Stark County Ohio

DakotaMN

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

New guy here on the forum located in Stark County and purchased the Uniden BCD436HP since Stark County went to the MARCS. I typically listen to Canton Fire frequencies and noticed a problem with a decent amount of their transmissions being cut off in the beginning or just no transmissions at all.
Priority, weather, and close call are all turned off and I have Canton FD 1 TGID 45041 on hold while listening. I have the stock Uniden antenna attached still.
Is there a way to overcome this with either a new antenna or is this an entire scanner issue?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

New guy here on the forum located in Stark County and purchased the Uniden BCD436HP since Stark County went to the MARCS. I typically listen to Canton Fire frequencies and noticed a problem with a decent amount of their transmissions being cut off in the beginning or just no transmissions at all.
Priority, weather, and close call are all turned off and I have Canton FD 1 TGID 45041 on hold while listening. I have the stock Uniden antenna attached still.
Is there a way to overcome this with either a new antenna or is this an entire scanner issue?
Welcome to the forum.

The problem you have is the fact that Stark County is a Simulcast system. This is very common that this does happen. You may try and move the scanner to a different location that may or may not fix the problem. The newer SDS100 helped me with simulcast issues.

Last edited:

DakotaMN

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum.

The problem you have is the fact that Stark County is a Simulcast system. This is very common that this does happen. You may try and move the scanner to a different location that may or may not fix the problem. The newer SDS100 helped me with simulcast issues.

I was curious to whether Stark County being a Simulcast system was effecting it. I live within the city limits and have noticed though that the closer Engine/Truck Companies & Medics near me barely have any transmission issues with the 436. I was contemplating getting a RS800 Antenna to see if that would help. I tweak some settings as mentioned in the wiki page for the distortion and see if that helps.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I was curious to whether Stark County being a Simulcast system was effecting it. I live within the city limits and have noticed though that the closer Engine/Truck Companies & Medics near me barely have any transmission issues with the 436. I was contemplating getting a RS800 Antenna to see if that would help. I tweak some settings as mentioned in the wiki page for the distortion and see if that helps.
It could, but the only thing as of now that helps is the SDS100 and with the release of the SDS200 to come soon. One day Whistler will release TRX-100 and 200 that claims to help with simulcast issues also.

xusmarine1979

I agree. Even though from home in Louisville, my GRE performs pretty well but once mobile it becomes almost useless on Stark's new system. But my SDS100 on the other hand, performs nicely. Even in the heavy RF areas.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have the same results. My GRE PSR 600 at home with only the stock antenna completely collapsed and folded down only appears to receive the closest tower so it performs fairly well. Just got my SDS100 and love it. It performs well anywhere I have taken it.

astronuts

My Whistler WS1080 receives the new Stark Simulcast MARCS system great! Actually, I have noticed an uptick in distortion on the old system now. I have been mobile around the county with similar results, solid audio.

That being said: about 2200 radios of 3000 have been flashed for the new system. They are working on the departments dispatched by Red Center now so Massillon PD, Jackson PD should be making the switch over this weekend, all non-encrypted. However, Perry PD has elected to go full encryption and will be one of the last to make the switch.

Nasby

My Whistler WS1080 receives the new Stark Simulcast MARCS system great! Actually, I have noticed an uptick in distortion on the old system now. I have been mobile around the county with similar results, solid audio.

That being said: about 2200 radios of 3000 have been flashed for the new system. They are working on the departments dispatched by Red Center now so Massillon PD, Jackson PD should be making the switch over this weekend, all non-encrypted. However, Perry PD has elected to go full encryption and will be one of the last to make the switch.

Apprecaite the update!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
45082 is Greentown FD 1. All of their units are prefixed with "54" so I'm guessing they are station 54 ?

Anybody know who station / department 64 is in Stark Co? I don't know that they call them station numbers, but I imagine that the fire/ems agencies in stark try to have different department numbers.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
45082 is Greentown FD 1. All of their units are prefixed with "54" so I'm guessing they are station 54 ?

'54' is carry over from Summit County. Uniontown (45xx) and Greentown (54xx) chose to use the same numbering system as summit county to make mutual aid easier. At one point, I seem to recall one of the two was actually part of the Summit 800 (non-P25) system. That was over a decade ago.

I don't know who 64 would be.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
64xx units are Beach City PD

Heard testing on various talkgroups:
RID: 7601628 - Beach City PD - "BC 1"
RID: 7601501 - Wilmot Fire
RID: 7601726 - Beach City Fire

ESFFSW911

Premium Subscriber
Sta 64 is Wilmot FD, Beach City FD is Sta 13 and Brewster FD is Sta 15. Those 3 depts trucks #s start with sta # such as Engine 151 or Tanker 164.
Sorry, I do not know how the PD in that area number their units.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Lots of Stark radio traffic on MARCS these days. Lots of unknown talkgroups active -- and of course they aren't in the database because they are unknown.

Is there anyone in Stark co listening to the MARCS Stark Co Simulcast? And if so, can you help identify some talkgroups?