General chit-chat, Likes/Dislikes, Wishes, Rants/Raves, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Well, there is still very little known about the radio other than what the beta testers and UPMan have already shared. I'm always puzzled at the posts that slam the radio before it's even in the hands of consumers. That said, I'm not running out to pre-order it either.

I'm eager to learn more about the radio and can't wait to see the official "unboxing" video that is likely still several weeks away. I'm glad that it incorporates a "one cord solution" for the GPS and, while I was disappointed that the puck won't be included, it makes perfect sense to offer it as a separate purchase item.

I'm not terribly optimistic about a real remote head, though. I'd gladly accept being wrong about it, however.

Ubbe

I wonder how many people that actually will install a €700 scanner in their car and don't worry about it? They have to park at secure places both at home and when they are away. It's a quick job to smash the window and go berserk with a crowbar in the installation and run away with the valuables before the owner have time to run out and catch the perpetratior, or perhaps he shouldn't if he doesn't want to be part of a shootout. At home they could use a signal repeater at your door so that the key signal from inside the house reaches your keyless car standing in the driveway and opens it and then could strip it of steering wheel, lights and everything worth money without the alarm going off, or connect a ODB programmer and start the car and drive away and do the stripping somewhere else.

I guess most people would take a portable scanner with them in the car and then take it with them when they leave. Maybe 5% of BCD536HP users actually have them installed in a vehicle? All modern cars are really diffucult to install additional radios to and portable scanners are much easier to use.

Make a scanner that prioritise base use at home and mobile use as a compromised second hand option, maybe using a vehicle kit with an expansion box with easy to access connectors, if that is actually needed.

/Ubbe

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Ubbe, I guess it depends on the person. I know several hams that have mobile HF gear installed, that is in the same price range, plus add in the large antenna for HF work (Compared to scanning).

I know my 536 spends most of its life in my truck, but I live in a very rural area. If I lived in the inner-city, I most likely would not.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I think dealers ought to offer buy one get one free on all new scanner. Just sayin....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I wonder how many people that actually will install a €700 scanner in their car and don't worry about it? They have to park at secure places both at home and when they are away. It's a quick job to smash the window and go berserk with a crowbar in the installation and run away with the valuables before the owner have time to run out and catch the perpetratior, or perhaps he shouldn't if he doesn't want to be part of a shootout. At home they could use a signal repeater at your door so that the key signal from inside the house reaches your keyless car standing in the driveway and opens it and then could strip it of steering wheel, lights and everything worth money without the alarm going off, or connect a ODB programmer and start the car and drive away and do the stripping somewhere else.

I guess most people would take a portable scanner with them in the car and then take it with them when they leave. Maybe 5% of BCD536HP users actually have them installed in a vehicle? All modern cars are really diffucult to install additional radios to and portable scanners are much easier to use.

Make a scanner that prioritise base use at home and mobile use as a compromised second hand option, maybe using a vehicle kit with an expansion box with easy to access connectors, if that is actually needed.

/Ubbe
Why not I already have multi thousand dollar radios and antennas on my truck. What's another $800.

mule1075

Feed Provider

/Ubbe
It is more than 5% I am guessing. And I know a good many that have them installed mobile.

goodmore

So customers actually think the newly announced scanner will perform better than its portable family member. Hey it just might. But then what about the performance of that portable? I realize that there are a vast number of systems out there being monitored from a vast number of locations. Maybe we expect too much from scanner manufaturers.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how many people that actually will install a €700 scanner in their car and don't worry about it? They have to park at secure places both at home and when they are away.

Depending on how and where the scanner is mounted in the vehicle, it can be very easy to make the installed scanner inconspicuous. In my case, due to my modest window tinting, the use of a cheap sunshade in the front window, and a plain black "dew rag," my 436 is just about invisible from the outside.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Depending on how and where the scanner is mounted in the vehicle, it can be very easy to make the installed scanner inconspicuous. In my case, due to my modest window tinting, the use of a cheap sunshade in the front window, and a plain black "dew rag," my 436 is just about invisible from the outside.
Just leave $100 Bill's on the console and they won't mess with the scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
In my neighborhood you can't even leave a soda can in your cupholder, they will smash your window just to get the 5 cent deposit.
So my HF rig my DMR, and my Fusion radios aren't safe? Not to mention the $400+ tar heel antenna and my 2m/440 antennas. Oh my I better not buy a soda.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So my HF rig my DMR, and my Fusion radios aren't safe? Not to mention the $400+ tar heel antenna and my 2m/440 antennas. Oh my I better not buy a soda.

Oh wait scanners are illegal in this State mounted in autos. Yeah, I know except for licensed Hams.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
But on the other hand I had 2 windows smashed in two different vehicles just to steal cheap radar detectors. And they even stole a radio shack scanner antenna by cutting the coax. Dumb #$$'s

eaf1956

Feed Provider
But on the other hand I had 2 windows smashed in two different vehicles just to steal cheap radar detectors. And they even stole a radio shack scanner antenna by cutting the coax. Dumb #$$'s

But then that was in Michigan.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I really HATE that I was given the UNPAID Friday off and I don't have a new SDS 200 to play with....

Status
Not open for further replies.