Video: SDS-100 monitoring P25 Phase I simulcast system

Status
Not open for further replies.

racin06

I thought I would post a video of my SDS-100 monitoring the Indianapolis Fire/EMS on the Indianapolis Department of Public System, which is a P25 Phase I simulcast system. I’m located 7.5 and 11.3 miles respectively from the two closest towers in the system. The antenna on the SDS-100 is the Remtronix 800MHz. As you can see, my SDS-100 monitors this system very well. It seems that the dissatisfied SDS-100 owners attract most of the attention. Though the simple truth is that most of the SDS-100 owners are very satisfied with their purchase. Perhaps this video may assist those who are considering purchasing the SDS-100.

CQ

Just remember who's going to be there next time someone wants to union strike. :censored:

racin06

The way the fire/EMS dispatch system works in Indy is that when a 911 call is received, the operator enters the information into the computer system. Within a few seconds, the system determines the closest fire station available and the system dispatches the fire/EMS units via text-to-voice technology. Actually, it's now better...Indy further updated both their police and fire dispatch systems a couple of months ago. Both systems now know the geolocation of every police, fire and EMS vehicle in real-time and use that data to determine what units are dispatched to the incident. Amazing technology.

radio3353

The way the fire/EMS dispatch system works in Indy is that when a 911 call is received, the operator enters the information into the computer system. Within a few seconds, the system determines the closest fire station available and the system dispatches the fire/EMS units via text-to-voice technology. Actually, it's now better...Indy further updated both their police and fire dispatch systems a couple of months ago. Both systems now know the geolocation of every police, fire and EMS vehicle in real-time and use that data to determine what units are dispatched to the incident. Amazing technology.

Philadelphia has something similar for EMS. Every medic unit has GPS enabling the radio room to dispatch the nearest unit to a call even if it is out of the units district. Not quite as much automation as your system - humans still do the dispatching in Philly.

djeplett

That must be common up in the north, too. I've heard pages on the SAFE-T system as I traveled from Chicago to Detroit on I-94/294 and you could tell they were computer generated.

More on topic... I took that route a few times with a TRX-1 and it was an excercise in frustration; garbled transmissions galore due to simulcast. Not to mention having to turn scanlists on & off while driving.

This last trip during Xmas with the SDS100 & GPS... bliss.

I don't know why some folks have had such terrible experiences. I don't doubt the negative reports. I'm sure it doesn't work everywhere. But for me... so far... worth every freakin' penny.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Just curious is your SDS100 a later model? Do you know the serial number range for your unit? Reason I ask is that it appears later units produced seem to work better than the earlier units. Mine is one of the early units (under 750 serial number) & finally had to send it for warranty repair due to degrading over time reception on the 700/800 band.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I don't own an SDS100. I have a 536HP. Don't want to rain on your parade. But, the SDS100, sounds like an improvement over what an X36Hp can do now, albeit, with a much cleaner audio, I'm not fully convinced yet. Glad it is working out for you, though. I might get and SDSxxx series radio later down the road, only for it's scanner features, but for the time being, I'm getting something else. Thanks for posting the video.

djeplett

Just curious is your SDS100 a later model? Do you know the serial number range for your unit? Reason I ask is that it appears later units produced seem to work better than the earlier units. Mine is one of the early units (under 750 serial number) & finally had to send it for warranty repair due to degrading over time reception on the 700/800 band.
Not sure if your question is intended for the OP or me... But in my case, my SDS100 is a later model as it came with the big battery.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
My serial number is under 150 and it works perfect! The firmware updates is what brought the radio up to working properly. Some people didn't give it a chance. I was disappointed in the beginning also, but hung in there and now it works better than any of my scanners or any scanner that I've ever had.

bdp278

Feed Provider
My serial number is under 150 and it works perfect! The firmware updates is what brought the radio up to working properly. Some people didn't give it a chance. I was disappointed in the beginning also, but hung in there and now it works better than any of my scanners or any scanner that I've ever had.

Glad to hear your unit works well. Seems like my unit was just mediocre at best, yes better at the simulcast P25 P1 system here, but even with the current firmware updates, reception just degraded over time to the point whereas I was missing conversations 50% or more as compared to my Unication G5. Perhaps when it returns from warranty repair it will perform as well as yours does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Glad to hear your unit works well. Seems like my unit was just mediocre at best, yes better at the simulcast P25 P1 system here, but even with the current firmware updates, reception just degraded over time to the point whereas I was missing conversations 50% or more as compared to my Unication G5. Perhaps when it returns from warranty repair it will perform as well as yours does.
Thanks, hope yours turns out well once you get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.