auto tuner wont tune specific bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5bsi

I have an Yaesu FT-450d connected to a Chameleon EMCOMM 2 long wire. I had the antenna set up in front of the mobile home and the antenna ends were supported on metal poles. (You do what you have to do). The internal tuner tuned all the bands. The other day I moved the antenna to the back yard. The balun is connected to the corner of the house and the antenna end is mounted in a tree. Antenna is now perpendicular to the house and away from other obstructions. Trouble is that I cannot tune 80 meters. It tunes 60 and 160 meters but not 80.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It appears as if moving the antenna created a higher SWR on 80. Like most internal tuners, the Kenwood tuner probably can't tune beyond a certain SWR threshold. If you could check the SWR reading with a meter (or an analyzer), it might tell you something. Ultimately, you may need to get an external tuner with a broader tuning range. Another possibility... If you changed out the coax when you moved the antenna, you might need to change the length a bit to get a better match on 80.

prcguy

I believe the FT-450 series tuners will correct up to a 3:1 mismatch and the Chameleon can easily present a match worse than that due to its design. You probably lucked out with one location and not with the other. You can either put in more coax to add some loss to the system so the tuner can tune, or get an LDG or similar tuner that can handle up to 10:1.

If its on the edge of working, usually adding 30 or so feet of RG-58 type coax can make it work or if its lower loss coax it might take more.

FeedForward

The auto antenna tuner in various rigs will not do much with a long wire. The most you can expect with a setup like this is for the tuner to keep the transmitter section from overheating and destroying itself. If you HAVE to use a long wire, then you HAVE to have a real antenna tuner capable of matching the kind of unknown impedances you throw at it. If you can put up a long wire, then I don't see why you can't cut it in the middle and feed it with coax or open line. How about a vertical?
FeedForward

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have an Yaesu FT-450d connected to a Chameleon EMCOMM 2 long wire. I had the antenna set up in front of the mobile home and the antenna ends were supported on metal poles. (You do what you have to do). The internal tuner tuned all the bands. The other day I moved the antenna to the back yard. The balun is connected to the corner of the house and the antenna end is mounted in a tree. Antenna is now perpendicular to the house and away from other obstructions. Trouble is that I cannot tune 80 meters. It tunes 60 and 160 meters but not 80.
Looking at their webpage I see it comes only with a 60' wire for antenna. You did not mention if you added a counterpoise to the supplied stud and wing nut on the unit. If not then add something in the 15-20' range. Good chance it will change the tuning on the other bands and might bring 80 in. Hopefully not knocking a different band out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.