rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Still determining that. I run Unitrunker a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I have AEGIS 1 and active with BCFR on it right now. As my Harris is picking it up.!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Aegis? I DOUBT THAT VERY MUCH. Brevard doesn't use the Aegis format. It's horribly obsolete in any event, and not even supported anymore.

If you speak Batwing-ese, Aegis is generally akin to VSELP while ProVoice is IMBE based.

And even provoice won't help you to listen to the SLERS system. It's much better protected than that. How can anybody not know by this time that the SLERS system uses ESK and encryption? It's been common knowledge for better than a decade.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Aegis? I DOUBT THAT VERY MUCH. Brevard doesn't use the Aegis format. It's horribly obsolete in any event, and not even supported anymore.

If you speak Batwing-ese, Aegis is generally akin to VSELP while ProVoice is IMBE based.

And even provoice won't help you to listen to the SLERS system. It's much better protected than that. How can anybody not know by this time that the SLERS system uses ESK and encryption? It's been common knowledge for better than a decade.

Well I was running Unitrunker and that is what came up on that talkgroup but it was analog

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i'm curious about these posts about "having radios on the system" here in brevard. Am I to infer that these radios are not legitimately on the system as authorized users?

I’m not one to judge, I’m just making a point

I also concur with Elroy on AEGIS. That is like using analog Speech inversion compared to AES-256. I’m not aware of a single system still using AEGIS.... at least not in Florida

Trunker ain’t perfect. LOL

Doug

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Lots of people (relatively speaking) use Harris/Macom/GE/whatever radios to listen to the Brevard system. It's not even a big deal as long as nobody's got it set up to transmit, and the nice thing about EDACS is that it's very simple to set up the radio like that, for true receive only operation. I do it and I'm open about it. Local LEOs have seen my radios and frankly don't care. As long as I'm not causing interference or chasing crime scenes it's good to go.

That's something some people don't get: When you can hear what's going on via radio, that's MORE of a reason to STAY AWAY from where the action is. If you're a crime scene chaser, you'll get zero sympathy from me if you end up face down on the ground and in handcuffs. In fact I'd probably be rooting for the cops. If you see flashing blue and red lights, stay away and listen from a safe distance. If you're close enough to eyeball the action, you're close enough to be a distraction to some very busy public safety officials who don't need your intrusion.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
i'm curious about these posts about "having radios on the system" here in brevard. Am I to infer that these radios are not legitimately on the system as authorized users?

I’m not one to judge, I’m just making a point

I also concur with Elroy on AEGIS. That is like using analog Speech inversion compared to AES-256. I’m not aware of a single system still using AEGIS.... at least not in Florida

Trunked ain’t perfect. LOL

It’s programmed a certain way so it will not affiliate with the system..move along.

Doug

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Lots of people (relatively speaking) use Harris/Macom/GE/whatever radios to listen to the Brevard system. It's not even a big deal as long as nobody's got it set up to transmit, and the nice thing about EDACS is that it's very simple to set up the radio like that, for true receive only operation. I do it and I'm open about it. Local LEOs have seen my radios and frankly don't care. As long as I'm not causing interference or chasing crime scenes it's good to go.

That's something some people don't get: When you can hear what's going on via radio, that's MORE of a reason to STAY AWAY from where the action is. If you're a crime scene chaser, you'll get zero sympathy from me if you end up face down on the ground and in handcuffs. In fact I'd probably be rooting for the cops. If you see flashing blue and red lights, stay away and listen from a safe distance. If you're close enough to eyeball the action, you're close enough to be a distraction to some very busy public safety officials who don't need your intrusion.

I second that.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
coming from the era of the later 1990s and early 2000's regarding trunked radios programmed onto LE systems... (hint: transmit capability is semantics in my mind....)

let's just settle with "I have a very different opinion on this topic". It's not up for discussion or debate w/ me.

Elroy knows my background and probably understands my viewpoint better than pretty much everyone on this board with about 3-4 exceptions.....

doug

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I’m pretty well versed on that as well.

TDR-94

Trunker ain’t perfect. LOL

Doug

Well,there still is no way for a scanner or an SDR to monitor AEGIS. Almost as good as using AES,except the audio quality is not as good.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Well,there still is no way for a scanner or an SDR to monitor AEGIS. Almost as good as using AES,except the audio quality is not as good.

Unitrunker it said AEGIS 1 but the signal was analog. Sounded like BCFR on it

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Despite what I've said about the matter and my own usage of Harris radios as glorified scanners, I do have to say that while it's easier to do it safely than with a Moto radio, I still don't condone the practice, and most especially not for those who are...let me put it kind of delicately...not highly experienced professionals in the radio business. I'm not going to be inclined to support a noob in his quest to buy an XG75 and have a radio just like the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.