BCT15: BCT15 not receiving data bursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I have a weird problem with my BCT15. In my area analog public safety is nearing extinction, so I thought I'd use the BCT15 to receive amateur radio APRS packets and set up a RX-only I-Gate.

Oddly enough, I cannot get the scanner to audibly or visually receive APRS packets (AX.25 data). I have the scanner set to 144.390 (APRS in United States).

I have tried changing the modulation, just in case.
I have checked that DATA SKIP is OFF
I have checked that CTCSS is OFF
I have a 2M radio right next to it that is receiving and audibly playing the packets through the speaker
I switched antennas with the 2M radio, just in case
The scanner is receiving analog voice from distant-ish repeaters just fine (up to 40 miles away) in the VHF range.
I had a friend with an SDS100 monitor the same frequency, just in case it was a "Uniden" thing, but he can hear them fine. (I understand we are worlds apart in scanner technology between the 2 scanners).

At no time do I hear packets, have the squelch broken, or see the signal meter change at all despite knowing there are strong packet signals present.

Any ideas? What am I missing?
Thanks

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Are the packets able to be decoded by that scanner? I mean is their modulation a modulation the scanner supports?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a weird problem with my BCT15. In my area analog public safety is nearing extinction, so I thought I'd use the BCT15 to receive amateur radio APRS packets and set up a RX-only I-Gate.

Oddly enough, I cannot get the scanner to audibly or visually receive APRS packets (AX.25 data). I have the scanner set to 144.390 (APRS in United States).

I have tried changing the modulation, just in case.
I have checked that DATA SKIP is OFF
I have checked that CTCSS is OFF
I have a 2M radio right next to it that is receiving and audibly playing the packets through the speaker
I switched antennas with the 2M radio, just in case
The scanner is receiving analog voice from distant-ish repeaters just fine (up to 40 miles away) in the VHF range.
I had a friend with an SDS100 monitor the same frequency, just in case it was a "Uniden" thing, but he can hear them fine. (I understand we are worlds apart in scanner technology between the 2 scanners).

At no time do I hear packets, have the squelch broken, or see the signal meter change at all despite knowing there are strong packet signals present.

Any ideas? What am I missing?
Thanks

You said CTCSS is off, how about DCS?

How close are the transmitters? Is the radio suffering desense?

Sent using Tapatalk

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
It's not a supported data protocol on this scanner, but I'm just looking for the raw, undecoded audio from the scanner.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
You said CTCSS is off, how about DCS?

How close are the transmitters? Is the radio suffering desense?

Sent using Tapatalk

Transmitters are all mobile, so distance will vary. DCS is off. Desense unlikely, there are no strong VHF signals present in my immediate area and I don't detect anything on other VHF radios I have here nor do I see anything on a basically spectrum analyzation with an SDR.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
You need a discriminator output most likely.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So you think that the scanner is filtering out the data burst? What would be the point of the receiver having a "Data Skip" option if it wouldn't pass data through the audio filtering circuit to the speaker in the first place?
Just thinking out loud.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so far everybody. The scanner is parked on 144.390, and not scanning. I don't have any audio patch cables hooked to it, I'm only listening through the built-in speaker at this time (I didn't want to bother to buy an audio cable until I got the scanner part working).

Yes, I do have an SDR dongle, but I use it for other stuff so I wouldn't be able to leave it parked on a freq dedicated to APRS.

And mancow, thank you for the info.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I have, last night I listened to 144.390 with the SDR for quite a while and heard nothing except the data bursts I was expecting.
Have you used your SDR to do a spectrum sweep? Making sure there is no other conflicting signal?

Sent using Tapatalk

Interestingly, I acquired an old-school BC785D (no P25 card installed), and am getting the same result on it as I am with the BCT15.

Status
Not open for further replies.