• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV5-R type accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

I was recently at my old work place and saw cases of Baofeng radios. I asked if you could still buy them and was told that they now are type accepted. I didn't actually see the radios, only the boxes, but I remember them saying UV5-R. Was someone pulling my leg? I don't see how a keypad programmable radio could be type accepted. The tip off was when they said they were type accepted for amateur, commercial, and marine. I know that Baofeng has a couple of models that are type accepted, but the UV5-R?

prcguy

All the UV-5Rs I've purchased were keypad programmable only within the amateur bands and needed software to program commercial frequencies. I believe this is how they achieved Part 90 type acceptance. Of course I immediately downloaded software and flashed all my radios so they could be keypad programmed everywhere and now I'm probably in violation of some hideous rule.

If you get one new that is keypad programmable outside the amateur bands it would not be Part 90 type accepted.

I was recently at my old work place and saw cases of Baofeng radios. I asked if you could still buy them and was told that they now are type accepted. I didn't actually see the radios, only the boxes, but I remember them saying UV5-R. Was someone pulling my leg? I don't see how a keypad programmable radio could be type accepted. The tip off was when they said they were type accepted for amateur, commercial, and marine. I know that Baofeng has a couple of models that are type accepted, but the UV5-R?

nd5y

There are several UV-5R type clones with FCC certification now.
FCC ID 2AJGM-UV5R Amateur Radio by PO FUNG ELECTRONIC(HK) INTERNATIOANL GROUP COMPANY
FCC ID 2AGNDF8HP Dual-Band FM Amateur Radio by BTECH (BaoFeng Tech)
FCC ID ZP5BF-5R Two Way Radio by FUJIAN NAN'AN BAOFENG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.
FCC ID ZP5BF-5RA Walkie Talkie by FUJIAN NAN'AN BAOFENG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.
FCC ID ZP5BF-F9V2 Two Way Radio by FUJIAN NAN'AN BAOFENG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.
FCC ID ZVMUV-E5 Two Way Radio by VERO GLOBAL COMMUNICATION CO.,LTD
FCC ID QGDTD-Q8 Two-Way Radio by Tongdaxin Electronics Co., Ltd
FCC ID PODTH-UVF9 Two-way Radio by TYT ELECTRONICS CO., LTD
I think there are more that I missed.
Some of these have Part 90 certification.
Some of the newer ones in the past couple years have Part 15 certification for the receiver only (scanning reciever) and are supposed to be amateur radios.
None of them have Part 80 certification for marine use.
The ones with Part 90 certification that I have seen come out of the box in VFO mode fully front panel programmable,capable of transmitting on any frequency from ~136-175 MHz and ~400-521 MHz and capable of wideband FM on any frequency. They most likely received certification by filing fraudulent statements with the FCC.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Get your hands on one of the radios. Remove the battery and look for the FCC ID number on the back.
When the government gets back to work, run the FCC ID through this page: FCC ID Search

If Part 90 compliance is important, you can do much better than a Baofeng and not have to question legality. Lots of good radios out there on the used market.

WPXS472

Thanks for the input. So, it seems that indeed there is such a thing as a type accepted UV5-R. I remember back in the day when Motorola GP68s were being sold here in the US much to Motorola's chagrin. They claimed that they were export radios, not meant for domestic consumption. I have a uhf one, still in the box. It has a type acceptance number on the label. Later ones didn't have it, but I suspect they were identical to the ones that did. I used to know the code for changing from channel mode to VFO mode. An interesting aside about the GP68 was that the software wasn't for programming frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.