SDS200 initial reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I've been giving my SDS 200 a good test run this afternoon and this evening (minus MotoTRBO/DMR/NXDN) and have had some very positive results. It took the place of my 536hp in my set up, but the 536 has been assigned other duties..lol. Using an outdoor antenna and external speaker as I did with my 536.

P25 simulcast has been on par with the SDS 100 and have no complaints. You will get the occasional garble on both units but you know you're hearing the same thing when the users complain "you went digital".

I have a lot of analog to compare locally..UHF/UHF-T/VHF/ VHF Railroad/AM Air Band was compared to my 536 this afternoon and tonight. Some of the "troublesome" reception issues were resolved by utilizing the filters and reception on a few of these frequencies has improved drastically with the SDS 200. That was an unexpected plus! I've set everything on Off/Global and when something didn't sound good, I used the filter settings.

So far...very happy here in Chicago!
I am trying to remember if you also had an SDS100. I was wondering how either does for the air band? I have heard negative things about their (100&200) ability to pick up aviation adequately as compapared to previous Uniden models. I still use my 396T for ORD and MDW and ZAU and it works really well. Care to comment on the aviation?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to remember if you also had an SDS100. I was wondering how either does for the air band? I have heard negative things about their (100&200) ability to pick up aviation adequately as compapared to previous Uniden models. I still use my 396T for ORD and MDW and ZAU and it works really well. Care to comment on the aviation?

I've had good reception on the Aviation band. even better when I set the filters to Normal. I'm just west of Midway so that's not an issue, but also hearing O'Hare Ground and a couple of the Towers I use an outdoor antenna which helps.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Hi is it just me the BNC to SMA adapter on my SDS100 won't let me lock my BNC antenna?
Now I have the SDS200 and the same problem the included BNC antenna won't lock on to the antenna connector on the back, it will only twist half way and I don't want to force it and break it. I have never had this problem with any other Uniden scanner I own.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So far with maybe 30 minutes with the SDS 200:

I like the audio much better than the SDS 100 or the 536HP

Did have difficulty finding the MENU button.

Still wish the LAN was on the rear.

Overall much better than the 536HP series

eaf1956

Feed Provider

And now I got the upgrades I wanted. Wonder why Uniden changed the programming cable yet again. (Not the same as the SDS 100)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gootch

Audio seems better. A local PD dispatcher I hear often sounds different and better with the SDF200. Wish the LAN port was in the rear not a deal breaker, but for me very difficult to unplug when locked into place. Had to use a small screwdriver to depress the connection latch to unplug. Not even close to be able to get my finger between the squelch/menu knob to depress the latch an unplug.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Audio seems better. A local PD dispatcher I hear often sounds different and better with the SDF200. Wish the LAN port was in the rear not a deal breaker, but for me very difficult to unplug when locked into place. Had to use a small screwdriver to depress the connection latch to unplug. Not even close to be able to get my finger between the squelch/menu knob to depress the latch an unplug.

Mine will always be connected but I still wish it was in the rear of the scanner.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Wooop-Woop add me to the list of happy Daddys - brand new baby Uniden SDS200 in brown box sitting in front porch rocker when I got home from running an errand. Unboxed powered up, and updated and antenna connected and performing like a champ on the Ohio MARCS system. On discone I am hearing Greene, Montgomery, Clark, Miami counties and even vhf in Darke county 35-40 miles away. I like the size, nice and beefy, and audio is great (!) The display rocks! Can't say enough good about this scanner. Exceeds my expectations and then some. Wow. Good week for the radio hobby!

Thanks, Uniden, and thanks, Paul! Good job!

JD
kf4anc

PS- vhf/uhf is just as good as 536 & TRX-1 out of the box w/Remtronix duck. I love it!

palmerjrusa

Hi is it just me the BNC to SMA adapter on my SDS100 won't let me lock my BNC antenna?
Now I have the SDS200 and the same problem the included BNC antenna won't lock on to the antenna connector on the back, it will only twist half way and I don't want to force it and break it. I have never had this problem with any other Uniden scanner I own.

Same for me with my SDS100 and the supplied BNC to SMA adaptor.
I have encountered this problem before though.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have had similar antenna connection problems like this in the past, and my personal remedy has been a dab of Break-Free silicon lubricant ONLY on the metal inner sleeve of the BNC shroud - NOT on the center conductor. I dab it on with a lens cleaner wipe and just touch it on there and it's enough. Slips on like a silk shirt. I love that stuff and keep a bottle around for cleaning guns and fishing reels and machine head gears on my guitars :)

JD
kf4anc

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
And now I got the upgrades I wanted. Wonder why Uniden changed the programming cable yet again. (Not the same as the SDS 100)

Hi what changes did they make to cable? Thanks

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hi what changes did they make to cable? Thanks
It went from what I call Motorola to mini USB like older Samsung phones used. Course now my Note 9 doesn't use that connector any longer.

Stecomp

Got everything thing set up fine and seems to be just as solid decoding as the SDS100. I am getting a really low hum from the moment I turned the radio on prior to programming and am continuing to hear it. When I went to mass storage mode for Sentinel the hum disappeared and then returned after disconnecting from PC. Thought it might be a 60hz problem with other radios and antenna wires in my radio rack, but I tried it away from everything and still getting it. When I get real close it sounds like some low volume static almost in the radio. Volume or system selected does not change it. Anybody else hearing anything similar? Almost like my 25 year old Pro 2006 when I get up close to it!

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber

Is there any documentation on the Streaming or Control via LAN??

Thx
John

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Is there any documentation on the Streaming or Control via LAN??

Thx
John
Documents?? Who reads that. But, I don't think Sentinel has been updated for control or programming over LAN yet. Proscan setup is simple kinda like the 536. Only LAN not WIFI

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
Documents?? Who reads that. But, I don't think Sentinel has been updated for control or programming over LAN yet. Proscan setup is simple kinda like the 536. Only LAN not WIFI

I don't use Proscan, but do they have a set-up in their software to stream? I'm interested in streaming and controlling commands.

Thanks again.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.