BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Thinking about getting one of these, would you recommend it? One of my biggest questions would be is the display easily readable, especially compared to the 536 models, any other information would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
It's a great scanner, if you have no simulcast issues. I actually like it better than the 536 and I have had both.

Thanks, how would you the display looked, pretty easy to read, easier than 536? Also, no simulcast around me. What software would you recommend

allend

Premium Subscriber
Honestly this is the best radio that Uniden has ever made so far. No hardware issues or nothing. Solid as a rock. 2 thumbs up

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks, how would you the display looked, pretty easy to read, easier than 536? Also, no simulcast around me. What software would you recommend

996p2 and my SDS200
fd974cb9be1bd6091fa377edf98b6a4e.jpg
02aa16ef0dbafc6d63157a19f497d9d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I had 2 of the 536 series but I really hated the white screen. The p2 you can change screen colors albeit not like the SDS series

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Software: Freescan beta or butel Arc 996xt. Personally I use Arc 996xt

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I’d miss from the Home patrol type, is the replay function, its nice to have if you miss something, but its rare. But ive already tried 2 sds200, and both had the same issues, and i still need a desk model, and like the looks of this one, and maybe its on sale right now, and maybe one day I’ll get the 200 when all the bugs get worked out. I may need some programming help, thats for sure, i know you can subscribe to the RR site, and get info from the database? Seems like years ago when i had a RadioShack Pro-651, i used WIN500 and subscribed to RR, and got info from the Database

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The only thing I’d miss from the Home patrol type, is the replay function, its nice to have if you miss something, but its rare. But ive already tried 2 sds200, and both had the same issues, and i still need a desk model, and like the looks of this one, and maybe its on sale right now, and maybe one day I’ll get the 200 when all the bugs get worked out. I may need some programming help, thats for sure, i know you can subscribe to the RR site, and get info from the database? Seems like years ago when i had a RadioShack Pro-651, i used WIN500 and subscribed to RR, and got info from the Database

If you're seriously considering getting the 996P2, I'd recommend that you go with ProScan. For the license fee of $50, you get programming, logging, and remote control via PC. In the ARC line, to get logging and control, you'd have to get the "Pro" version @ $69.95. Plus, ProScan covers multiple models of Uniden scanners, including the x36HP series as well as the newest SDS100/-200. ProScan handles web imports from RadioReference, and you're already a Premium Subscriber.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
If you're seriously considering getting the 996P2, I'd recommend that you go with ProScan. For the license fee of $50, you get programming, logging, and remote control via PC. In the ARC line, to get logging and control, you'd have to get the "Pro" version @ $69.95. Plus, ProScan covers multiple models of Uniden scanners, including the x36HP series as well as the newest SDS100/-200. ProScan handles web imports from RadioReference, and you're already a Premium Subscriber.

I hadn’t noticed that it said Premium subscriber, I hadn’t paid for anything in years..??

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The 536 is a good scanner if you want the replay. I personally never liked the display but I had 2 of them until about a week or so ago. And I forgot about Proscan, I use that daily for my broadcastify feed.

NYRHKY94

I have two 996P2's and love them. It's a great radio and I like the screen much better than my 536. Never could understand why Uniden's product folks gave the OK on that tepid white screen with no ability to change it? Here's a comparison for you from my home shack. I'm partial to the Cyan color. P.S. I agree with the other posters on ProScan. Best all-in-one software on the market hands down.

Attachments

• BCD536HP and BCD996P2 Displays.JPG
    BCD536HP and BCD996P2 Displays.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 69

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
the 386/996 series of radios is the best scanner uniden ever made and the best part of it is that it does not need an SD card to operate.

I highly recommend them over any other scanner and i own 8 of them.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thinking about getting one of these, would you recommend it? One of my biggest questions would be is the display easily readable, especially compared to the 536 models, any other information would be appreciated

I've own a few of each over the years. Apparently like you, I prefer a more easily readable screen than the 536. With the 536 I was almost forced to use control software to display the screen on a large computer monitor where I can read the 996P2 screen easily without using the computer or the need to put glasses on.

Contrary to what many will tell you, the 996P2 handles simulcast systems with ease for myself and many others. It's best to check with users in your area to see how it will perform for you prior to buying. Just post the question in the forum for your state.

The only other consideration is that the 996P2 will require programming, as it does not have the zip-code location/radius/service selection feature of the 536HP.

I've used both Butel's ARC-XT and ProScan software. ProScan wins hands down for features, but Butel's is easier (for me anyway) for programming.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
the 386/996 series of radios is the best scanner uniden ever made and the best part of it is that it does not need an SD card to operate.

I highly recommend them over any other scanner and i own 8 of them.
Wow what's a 386? I know typo right?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have two 996P2's and love them. It's a great radio and I like the screen much better than my 536. Never could understand why Uniden's product folks gave the OK on that tepid white screen with no ability to change it? Here's a comparison for you from my home shack. I'm partial to the Cyan color. P.S. I agree with the other posters on ProScan. Best all-in-one software on the market hands down.

I should have mentioned while the 536HP display is capable of showing more information, how much of it is normally necessary and is the trade off for smaller fonts worth it? I'd opt for the larger fonts.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The only other consideration is that the 996P2 will require programming, as it does not have the zip-code location/radius/service selection feature of the 536HP.

I forgot to mention the 536HP uses a Micro SD card that stores the entire nation wide database, where the 996P2 does not. The only time I'd think that's an issues if you user your scanner mobile and use a GPS to move programming on the fly automatically. If it's stationary there's really no advantage. The Micro SD memory cards seem to be somewhat problematic in any scanner that uses them, Uniden or Whistler, base/mobile or hand-held.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Mine would be staying on my night stand by the bed, and also, I’d opt for the larger fonts too, i need them with my bad eyes, I’m not one of them people that want a lot of info on a scanner screen, all i need is system/county/channel name, thats fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.