BC796D programming errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi Everyone,
I am currently working on an old Uniden BC796D scanner. This scanner is going to be used as a backup to our new scanner. It has worked fine for the last 15 years, however I am currently trying to reprogram it with up to date frequencys and talkgroups. I have the original programming software running on a windows XP home machine. I am connecting it using a genuine serial port and I have tested the cable to make sure it works. Every time I try to read the scanner banks I get a warning that says this is not the right type of scanner for the software. I can not read the scanners banks and I can not write to it. I have the baud rate set to 9600, as per PC maximum. I have the scanner set pc control to 9600 baud. I tried going through the help guide but it did not help much. I have tried many different baud rates and settings and com ports with no luck. After too long, The computer would use 100% cpu and eventually crash. Has anyone had this error or does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

katt02

Katt
I am using the official Uniden BC796D SS software that is for the scanner specifically. I have tried the highest, lowest, and all in between baud rates.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's the honorable vendor that will suggest you try something without mentioning they too have software, so I will for them.

There is a free trial version I believe. ProScan

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,
I am currently working on an old Uniden BC796D scanner. This scanner is going to be used as a backup to our new scanner. It has worked fine for the last 15 years, however I am currently trying to reprogram it with up to date frequencys and talkgroups. I have the original programming software running on a windows XP home machine. I am connecting it using a genuine serial port and I have tested the cable to make sure it works. Every time I try to read the scanner banks I get a warning that says this is not the right type of scanner for the software. I can not read the scanners banks and I can not write to it. I have the baud rate set to 9600, as per PC maximum. I have the scanner set pc control to 9600 baud. I tried going through the help guide but it did not help much. I have tried many different baud rates and settings and com ports with no luck. After too long, The computer would use 100% cpu and eventually crash. Has anyone had this error or does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

Are you using the front or rear serial connector?

RBMTS

There is no "front" serial connector on a 796. Only the rear DB15 serial port.

To Katt02: Have you turned on the serial port via the scanner settings? If not, push the "Menu" key; Scroll to "System Option"; select "PC Control"; then select your baud setting to match the PC port. See if that works for you.

katt02

Katt
Thanks for the reply's! to answer RBMTS' question, I have changing the settings in the scanner itself. I have tried from the highest to lowest baud rate and I always make sure the computer and scanner are set to the same rate. To answer iMONITOR, according the the manual the only time I would need a null modem cable is if I were to link two scanners directly to clone them. Finally, ofd8001, I am working on finding a windows XP version of the proscan software. Thank you everyone here for helping trying to solve this problem.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply's! to answer RBMTS' question, I have changing the settings in the scanner itself. I have tried from the highest to lowest baud rate and I always make sure the computer and scanner are set to the same rate. To answer iMONITOR, according the the manual the only time I would need a null modem cable is if I were to link two scanners directly to clone them. Finally, ofd8001, I am working on finding a windows XP version of the proscan software. Thank you everyone here for helping trying to solve this problem.

Doesn't ProScan run on XP? It's been several years sense I tested on a XP machine.
It's not the computer baud rate you want to set. Those settings accessed from the Device Manager are for legacy modems. They don't mater. You want to set the baud rate of the software and scanner. I always recommend the highest baud rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.