what antenna connection is this called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarHoles

I have a UBC57XLT uniden bearcat scanner, im wanting to get a aftermarket aerial . Can anyone tell me what the connection type is?
Cheers!20190129_185833.jpg

Station51

It appears to be very similar to a Motorola antenna like that used on a GP300
The link that needairtime posted is a much better pic.
its hard to tell for sure, and the Motorola antennas are band specific.

Attachments

• exbmx__72346.1517875535.jpg
    exbmx__72346.1517875535.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 7

jim202

I believe what your looking at is called a reverse SMA connector. Yes there are adapters available. Just make sure you get the reverse type. This is that it is a female connector that accepts the pin sticking up in the radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There is a coax adapter made for this. I have one that I use on my Motorola GP68.

Station51

There appears to be a center conductor but then the og antenna looks to be solid like a Motorola ?

Attachments

• IMG_5647m_uniden-ubc57xlt-300x225.jpg
    IMG_5647m_uniden-ubc57xlt-300x225.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

needairtime

Since it's receive only, I would imagine that impedance matching isn't as critical. As it's a solid connector, there's no shield or center conductor, it's one big chunk - so it's not regular SMA or reverse SMA at all. I don't know if SMA will thread onto it it, but using regular SMA stuff would not use the center conductor and solely use the outside conductor as the antenna if it even has one, hence you'll need to carefully select what you want to connect to it.

That webpage suggests a BNC mod. I'd be tempted to do it.

I sort of have the same issue with getting an antenna for a Uniden CB HT, it too does not have a center conductor for its antenna and I have to choose accordingly. It happens to be 5/16" thick instead, and I think NF threads... Maybe I should BNC mod this CB...

bharvey2

I agree with it being a Motorola MX connector. There is no center connector as there is with an SMA connector. Adapters are available to convert it to BNC for sure. I've used them on some old Maxon and GE handheld radios I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.