Yaesu: FTM-400XDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

Make sure it’s the DXR version as the original XR had very poor GPS performance. For base station operation you can bypass the GPS and use a manually entered lat/long.

Will do! My intent is to make a trade/purchase for a brand new unused model, with the intent of paying the difference after trade value is determined on my end.

MTC shows DXR version.

KD2FIQ

I was recently looking at the FTM-400XDR. Interesting indeed. Ever since I migrated my Kenwood V71A to the the mobile, I have been missing a nice dual bander in the shack (using a Kenwood TM-281A and a Yaesu FT-991 now). Kinda holding out for the Icom IC-9600 but I know that may be some serious sticker shock especially before any discounts come around. How's the programming on the FTM-400XDR? CHIRP?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The FTM400 can be programmed from the VFO, (virtual) keypad, programming software via SD card, or programming software via direct cable upload. Available programming applications include a basic Yaesu app (free) or the RT Systems app ($). I don't think that CHIRP supports the FTM400, but I could be wrong. They are good rigs (I have four of them). Dual-band, true dual receive, remote head, extended receive, etc. The display is especially awesome and the scan speed is very fast.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
As I recall, you only have two "banks" that memory channels can be segregated into for scanning. Is that correct?

As you suggest, the FTM400 does not have "channel banks" in the normal sense. For scanning purposes, each individual channel can be set to SELECT, SKIP, or OFF. Additionally, global scan can be set to ALL MEMORIES or SELECT only. While I would agree that true channel banks for scanning would be a welcome improvement, the existing arrangement is not as limiting as it might appear. I typically scan between numerous channels and I have found that the combination of the two (upper and lower) "banks", along with the other scan settings, have been adequate.

k6cpo

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
How's the programming on the FTM-400XDR? CHIRP?
I use RTSystems software for it. It was $25 or close to that for the download. I then wrote the data to a MicroSD card and then have the radio read the information. Additionally, programming it directly for a one off is not problematic either.

I use RTSystems to program other radios as well. This makes programming new radios quite easy as I can typically copy and paste from one radio configuration into another. This makes it easy for me to remember channel numbers and jump to the same from radio to radio. Of course there are new or old frequencies and repeaters pairs that come and go. Again, this makes it easy to update one and then copy and paste to others. By others I mean other or same brand mobile radios as well as handhelds from different manufacturers.

I have used Chirp, but only for a CCR radio.
I have not used the Yaesu provided software on any Yaesu I own. Well, I opened it up once and saw how limited it was and uninstalled it.

mrweather

I just used the free Yaesu software to program mind. I've spent many an hour slaving away on Motorola Saber RSS; Yaesu's software was a breath of fresh air!

KE0GXN

Yaesu actually provided an adapter like this with the FTM-350AR radio, which is similar (in some respects) to the FTM-400, but without fusion. I had to but a stereo to mono adapter to be able to use a single speaker with the 350.

I just don't get why Yaesu did not incorporate two speaker outputs likethe Icom (ID-5100) and the Kenwood (TM-71A)....makes no sense to me not to on a dual RX radio. I use dual speakers on both of those radios and enjoy the VFO separation it provides.

My club is getting ready to install a DMR machine on one of our local towers. I may hold off and look into getting a good DMR radio instead. I got a few more months to decide which way I go anyway.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I just don't get why Yaesu did not incorporate two speaker outputs likethe Icom (ID-5100) and the Kenwood (TM-71A)....makes no sense to me not to on a dual RX radio. I use dual speakers on both of those radios and enjoy the VFO separation it provides.

My club is getting ready to install a DMR machine on one of our local towers. I may hold off and look into getting a good DMR radio instead. I got a few more months to decide which way I go anyway.

I'm not familiar with the two quoted radio's, but I think you will find on the 400 space is a premium on the back panel. They did supply two audio channel just different than expected.

k6cpo

You've got three different manufacturers with three different philosophies and each will build their radios in the manner they prefer. It's kinda like asking why do Ford and Chevy build compact pickup trucks, but Ram doesn't.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, different philosophies.

The Kenwood TM-D710/TM-V71 back panel (they are the same) has a smaller heat sink, thus placing more demand on forced ventilation from the fan, which makes room for two speaker jacks, a 6-pin mini-DIN for analog connections to external equipment, and an 8-pin mini-DIN for digital (RS-232) connections to external equipment, plus the usual SO-239 antenna connection and power cable.

