Introducing the SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The desk at work today....need a couple more ears to keep up!

yYWo8Yj.jpg

Left to right: Motorola APX 8000XE VHF/UHF/700/800, Uniden SDS100, Motorola APX 6000XE 800Mhz, Uniden SDS200, Motorola APX 6000 800Mhz.

Marshall KE4ZNR

mrf1022

I have 14 desktop scanners I do not need a GPS for each one that is the price of another SDS200. This is like adding all options to every car and charging you for them if you want them need then or not.
I question the need for GPS at all if they sit in one place. If the desk they sit on is mobile you might be better served by connecting them all to a computer via USB and having one GPS receiver for the computer. You can then update the scanners via the “location update” command with whatever coordinates your computer has received from the GPS unit. This seems like a better idea than 14 different GPS receivers.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

{snip}

Left to right: Motorola APX 8000XE VHF/UHF/700/800, Uniden SDS100, Motorola APX 6000XE 800Mhz, Uniden SDS200, Motorola APX 6000 800Mhz.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Hey Marshall, honest option if you compare the APX to the SDS models as far as audio/reception? I figured I'd go ahead and ask that since it's related to the quality of the SDS line (which, by what I've seen, is excellent). Obviously there is a difference between a $700 scanner and radio that cost 10x that but...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey Marshall, honest option if you compare the APX to the SDS models as far as audio/reception? I figured I'd go ahead and ask that since it's related to the quality of the SDS line (which, by what I've seen, is excellent). Obviously there is a difference between a $700 scanner and radio that cost 10x that but...

The SDS100/200 is pretty darn close. I daily carry the 8000XE on the left and the regular 6000 on the far right as well as the SDS100 and the beta SDS200 and the volume on the APX is a little louder and obviously the public safety grade battery lasts longer on the APX's (duh) but both of the SDS models handle the system I help maintain well (a simulcast system) as well as the statewide VIPER system and the Harris P25 system a couple counties away (Johnston Co). I am able to import the 9000+ RIDs on my system along with alpha tags into Sentinel & Proscan which makes keeping up with the system a piece of cake. The 200 has the large easy to read display that I have always wanted.
Marshall KE4ZNR

leegreen1021

I question the need for GPS at all if they sit in one place. If the desk they sit on is mobile you might be better served by connecting them all to a computer via USB and having one GPS receiver for the computer. You can then update the scanners via the “location update” command with whatever coordinates your computer has received from the GPS unit. This seems like a better idea than 14 different GPS receivers.

GPS should come embedded but I think it's receivers have to be in direct view of Geo-stationary sats but how do phones work?
You can use GPS with a base sds200 setup but it is only gonna max out your basic zip-code and a little farther anyways.
If you punch in your zip-code without GPS it I believe it concentrates and makes the manual 1-50mile reception tune-able.
I might have misunderstood this.

With my BC885 it seems to work that way.
I use it mobile of course but as a base I can get trunking from 70 to 80 mile away sitting in my living room and all I have is a wilson cb antenna w/bnc hanging on the side of my house.
My only problem is it seems I hear half the conversations/audio sometimes because all bands(?) are walking on each other.
On the highway everything seems more divided up I guess of less concentrated transmissions.
This will be great with the sds200 to be able to zero in on a conversation and hear only that and even record it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The SDS100/200 is pretty darn close. I daily carry the 8000XE on the left and the regular 6000 on the far right as well as the SDS100 and the beta SDS200 and the volume on the APX is a little louder and obviously the public safety grade battery lasts longer on the APX's (duh) but both of the SDS models handle the system I help maintain well (a simulcast system) as well as the statewide VIPER system and the Harris P25 system a couple counties away (Johnston Co). I am able to import the 9000+ RIDs on my system along with alpha tags into Sentinel & Proscan which makes keeping up with the system a piece of cake. The 200 has the large easy to read display that I have always wanted.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks. This is what I expected but it's good to have it confirmed.

gillham

Feed Provider
Marshall KE4ZNR

My APX 7000 vs my SDS100; I will say out performs the SDS100 - but not by much. But you're comparing a purpose built public safety radio to a consumer all-band scanner. On simulcast systems my APX grabs things quicker than the SDS100, but not my much - and I'm not really doing a fair comparison - because I'm scanning conventional channels on the SDS100 as well. At some point I'd like to set them side by side, along with my 436HP - and have them scan identical TGs. And also drag them near a cell site which has historically given me static, even on the APX 7000.

Peerlessk

Some of you should jump on youtube and listen to the SDS200 for yourselves. There are enough videos posted to answer your questions, especially with respect to audio quality.

the reason I asked about sound quality is because a video is not the same quality as if I had the sds200 in front of me . I don't see the reason to point anyone to youtube for accurate sound quality . I would like a hands on perspective is all

allend

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has been answered or not but can somebody open up a 996P2 and a 536HP and see if Uniden is using the same speaker or is the speaker of the SDS-200 a newer and upgraded one? Just curious. If this has been answered please insert the link

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC

yYWo8Yj.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall that SDS200 is one sexy radio, and that sure is one impressive lineup of radios. I sure do like the neon green display, that looks fantastic! Thanks for the size perspective, mine is ordered and can't wait to get my hands on it!

JD
kf4anc

allend

Premium Subscriber
Some of you should jump on youtube and listen to the SDS200 for yourselves. There are enough videos posted to answer your questions, especially with respect to audio quality.

OMG... This makes absolutely no sense on being able to judge audio quality on a video of scanner on YouTube. Until you physically have the radio in your hand its almost impossible to make that judgement. The questions are being asked since they is already a handful of SDS-200 radios out there.

phask

Premium Subscriber
What I think is great audio may sound like crap to you.

My ears are so bad I see little difference between a SDS100, a 536 a HP1, If I can hear it, no hum and understand the comm., I'm fine.
I see no reason to have Polk Audio quality from a scanner.

I run a couple od $10.00 external speakers on the 536 and 200 - sound the same to my ears.

mkt853

OMG... This makes absolutely no sense on being able to judge audio quality on a video of scanner on YouTube. Until you physically have the radio in your hand its almost impossible to make that judgement. The questions are being asked since they is already a handful of SDS-200 radios out there.
You cannot make a hands on judgement until you buy the scanner and try it out (as you said). One person's "audio sounds great" is another person's "too bassy and muffled." You saw this with the SDS100 - some units worked like a charm for some, and those people raved about it, while others were disappointed. Asking subjective questions will likely yield the full gamut of responses which is not very helpful. I suggested youtube because the very people you are asking opinions from have posted videos, some quite lengthy and across a variety of systems, where you can judge for yourself. That's really the next best thing from actually owning it, and a much truer hands on than just asking someone whether feature XYZ is bad/good/great. The only other suggestion I have is to visit a local dealer to do a hands on for yourself before plunking down seven hundo plus tax if there is any doubt.

Peerlessk

Time will tell . Not trying to be an ass . I’m just saying YouTube and its scaled down audio playback is the last source for a audio review of anything .

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.