• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Just a Thought - SDS200 - No - Unication Yes !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9pwb

I read somewhere that the G2 and/or G3 could not get FCC approval. My G4 does the job for me. I listen to 99.9% P25 700/800. DMR would be nice but it is only used for businesses here. I may buy a G5, and an amplifier and use that and my G4 for my feed. The one thing holding me back is the lack of a 3 second delay. My local LSM system is hard to receive correctly and I am not going to pay $750 for a new Uniden.

Just a personal thought, you should not use any delay on a trunking system, In a true trunking system the control channel tells the receiver what voice channel the transmission is on, since a response can easily be on a different voice channel than the first one, any delay will cause you to miss part of the conversation. I found this out the hard way by changing these setting and found it greatly improved P25 trunking receive.

Mark-N9PSB

N6ML

Just a personal thought, you should not use any delay on a trunking system, In a true trunking system the control channel tells the receiver what voice channel the transmission is on, since a response can easily be on a different voice channel than the first one, any delay will cause you to miss part of the conversation. I found this out the hard way by changing these setting and found it greatly improved P25 trunking receive.

Depends what you mean by "delay". P25 has the ability to convey control data on a voice channel, so even if the receiver "hangs" on a voice channel for a bit, it can become aware of a talkgroup being switched to a different channel (frequency) by monitoring that control data. That's a separate issue from "holding" on a talkgroup, though - i.e. not immediately jumping to a different talkgroup within the scanlist that happens to be active - the Unication TG Scan doesn't implement any sort of hold, so TG Scan will jump around between conversations rather erratically.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Not true. G2 / G3 was waiting for the new firmware V1.2. We will be selling the G2 in UHF or VHF and the G3 UHF/VHF dual band soon.

Which band will be primary on the external antenna on the G3 ? I’m assuming the other band will use the internal loop ?

I currently have a UHF-H 7/800 G5 and I can monitor 7/800 P25 trunked systems two counties away mobile with it sitting my my cup holder with a stock antenna. UHF P25 is great in-county but in-range does decrease significantly more with distance due to the internal loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Depends what you mean by "delay". P25 has the ability to convey control data on a voice channel, so even if the receiver "hangs" on a voice channel for a bit, it can become aware of a talkgroup being switched to a different channel (frequency) by monitoring that control data. That's a separate issue from "holding" on a talkgroup, though - i.e. not immediately jumping to a different talkgroup within the scanlist that happens to be active - the Unication TG Scan doesn't implement any sort of hold, so TG Scan will jump around between conversations rather erratically.

Correct. Scanners that have channel delay don't sit on the VC during the delay period. They return to the CCh but exclusively watch for channel updates/grants on the current channel during the delay period.

Astrak

I read somewhere that the G2 and/or G3 could not get FCC approval. My G4 does the job for me. I listen to 99.9% P25 700/800. DMR would be nice but it is only used for businesses here. I may buy a G5, and an amplifier and use that and my G4 for my feed. The one thing holding me back is the lack of a 3 second delay. My local LSM system is hard to receive correctly and I am not going to pay $750 for a new Uniden.
I have a 5 second delay on talkgroups using monitor mode and call alert, then in call alert setting select all and setting all timeouts to 5.

CanesFan95

Mark-N9PSB

I thought a delay means the receiver momentarily waits for a reply on a TG that just had a transmission. The receiver jumps immediately back to the control channel when the first transmission/hang time ends and waits to see if there's another transmission on the same TGID for a few seconds before moving on to unmuting for another active talk group. A delay does not mean the receiver stays on the voice channel momentarily for a few seconds after a transmission/hang time ends.

Astrak

I thought a delay means the receiver momentarily waits for a reply on a TG that just had a transmission. The receiver jumps immediately back to the control channel when the first transmission/hang time ends and waits to see if there's another transmission on the same TGID for a few seconds before moving on to unmuting for another active talk group. A delay does not mean the receiver stays on the voice channel momentarily for a few seconds after a transmission/hang time ends.
That's what happens, a scanner doesn't sit on the voice channel it goes back to the control channel and waits for activity on the talkgroup during the delay period.

Status
Not open for further replies.