SDS100/SDS200: No Encryption notification with Uniden scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I have a GRE PSR-800 scanner, updated to Whistler WS1080. I live in an area that has some encryption, but not all. When I come across an encrypted signal the scanner emits soft beeps like a landline telephone busy signal, and shows a capital "E" on the screen.
I appreciate that the Uniden scanners silence all this so you don't even know its happening. But, is there a way to configure a Uniden scanner (I have HP-1, 536HP, and SDS100) so you know when an encrypted signal is being transmitted? Sometimes I would like to know. Maybe there is a way and I've missed it all these years?

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
The only time I see the SDS100 stop scanning is on an audio signal that I can hear, while the PSR-800 actually stops while the encrypted signal is being transmitted. I must be missing a setting?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
What would be neat for Uniden to implement is a busy channel beep similiar to the duplex 480 system lasd uses so you'd just hear that particular tone knowing it's busy. Could be firmware thrown out and option to enable or disable it.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I think is also displays "ENC" in the display so you know it is an encrypted TG.
If this is so, I must have something not turned on on my three Uniden scanners. My Whistler, sitting right next to my three Unidens, stops, beeps and shows an "E", while my Uniden's just keep scanning, no stopping, nothing.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
If this is so, I must have something not turned on on my three Uniden scanners. My Whistler, sitting right next to my three Unidens, stops, beeps and shows an "E", while my Uniden's just keep scanning, no stopping, nothing.

Glad you responded, it motivated me to search my SDS100 manual and sure enough “ENC” is NOT listed.

I know that “ENC” is displayed on my 396T, 396XT, 996T, 486HP, 586HP but I do not remember seeing it on my HP-1 or SDS100. So, it appears you are correct!

I guess the SDS100 already has a packed screen of Info and Uniden decided to leave “ENC” out. Sure was news to me, so thanks!

W5RGP

yep your missing something all of my 536's and both 436's show ENC

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Under the date stamp “ENCRY”
That’s all ya get
63aef6a57c9fca41c084397e870506f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Nice! I have never seen that on my SDS100. I’m monitoring right now along side my PSR800....
I get Data, Link, P25. Maybe mine is blowing right by the encrypted channels.
Wait, I just saw it, but it was so fast, a few milliseconds! So sorry, my fault. Is yours staying on for at least a half second or longer?

Last edited:

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Nice! I have never seen that on my SDS100. I’m monitoring right now along side my PSR800....
I get Data, Link, P25. Maybe mine is blowing right by the encrypted channels.
Wait, I just saw it, but it was so fast, a few milliseconds! So sorry, my fault. Is yours staying on for at least a half second or longer?

Most of the time it blows right by it.
For this purpose I locked on the channel to show what pops up on screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.