• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL2500 tight volume knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to loosen up the volume knob on a fairly new XTL2500? The knobs are pretty tight, require a lot of force to turn.

Paul

kjl13

QRT
Is there a way to loosen up the volume knob on a fairly new XTL2500? The knobs are pretty tight, require a lot of force to turn.

Paul

Have you tried taking it off and cleaning the part where it meets the case. Somethings they can get stuck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've been afraid to use pliers on it, due to the shape and fear of clamping too hard and breaking the plastic knob. Is that the official method of removal, just clamp and pull? It's a new knob, so it shouldn't be age brittled.

Paul

kjl13

QRT
I've been afraid to use pliers on it, due to the shape and fear of clamping too hard and breaking the plastic knob. Is that the official method of removal, just clamp and pull? It's a new knob, so it shouldn't be age brittled.

Paul

Look it up, google/YouTube will be your friend. I have never removed knobs in this specific model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Be careful taking the volume knob off as there are two clear nylon washers and one will go flying and be lost forever. If someone replaced the knobs without the two washers, then turning the knob can take some force, especially if the knob is pressed on too tightly.

One washer usually remains stuck to the escutcheon seal. It will appear shiny when looking in the top of the radio around the volume pot. The other one glides on top of it. If the second one is lost, then just don't push the knob down too far when you put the knob back on.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Pull of the knob carefully, put 1 tiny drop of WD40 on the washers. Put knob back on and work in the WD40.
I have unfortunately had to do this to 100s and 100s of XTS radios
If you cant get the knob off you can also put a few drops on the sides and let it work in, A little more work but it gets the job done also

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
WA0, I will hunt down that tool...will add it to my Moto tool collection which includes an XTS external antenna RSM wrench, and XPR head removal thingy. :)

Would I want to use silicone lubricant rather than WD40 on plastic parts? And this would be an XTL not XTS.

paul

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Plus, the only thing that holds the top escutcheon on is a double-sided adhesive pad and once that WD-40 works its way around those Nylon washers, it will work its way through that adhesive and the top will become loose.

jim202

WD40 is a solvent and not a real lubricant. It will evaporate after it had done it's thing. Be careful just where you use it.

It does work good to help remove bumper stickers.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The tool that I have here is part number: 6685666D01. It has a knob remover on one side and the chassis tool on the other. It's made of stainless steel and was about $8 from Motorola.

Status
Not open for further replies.