The Yaesu FTM-400XD back panel has a larger heat sink, one stereo speaker jack, a combined 10-pin mini-DIN with both analog and digital connections (thus forcing the user to buy a splitter cable), plus the usual SO-239 antenna connection and power cable.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yes to use my FTM-400 with Signalink modem I bought a special data cable adaptor
from Yaesu via HRO part model CT-164. It is a short 10 pin male to 6 pin female cable.
Pricey at $29 plus $10 shipping.

Last edited:

KE0GXN

I'm not familiar with the two quoted radio's, but I think you will find on the 400 space is a premium on the back panel. They did supply two audio channel just different than expected.

Is what it is I guess. I'll figure out which route I go after the club gets the DMR machine up and running. I may just invest in a DMR radio and ditch the FTM-400 purchase all together. Either way, it seems the spliter work around will do if I decide otherwise.

KE0GXN

You've got three different manufacturers with three different philosophies and each will build their radios in the manner they prefer. It's kinda like asking why do Ford and Chevy build compact pickup trucks, but Ram doesn't.

My Dodge Dakota is somewhat compact ;)

wrath

I realize this may be a small PITA but if you have an iPhone you can get an openspot 2 hotspot or if you tote a notebook along that works to ,it will transcode the YSF to DMR , So that single 400 will get you both with a hot spot , i detest the the CCRs especially on analog there audio is crap ( i also live in a digital dessert ,so hot spot was neccesary) ,but the yaesu can be transcoded to DMR because they use the same codec , so I carry a D 74 for dstar and an FT 1 for fusion / DMR and if I can see it I will be getting the FT2 and 400 to replace my 710 ( i have cataracts and wear tri Focals, so the FT 2 is dicey) in the next month or so they will update the 400 firmware to hotspot and wires X speaker mic so you will be able to talk and connect with the same radio and no HRI 200 , the only time you will actualy need one is if you want to host your own node page .i love my 710g but dont mind finding a new rabbit hole to fall into the 710g has the built in echolink node and IGate so it wont be a wasted radio the one i currently dedicate to weather at home will be joined from the former mobile so this second one will do the other stuff.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KE0GXN

I realize this may be a small PITA but if you have an iPhone you can get an openspot 2 hotspot or if you tote a notebook along that works to ,it will transcode the YSF to DMR , So that single 400 will get you both with a hot spot , i detest the the CCRs especially on analog there audio is crap ( i also live in a digital dessert ,so hot spot was neccesary) ,but the yaesu can be transcoded to DMR because they use the same codec , so I carry a D 74 for dstar and an FT 1 for fusion / DMR and if I can see it I will be getting the FT2 and 400 to replace my 710 ( i have cataracts and wear tri Focals, so the FT 2 is dicey) in the next month or so they will update the 400 firmware to hotspot and wires X speaker mic so you will be able to talk and connect with the same radio and no HRI 200 , the only time you will actualy need one is if you want to host your own node page .i love my 710g but dont mind finding a new rabbit hole to fall into the 710g has the built in echolink node and IGate so it wont be a wasted radio the one i currently dedicate to weather at home will be joined from the former mobile so this second one will do the other stuff.

Thanks for info! I too rather not mess with any CCRs, if I do go the DMR route I was considering one of the new Alinco DMR radios. However, your suggestion may work too.

You have any info links you can provide on how the YSF to DMR set-up would need to be configured?

Thanks again!

wrath

Thanks for info! I too rather not mess with any CCRs, if I do go the DMR route I was considering one of the new Alinco DMR radios. However, your suggestion may work too.

You have any info links you can provide on how the YSF to DMR set-up would need to be configured?

Thanks again!
No i don't have any links but i have the openspot version 1 currently and you just setup three profiles one for each digital mode , there was a previous update on the yaesu firmware that allowed you to enter your DMR I'd number then pick your 70 cm simplex frequency that is what you transmit and receive on frequency will be you don't have to mess around with color codes or slots , but putting it into transcode is like checking a few boxes I hear it's even simpler than that on version 3,if you look on you tube there are in-depth reviews an how to from K6UDA he has had every hotspot that has existed from rasberry pie on up, he calls his show elmer with an attitude , hes a pretty funny guy ( retired federal agent so he is into the basics radios ,guns, knives and blowing stuff up) i have been watching for about a year 1/2 it was his review of opensot 1 that got me off the fence to buy one , until i got one the only time i did digital was when i had a doctors appointment in the city. But watch his vidoes there amusing and informative and he demonstrates them thouroughly as for YSF i am pretty sure i saved this reference volume site i will look that up and post that for you.also there is some how to from open spot just Google shark RF openspot they have a great support forum that you can get into and talk with the developer sometimes the reply in seconds sometimes it's the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.