• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best Dual Band Digital Motorola Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJMoo3652

Hi everyone, first post here

I am looking for a digital radio that will allow me to scan the Michigan P25 system (800mhz) along with being able to transmit on analog UHF. The reason I need the analog transmission frequencies is because I am a Sheriff Explorer with my local department and when we go out to large details, we’re required to have radios on us. Our department issues us Motorola HT750’s in very very rough shape so I bought myself an MT2000 with the keypad which has worked great so far. So my question is, is there a Motorola radio that will allow me to monitor both the P25 and transmit on UHF?

Thanks for the help!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, one of the APX versions, but they are not cheap. Software is expensive. Unless you have a few thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket, it is MUCH cheaper to get a P25 capable scanner.

Let me add something since you appear to be new to this:

1. I'm not the radio police, but I do administer several public safety radio systems for a living. This is offered as friendly free advice.
2. You, as an employee or volunteer of the agency, do not have an FCC license for the frequencies you want to transmit on. Only the agency does. To prevent issues, make sure you get written permission from your chief before putting a radio on their system. This should not be hard, and it can prevent a lot of issues down the road. The FCC rules are very clear on this. Explorers, volunteers, etc. are not exempt from the FCC rules. If you are training to be an officer, you really do need to make sure you abide by all the rules. It can make a difference.
3. Ideally, work with whoever does the radio programming for the agency. With the Cheif's OK, they'll likely not only be willing to assist you, but will more than likely give you some training along the way. Doing this can help make sure that everything gets programmed correctly and you don't accidentally do something that causes interference to other users. You may also need to have an MDC ID programmed into your radio so your transmissions are properly identified to dispatch. The shop will be able to make sure you get an ID that's properly assigned to you. Showing up on a system with a strange ID can result in your radio getting remotely stunned/killed by the dispatchers.
4. Consider what I said above about scanners. A P25 capable radio that does 700/800MHz and will transmit on UHF is going to be very expensive, even on the used market. You are likely looking at something in the $2,000.00 range, or higher. Add in the cost of legal Motorola software (a couple of hundred bucks), plus all the time that goes into learning to use the software, and you'd be much farther ahead with a good P25 scanner.

Again, offered as friendly free advice. Please take it as intended.

Good luck on your decision. Radio can be an expensive hobby.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
MOTOROLA APX APX8000 XE P25 TRUNKING TDMA DIGITAL RADIO FPP VHF 7-800 UHF TAGS | eBay

APX7000 MOTOROLA UHF/700/800 “IN GREAT CONDITION WAS MY PERSONAL RADIO UNTIL I G | eBay

Motorola APX 7000 UHF 7/800 Loaded Flash | eBay

MOTOROLA APX7000 3.5 UHF R1 700/800 MHZ RADIO P25 DIGITAL TDMA FPP AES HAM GPS | eBay

You also need to be very cautious about buying used radios. Some of these can be hack-jobs that have been pieced together with parts, "bit-banged" etc. That can cause headaches for those unfamiliar with them.
You also need to familiarize yourself with the flash-codes that assign features. Not all radios have the same feature set.

Then there is the software. The higher tier Motorola software can be a real bear to learn. Unless you've done this before or have someone to assist you, it's a real good idea to get some help, or get a shop to program it for you.

NJMoo3652

Just to clear up everything surrounding the FCC licensing issue, we transmit on talkabouts and not through any kind of dispatch. We were also given consent by the Deputies in charge (advisors) to bring in our own radios for training and working purposes. None of the public safety channels except the designated explorers frequencies are able to transmit. Just wanted to clear that up.

As for the radio itself, I was looking at APX7000’s and I think I’ll stick with my MT2000.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You have the UHF already. Spend the $600-ish and get a Unication G4 for the 800 side monitoring. No expensive software, system keys to worry about, etc.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Just to clear up everything surrounding the FCC licensing issue, we transmit on talkabouts and not through any kind of dispatch.

That in mind, assuming those are FRS/GMRS talkabout radios, any of these Motorola radios (including your MT2000) are not technically type accepted for use on those frequencies, and are likely running illegal power levels as well. Is anybody really going to know or care? Probably not. But as a police department, I would expect you guys to follow the law.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That in mind, assuming those are FRS/GMRS talkabout radios, any of these Motorola radios (including your MT2000) are not technically type accepted for use on those frequencies, and are likely running illegal power levels as well.

Perhaps the OP meant "talk around"

NJMoo3652

Our department radio technician issues us Motorola HT750’s for use on UHF frequencies that are talkaround (forgive my mistake) channels. We’ve been cleared by the department to use these and licensing isn’t really a concern for us in this context.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Our department radio technician issues us Motorola HT750’s for use on UHF frequencies that are talkaround (forgive my mistake) channels. We’ve been cleared by the department to use these and licensing isn’t really a concern for us in this context.

If they issue you the radios, then it's not a problem.
If you purchase your own UHF radio and put it on their frequencies, then you do need something from the licensee that gives you that OK if you want to stay on the correct side of the FCC. Running afoul of the rules is not a good way to start off a career.

I'll second the Unication, much easier/cheaper way to do it. Mighty small, and easy to fit in with your other gear you no doubt carry on duty.

Here's the specific FCC rule we are referring to:

§90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(a) Each transmitter shall be so installed and protected that it is not accessible to or capable of operation by persons other than those duly authorized by and under the control of the licensee. Provisions of this part authorizing certain unlicensed persons to operate stations, or authorizing unattended operation of stations in certain circumstances, shall not be construed to change or diminish in any respect the responsibility of station licensees to maintain control over the stations licensed to them (including all transmitter units thereof), or for the proper functioning and operation of those stations and transmitter units in accordance with the terms of the licenses of those stations.

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

K2NEC

I think that the HT750's would be your best bet. The department is only licensed for x amount of portables to be operating on their system. Since you added your MT2000 to that mix it could become a problem since they didn't account for that portable to be on their system. Now will this likely be an issue? Not really. Just food for thought.

With P25 I would assume it would be trunking which comes with a whole bunch of complications which should be steered clear of like the plague.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Alright, what is the best way to obtain an FCC license?

You likely will not be able to get licensed on their same frequencies. Most part 90 frequencies require coordination from an FCC registered Frequency Coordinator. A frequency coordinator isn't going to assign you the same frequency as the local agencies. Even if you were able to get them to do that, it's going to still require sign off from the agency that's already licensed for those frequencies. A local agency isn't going to sign off on an individual being assigned to the same frequency they are.
In addition to that, you are not going to qualify for those Part 90 frequencies as an individual.

Frequency coordinators do not work for free. It's going to be a few hundred bucks for their time.
FCC license will cost you a few hundred, too.

If you want to use your own radio on your department frequencies, you need to get permission in writing from the licensee.

If you just want some random UHF frequencies to use for your own private use, check into getting a GMRS license, or maybe, licensing one or more of the UHF itinerant frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.