• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APEX IMPRES 2 batteries flashing red and wont charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordym31

Looking for help before I contact Motorola. I have 40 Impres 2 Batteries for APX series radios that will flash red in the chargers that are brand new but sat on the shelf for 3 years before being put in use and wont take a charge. Is there a way to recondition them or are they dead for good? Thanks

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Have you tried placing a battery in the charger, immediately lift it out then dropping it back in?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Sitting on a shelf for 3 years, more likely they have gone low voltage and need to be recovered.
Let them sit over night or 24 hours if possible. If that fails they may need to go back to Moto or you could try a voltage bump.
Back in the NiCad days we would take old batteries like that (Jedi series mainly) and use 12 volt about half an amp and try to manually bump the voltage. Probably not a good idea with Impress but if its a last resort and not going back to Moto then worth a shot.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Sitting on a shelf for 3 years, more likely they have gone low voltage and need to be recovered.
Let them sit over night or 24 hours if possible. If that fails they may need to go back to Moto or you could try a voltage bump.
Back in the NiCad days we would take old batteries like that (Jedi series mainly) and use 12 volt about half an amp and try to manually bump the voltage. Probably not a good idea with Impress but if its a last resort and not going back to Moto then worth a shot.

If they are 3 years old, they are a year out of Impres2 warranty

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have a 2015 XPR battery that was left off the charger for a couple of years, but when left abandoned, it only had a dozen or so charges on it. It still had enough juice to run the radio for a few hours, but I got that same flashing red light now and no way to charge, not even orange light mode works. Is there a way to cover one of the gold charger contacts to make these dumb batteries and maybe force a charge into them? No suggesting that for the 40 new Impres 2 batteries, but for others maybe?

Paul

4-crime

What type of charger are you using to try to charge these? I know On the single unit impres 2 chargers you have to flip to recondition switch on the bottom in order to recondition the battery.

ordym31

Are you charging them in an Impres 2 charger?
NNTN7079A Single charger, WPLN4114 Single charger with insert, WPLN4127 multi charger with inserts. It's not all of them out of 120 batteries maybe failure of 25% that won't take a charge at all. Just Flash red.

4-crime

That may be your issue. You probably need to use impres 2 chargers to get them back to life. Not saying that’s definitely the issue, but wouldn’t surprise me if that was.

K2NEC

I agree. I don't think Impres 2 batteries will work 100% in non-impres 2 chargers

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
IMPRES 2 batteries are backwards compatible with existing IMPRES chargers. If they weren't, ordym31's failure rate for initializing these NOS IMPRES 2 batteries would be 100%, not 25%. ;)

That being said, it certainly would not hurt to buy an IMPRES 2 charger and give it a shot with the stubborn batteries. Also make sure to clean the battery contacts with a pencil eraser, even if they look clean to the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.