Monitoring mil frequencies when there is not a base close by

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

@spacellamaman CLT, meaning charlotte? which mil frq is 292.25?

see:

I found these via Radio Reference...Military Air Frequencies in North Carolina https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=5525

&

@trauts14 I'm in the same boat here in Arkansas but I have a great time listening to military aerial refueling. There are a couple of tracks near me that are often active. Check these maps and see if there is one near you, then find the corresponding frequencies lower on the page: Military Radio Comms VHF/UHF Frequencies

which i highly recommend as well. i'll try to make this easy on ya, a search by description for " NC"

Military Radio Comms VHF/UHF Frequencies

if you click the link, and then look at the results, i think you will find a good jumping off point for central North Carolina.

But you have to click on it. or else you won't see any results. N4CYA already answered your question. you should click on that link too. or else you won' see any results.

spacellamaman

i am programming the freqs in my yaesu ft-60. i need to grab and external dipole at some point. the frequencies from this page (Military Radio Comms VHF/UHF Frequencies) do not specify am/fm. are the freqs in the 200-300mhz range always AM? is it just the mil aviation freqs that are in AM?

no prob. glad to see you are making progress :)

now if its flying in the air, 99% of time its AM if its over 88mhz. 30-88mhz is going to be FM and/or NFM, generally either will work.

and if someone lists a vhf high/uhf freq relating to milcom use and don't specifically mention a modulation, its generally understood that AM is the unspoken default.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not to go too OT here, but the antenna (and coax) is just as important as knowing where to tune. ScanTennas, antennas from DPD Productions and Discones are all used for mil scanning. Remember a good radio connected to a poor antenna invariably produces poor results. Heck ypu might even get away with the off center fed dipole we have in our wiki

Mike

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
wtp, I too remember fondly the old nationwide 415.7 frequency, heard many very interesting transmissions there, including the Vice President making a phone call that should have been encrypted. Also in those days used a Radio Shack 2004

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Stanly County has a military training facility, with an airstrip.

Also, check low band VHF. That range can carry for quite a way, and the ground forces still use it.

Sent using Tapatalk

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Any chance you know the name of it or where it is in the county?

If it's the one I am thinking of its the Stanly County airport which is a joint civil and military public use airport.

Kvujstanlyco.jpg

JetWayOps

Banned
Banned
This is the only ones I am finding..

Stanly County Airport - Frequencies

Just glean the corresponding frequencies from the RCAG sites closest to you from the RR JAX, ATL and WAS ARTCC list in the GA, SC and NC databases and from the INT/APT APP/DEP and TRACON frequencies "Where applicable". AIRNAV pretty much mirrors RR with this info. Always helps to have a separate scanner running with "mystery or hole" frequencies programmed in them and when one becomes active just list it as active for further research and lock it out. Don't forget to post it here and maybe another member already has it listed as active and it's possible use like the Tropo, Skip Forum crew does with low band frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.