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I just received mine, a huge difference for me over even the BNC version, in Memphis for the Holidays and before the DB was close to -90 -100 now its -45 to -55 and much less error count
Which one did you get? I just saw this.

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I have a system I enjoy monitoring, a P25 VHF system with multiple sites.

ecarvalho, from your pics, looks like you're in the DC Metro area somewhere. Any chance the P25 VHF system you're referring to is VA STARS?

I'm located in Loudoun and trying to get better reception on STARS. I just ordered one of the KENMAX VHF antennas to give it a try.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I agree, Rich, regardless of who made it and who makes it now, it's a great antenna. I'm curious as to the superior design and what makes it so resonant. I seem to remember someone posting a pair of comparable pictures of the antenna dissected next to another and explaining the functioning process and how it's build and shape made it receive so well. It was definitely different than other rubber ducks it was compared to.
JD kf4anc

I wish I had access to an X-Ray machine these days so that I could peek inside a couple of these antennas. Years ago when I was doing my clinical time I had x-rayed a couple antennas for grins and giggles but that was way before the Remtronix/RS800 and Condor antennas came around.

Any X-Ray techs here want to do a public service for us? I am too cheap to dissect a good antenna like this.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Anybody know who selling the SDS 100 at a relevant price. Other than $649. Is there a cheaper price. Im currently using mine BCD396XT with Watson antenna. Lost my stock ducky antenna. And lost my RS 800 mhz antenna. Lost both of them while running. Wasn't attached to scanner

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
How does it compare to a Diamond SRH789 Telescopic antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.