Last of the scanners: Are police security measures and new technologies killing an American obsession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

Cut him some slack. He articulated his viewpoint well and disagrees. I respect the way he chose to extricate himself from the conversation. Too many people these days double and triple down, making personal attacks on the way out. He did none of that. :cool:

radioman50

The RCMP station where i live in B.C has gone encrypted for a number of years, however there are a bunch of RCMP detachments in B.C that are still unencrypted. Been debating if i wanted to get a P25 scanner or just a regular scanner for my birthday.

radio3353

Cut him some slack. He articulated his viewpoint well and disagrees. I respect the way he chose to extricate himself from the conversation. Too many people these days double and triple down, making personal attacks on the way out. He did none of that. :cool:

Sorry, mom.

WRCM

You're absolutely right, Hans. Couldn't agree more.

Peerlessk

Couldn’t and I’ve been reading elsewhere about encryption also being switched back to unencrypted? Now don’t burn here but isn’t it possible to remain transparent because of encryption that systems switch back ? I also feel down the road a voice will be heard . Maybe register radios like guns . Let those without a felony have access to scanning ? Makes sense to me

Hans13

Maybe register radios like guns . Let those without a felony have access to scanning ? Makes sense to me

Absolutely not. Nope. Nope. Nope.

And, what about those places, like where I live, that firearms aren't registered? Radios will be but firearms will not?

Samuel Adams said:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I wish I knew if more people around my age that were into scanners.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I hope there is a comeback. I would hate for the title of this thread to fully come to pass ...

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
"Are police security measures and new technologies killing an American obsession?"

Maybe, but I think some in this thread are more to blame.

EMTJD

I am glad at least a majority of our public services here still use analog. I wonder if a lot of this encryption and transition to digital mode is industry driven and promoted.

I have no doubt about that. Other than specific communications such as detectives and gang units, there is really no legitimate reason (in MY mind) for why general, routine dispatch and "tac" communications should be encrypted.

I see absolutely NO legitimate reason for the encryption of Fire channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.