Feed Static URLs for Premium Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi folks,

The following feature is now available for Premium Subscribers.

Today I'm releasing, in beta, the ability to listen to feeds using a static URL that never changes. This will be helpful for those of you who use third party players or audio clients.

To use a static URL to listen, simply choose the "Static URL ($$)" player for any feed. You'll then be directed to the URL to listen to that feed. You can also copy and paste that URL into any other client and save it as a bookmark etc in those applications as well.

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 7.42.33 PM.png

The URL format is simple. https://audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID.mp3 = where FEEDID is the feedID for the feed (the unique number in the feed URL). You'll then be prompted to login with your Broadcastify Premium account. Simply login with your username or email address, and your password, and you are set.

Feedback and questions are welcome...

Thanks,

ScanYak

Feed Provider
Thanks Lindsay for the added feature for static access to the feeds.

I understand it is beta however I'm unable to get the default player in Chrome on Windows10 to play.
The login goes fine but does not play. As expected also does not work in RadioLog.

Doug

player.JPG

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Would it be possible to add some info to the page such as,

The name of the Stream.
Number of listeners.

It's just a link to the feed audio only that doesn't ever change. That's really it - it's for advanced users that want a ULR that never changes for the feed.

If you want all the other stuff please use the normal feed Web player.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
I spent some time finding what works using the static URL feature and this was my finding so far.

Using the URL format suggested by cobraultra... :

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID.mp3
I have had success with "XMPlay" and "CoolPlayer"
I have not had success with "Windows Media Player"
I have not had success with "Google Chrome"
I have not had success with "Internet Explorer"
I have not had success with "RadioLog" (This is the one I would love to have working)

I do understand embedding credentials (user name and password) in the URL is a no go for most browsers.

Using the following:

https://audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID.mp3
I have had success with "Windows Media Player"
I have had partial success with "Google Chrome"

Using the following:

https://audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID
I have had partial success with "Google Chrome"

lukemester

Feed Provider
Thank you blantonl!

I now have this working with the VLC player.
You can create a Windows shortcut to VLC for your feed.

Enter the following as the location of your new shortcut:

"LOCATION OF VLC" "http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID.mp3"

or

"LOCATION OF VLC" "https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@audio.broadcastify.com/FEEDID.mp3"

Replace the first quoted string "LOCATION OF VLC" with the path to VLC.EXE on your computer.
On my computer this is: "D:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\VLC.EXE" This WILL be different on your computer.
You can right click on your existing VLC desktop shortcut and choose Properties to find your VLC.EXE location.
The path to your VLC.EXE will be in the Target textbox.

Replace USERNAME,PASSWORD and FEEDID with your feed information.

Finally, choose A name and save the shortcut.

Also, While testing this, I found that I can only run two simultaneous streams of my feed.
One stream with my RadioReference login and a second one with my Broadcastify login.
A single stream with each login.
This caused me some trouble until I figured this out.
It was working but now it's not ???.
I had to close the current player before I could re-connect to the feed using the same login.

At one point I heard a radio call, then, Delay, Repeat call... on the feed.
I realized that I had A stream playing with my Broadcastify and my RadioReference login.
That's when I found that you could have two streams running.

Nasty and annoying! No good reason to play the same feed twice with a delay unless you like to be confused :)

I'm sure that this login restriction behavior is intended.
It's to keep the cheaters from using their login multiple times in an application without paying anything to RadioReference.
One or two simultaneous logins won't do them much good when they want to sell their phone app to thousands of users.

lukemester

Feed Provider

ConnorMS

Odd, it didn't want to connect for me using that exact output.

I like to have an archive of multiple streams in my state; it's hugely time-consuming grabbing archives Broadcastify provides, from multiple streams at a time.

Unless there's is a more natural way through the API, I don't know, I'll see if its possible to get a key for that reason.

Pretty much useless now knowing you can only use two concurrent streams at a time.

Ow well, better than nothing

:)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Odd, it didn't want to connect for me using that exact output.

I like to have an archive of multiple streams in my state; it's hugely time-consuming grabbing archives Broadcastify provides, from multiple streams at a time.

Unless there's is a more natural way through the API, I don't know, I'll see if its possible to get a key for that reason.

Pretty much useless now knowing you can only use two concurrent streams at a time.

Ow well, better than nothing

:)
What's the use case here?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm sure that this login restriction behavior is intended.
It's to keep the cheaters from using their login multiple times in an application without paying anything to RadioReference.
One or two simultaneous logins won't do them much good when they want to sell their phone app to thousands of users.

We don't have any login restrictions or restrictions on the amount of feeds or concurrent feeds you can listen to. I'm not sure what problem you are experiencing here.

lukemester

Feed Provider
When testing the static feel URL with the VLC player
We don't have any login restrictions or restrictions on the amount of feeds or concurrent feeds you can listen to. I'm not sure what problem you are experiencing here.

When I was testing static feed URL shortcuts with the VLC and Winamp players I noticed that only one stream would play. Opening another copy of the player and starting a second stream would fail. Winamp gives [access denied] for the second stream attempt. For a second stream, VLC reports "Your input can't be opened"

I later found that I could open two simultaneous streams if I used my Broadcastify credentials for one stream and my Radioreference credentials for the second. I assumed that this was by design.

I could send you screenshots of these player streaming errors. Unfortunately, I don't see a PM option on this message board. I don't want to post these screenshots publicly since they contain my User/Password for RR and Broadcastify.

Status
Not open for further replies.