Introducing the SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeCeee

I just got off the horn with Jotto. If you are looking for a faceplate for their consoles that accepts this radio they don't have one. Earlier, someone had posted a Jotto part number that was not correct. I advised they probably will bet getting some requests so they might want to build one. I note that Uniden lists it as a DIN-E 1.5 chassis, that said the way Jotto designs their faceplates they are not really a DIN mount. Once someone get's one if they could supply the actual dimensions I will get that exact info to Jotto.

Last edited:

Voyager

I would like to know some of the specs of the SDS200

*Complete frequency coverage list
*Complete list of protocols it can demodulate
*Power consumption no audio/with audio
*Minimum/maximum voltage capabilities
*Input impedance (assume 50 ohms)
*PEF (Protocol Expiration Factor)

It's SDR-based, so 'complete' coverage will be based on the tuner chip used.

Protocols it can demodulate? Any with the possible exception of ATSC TV. (tuner might not go wide enough) If you mean muilt-in, it's going to still be PV, DMR, NXDN, P25 with others possible. (depends on demand and licensing)

Power consumption: Who really cares? It's a base/mobile, not a portable. Power should not be an issue. Base/mobiles are not designed with power in mind.

Voltage? Likely the typical 12-14V area.

Impedance? It's a 50 Ohm BNC connector.

What is PFE? Even Google has no results with that term. AFAIK, if you enable a protocol, it's enabled for the life of the unit.

Voyager

I just got off the horn with Jotto. If you are looking for a faceplate for their consoles that accepts this radio they don't have one. Earlier, someone had posted a Jotto part number that was not correct. I advised they probably will bet getting some requests so they might want to build one. I note that Uniden lists it as a DIN-E 1.5 chassis, that said the way Jotto designs their faceplates they are not really a DIN mount. Once someone get's one if they could supply the actual dimensions I will get that exact info to Jotto.

That was posted already, and it's 1.5 DIN. That's an industry standard designation.

But... (saving you the time to look at the thread): 7" x 3" (Standard DIN is 7" x 2" / Double DIN is 7" x 4")

The mounting holes are centered (1.5" from top/bottom) and are 2.5" back from the front.
The front-top 3/8" is beveled, so they would likely want to put the holes 2.0125" back. (or maybe just 2")

That should give them all they need to know.

I haven't checked, but it should be close to the size of a Whelen Cencom control panel (only deeper).

EDIT: CenCom is 6.875" W x 3.5" H, so the 200 is 1/8" more wide and 1/2" less tall, but darn close. The overall plate would take the same rack space.

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin

So your saying this won’t work?
GE & BearCat - Multi-Manufacturer 3" Faceplate
Item #: 425-6129

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireplug

Premium Subscriber
I had good luck with them when I ordered the SDS100.

Me too. This is a company run by a group of young people and my experience has been they are doing a good job. No complaints from me. I’ve bought scanners over the years from many of the retailers common to the hobby. I’ve purchased upgrades and installed myself. Other times I’ve had the retailer do it. Ultimately it was my decision and my money and I’ve never had the need to stomp down on someone else or their business. I’ve never felt scammed by any of these retailers.

If you like the 200, buy it. If not, don’t. It’s not really that hard. Another radio better for you? Go for it and best wishes. Again, not really hard. For so many of us here, this is a hobby- just a hobby. Maybe we can enjoy it as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Voyager

So your saying this won’t work?
GE & BearCat - Multi-Manufacturer 3" Faceplate
Item #: 425-6129

That depends on how you define "work".

You would have to cut the sides off (or more accurately the top and bottom space) and mount each side angle individually, as the 200 is 3" tall and here are the specs of the 6129:

Inside Opening: 2.538" H (With an overall panel height of 3" - the height of the 200)

The better faceplate would be 3.5" tall with a 3" opening.

But, cutting the sides off the 6129 would "work" in that it would let you mount it. It will not work as it comes from the factory, as the opening is too short.

It works with the 780 since the 780 is 2.75" tall. If this were horseshoes you would be right in the running.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
It’s highly recommended you purchase you’re keys/upgrades elsewhere

i would imagine UNIDEN web site is cheapest. do it yourself. i just did for my 436 and one was $60, i think the DMR. the other was $50, the NXDN. not sure if that is same for the 100 and 200, anyone know?

trp2525

i would imagine UNIDEN web site is cheapest...

See my post #163 in this thread (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/introducing-the-sds200.382091/post-3058180) where I compared the prices of purchasing the 3 available upgrades directly from Uniden vs. buying them from the 3 scanner dealers who are currently offering to install them in your new radio for an additional service charge ranging from $25 to $40 extra per upgrade depending on the dealer.

The only update/correction to the information contained in my previous post #163 is that Uniden has lowered the price of the NXDN upgrade to $50 (previously was $60) which I confirmed by telephone contact with Uniden on Monday, 01-21-2019. FYI the current total price for the 3 upgrades directly from Uniden is $160 ($50 each for ProVoice and NXDN and $60 for DMR) while the same 3 upgrades from the highest-priced dealer would cost you $270 ($90 each for ProVoice, NXDN and DMR).

Status
Not open for further replies.