SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I’m literally about to press buy on a 100, but I don’t want to deal with this battery door mess. Simply, how is this avoided besides not buying it at all?

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I’m literally about to press buy on a 100, but I don’t want to deal with this battery door mess. Simply, how is this avoided besides not buying it at all?
I just plug the radio in before I go to bed, never have to open the door.
I guess if you plan on using multiple batteries, different story. I also think, now that we are aware of the possibility of breaking the door we are more careful. Like, squeeze the door slightly when unlatching.
I would not let this sway me not to buy the radio.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And, to clarify, the mechanical tension on the larger battery is no different than the small (original) battery. The geometry of the latch is the same in both cases. I've tried hard on multiple units to intentionally break the latch by pressing down on it with no luck. There might just be some units out there with some variance in the plastic that makes them more susceptible to breaking, but we've not actually been able to confirm that on any unit we've checked (many).

Of the thousands of units we've sold, looks like fewer than a dozen reports of this actually happening, with many more paranoid that it might happen to them, too.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
And, to clarify, the mechanical tension on the larger battery is no different than the small (original) battery. The geometry of the latch is the same in both cases. I've tried hard on multiple units to intentionally break the latch by pressing down on it with no luck. There might just be some units out there with some variance in the plastic that makes them more susceptible to breaking, but we've not actually been able to confirm that on any unit we've checked (many).

Of the thousands of units we've sold, looks like fewer than a dozen reports of this actually happening, with many more paranoid that it might happen to them, too.
This is good to know, not so worried anymore.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
There might just be some units out there with some variance in the plastic that makes them more susceptible to breaking, but we've not actually been able to confirm that on any unit we've checked (many).
The plastic on my broken clip did not feel "right." Maybe a batch of bad plastic, perhaps.

Yes, I am paranoid. After being separated from my SDS for a month, I'm not in a big hurry to remove the battery. After your statement I tried to unlatch the battery and it is scary tight. I think I'll just stay with the big battery and not tempt fate.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I do not consider it a big deal. Considering I have had zero complaints about the SDS100's performance and still consider it a very fine radio, possibly the best handheld scanner I have ever owned. Small price to pay for perfection, in my case.

JD
kf4anc

Ozscan652

Uniden USDS100 (same as the SDS100) my clip broke today - no excess force applied - it just decided to break.. I always give the battery cover a gentle push to seat it before i close the latch and today - it just gave up and broke.. this is a design fault.

Attachments

• battery clip.jpg
    battery clip.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 80

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think they would have been better off installing small retainer clips on the inside rails that lock in the battery when its slid in, then you have release levers that you depress to loosen the battery and slide it out. A clip on the outside is subjected to too much physical stress to be reliable.

AvidHiker

UPman has already commented in this thread. Based on his testing (and service reports), most units are unaffected, so this is not a design flaw, it's simply a manufacturing defect affecting a small percentage of units. If this basic design was somehow inherently flawed, it wouldn't work so well for Icom (I have a 20 year old Icom scanner that's taken a real beating and the latch still works flawlessly).

WeBeCinYa

So is Uniden providing replacements to consumers that have the defect? Can a consumer buy one yet for replacement?

I mean these are questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
So is Uniden providing replacements to consumers that have the defect? Can a consumer buy one yet for replacement?

I mean these are questions.

the broken clips are, and have always been, covered under the repair warranty.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
So if we are willing to replace the battery clip ourselves we will void the warranty, but to stop the hum on the SDS200 they are going to show us how to take it apart and do a home repair. Is there a sealed case inside the outer case or will the hum fix void the waranty? Just wondering!

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Thanks for answering the first question. After warranty is up, can a consumer purchase the small door or battery?

We do not sell the small door or battery.

The battery latch can be purchased here:
Battery Latch - Uniden
We are currently out of stock, but you may be able to get them from other sources.

WeBeCinYa

We do not sell the small door or battery.

The battery latch can be purchased here:
Battery Latch - Uniden
We are currently out of stock, but you may be able to get them from other sources.

Not selling the small door or battery is a poor decision. I for one use the small battery and door exclusively. This was part of the original design that likely many like myself still use. If I cannot feel confident that I can purchase this door or battery years down the road if something should go bad, that is nuts.

I understand the battery fiasco that happened, but you should offer both for replacements, period. Your design, your product, you should have to provide replacements. If this is a cost savings thing not to offer small door/battery then it has become evident that cost savings is driving the P&L on the Uniden product team, which is clearly evident in the SDS200 rollout.

Last edited:

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I understand the battery fiasco that happened, but you should offer both for replacements, period. Your design, your product, you should have to provide replacements. If this is a cost savings thing not to offer small door/battery then it has become evident that cost savings is driving the P&L on the Uniden product team, which is clearly evident in the SDS200 rollout.
It is in no way feasible to continue manufacturing parts that did not meet the design specifications and has nothing to do with cost savings. The small battery did not meet what we wanted out of the radio or what we said it was capable of and the manufacturing process was changed to reflect this. it does not make sense to keep an assembly line open for a product that does not meet specifications.

WeBeCinYa

I guess we will just disagree. Forcing a customer to have a large battery should something happen to their small battery or small door is a joke.

This issue will surface again, once warranties are up and things break. Get in front of it now while you can.

With that said, I am still interested in buying another small battery/door as a backup if anyone wants to sell their's.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Only a relative few ever got the small battery/door. Not sure what issue there is to get in front of. The spec'd battery is the big one which goes with the big door. Neither the small battery nor door is available for production.

Status
Not open for further replies.