SDS 200 Speaker Impedence

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I know it's early, but I looked in the manual and didn't see it. What is the impedance of the external speaker for the SDS 200?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I know it's early, but I looked in the manual and didn't see it. What is the impedance of the external speaker for the SDS 200?
I believe it is a headphone / earphone jack - it doesn't provide enough power to drive a speaker adequately.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

The specs label it as a 'Speaker Jack' on the back of the SDS-200. Uniden's speakers are 8 ohms, so I'd say it would be a good chance the jack is also 8 ohms. Checking the manual and although it mentions using an external speaker, there is no mention of the impedance. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I didn't think to look at the Uniden speakers for specifications.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
The specs label it as a 'Speaker Jack' on the back of the SDS-200. Uniden's speakers are 8 ohms, so I'd say it would be a good chance the jack is also 8 ohms. Checking the manual and although it mentions using an external speaker, there is no mention of the impedance. :rolleyes:

I did a Search of this site using 32 ohm as my key words & found that UpMan stated that ALL Uniden scanners have 2-32 Ohm headphone jack impedance.

So, your assumption of 8 ohms is in this range & is correct.

Someone might try searching using the key words "Uniden speaker impedance"

cmdrwill

Most speaker amplifier chips do support 2 to 32 ohm loads.

"UpMan stated that ALL Uniden scanners have 2-32 Ohm headphone jack impedance."
Maybe .. UpMan meant that the speaker jack should drive a 2 to 32 ohm speaker.

Ear phone jacks have a series resistor to limit the output to something that will not blow you ears off.
So Speaker and Headphone jacks are different due to limiting the earphone jack output.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'll add - I have a couple very cheap small unknown impedance speakers I bought at Universal years ago - the 536, 996p2,870, and the SDS100 all sound the same through them.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
I have SDS100 and recently picked up Inland Pro Sound 2000 amplified stereo speakers for PC use. Any reason why I WOULD NOT use the Pro Sound 2000 and plug into the ear phone jack of the SDS100? I could not find impedance specs on the Inland Pro2000.

Last edited:

dfw1193

Just a note there are no specifications page in the sds200 manual just a page that lists features, not even detail on audio output power.

Status
Not open for further replies.