sds200 p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazdaspeed1

Feed Provider
In my state I have the state patrol using p25 wiscom and all the local guys are running convent.
when I turn on the p25 it does not scan the other local stuff am I missing something??
any help would be great Im still pretty new to the sds200

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
In my state I have the state patrol using p25 wiscom and all the local guys are running convent.
when I turn on the p25 it does not scan the other local stuff am I missing something??
any help would be great Im still pretty new to the sds200
Make sure that your conventional (non-trunked) frequencies are in conventional systems, not added to a trunked system. For the ones that you are not hearing (conventional?), did you append those from the main database, or enter them manually? If entered manually, if you are using location, be sure that you also included the location information for them.

You might also attach your Favorites list (if you are using one instead of just the main database) to a post so that someone can see if something is incorrect or out of place. (Disregard the information below if you are only using the main database and location, not a Favorites list.)

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or another file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

mazdaspeed1

Feed Provider
I do hear the conventional just fine and I did get them from the data base and same with the p25
I also see that that the p25 system is showing that it is a p25
I have the conventional systems and that p25 state patrol systems on quick keys but when p25 is on along with the conventional systems it seems that the conventional systems are being skipped in the scan

Attachments

• State Patrol.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 7

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I do hear the conventional just fine and I did get them from the data base and same with the p25
I also see that that the p25 system is showing that it is a p25
I have the conventional systems and that p25 state patrol systems on quick keys but when p25 is on along with the conventional systems it seems that the conventional systems are being skipped in the scan
There are no "conventional frequencies" in your attached file. The only thing in that list is the statewide system, WISCOM, talkgroups for various departments (many avoided), and it appears to also have all of the sites for the statewide system.

Are your conventional frequencies in a separate Favorites list that was not attached? Or, by chance, did you load those frequencies into one of the sites? If the conventionals are in a separate Fav list. attach that one to a post as well.

Having all of the statewide system's sites really slows down your scanning speed. For the ones out of range, the scanner will still take a short about of time to see if it can "hear" the site before moving to the next one. While the avoided departments (in other words, locked out), if it were me, I'd just delete them so as not to confuse the issue. If you were traveling the state, using your scanner with a GPS, then that would turn sites and departments on or off as they come into, and pass out of, range. But if just scanning from home, the extra, avoided, departments are just excess baggage.

mazdaspeed1

Feed Provider
Correct my conventional frequencies are in a separate favorite lists I did attach them as well

Attachments

• State Patrol.zip
    23.2 KB · Views: 2

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Correct my conventional frequencies are in a separate favorite lists I did attach them as well
OK, I see nothing obvious in the conventionals. You have a separate list for each city and county? All appear to be scannable, not avoided.

Those should scan if loaded. Look at your profile for the SDS200. Make sure that you have each list, your statewide and the four conventional ones, set to be both downloaded as well as monitored. On your scanner:
Press Menu
With Set Scan Selection highlighted, press the E/enter key to select.
Scroll down to Select Lists to Monitor, and press E/enter to select that option.
The top entries are Full Database, and Search with Scan. You probably see those set as "Off".
Down below those should be the Favorites lists on the scanner. Make sure that WISCOM shows as On.
You should also see the four lists for the cities and counties. Are each of them present on the screen, and set as On as well?

While there's no requirement that you put each city or county in a separate list, there's no real reason not to. You don't have any quick keys assigned to anything that I see, so you would not be able to turn any of these on or off unless through the menu system. I would have all of these in one Favorites list, but that's my preference, not a requirement, I would also add quick keys so that you can turn them on and off without having to do it through the menu. Again, that's not required, but it is how I would handle it.

I would suggest, for clarity, that you go through the WISCOM system, and eliminate those departments that are out of range and/or not of interest. Also, I'd cut down the sites to only those in range, such as in your home county, and perhaps the neighboring counties. Cutting those out would increase your scan speed measurably. You can trim the sites down in the main menu of Sentinel, if you wish. See this for one method. This is something I created for someone else, but the method could just as easily used in your area.

mazdaspeed1

Feed Provider
Ok thank you for the advice on this Im still kind of new to this scanner and software and hopefully everything will turn out on the scanner for me
much appreciated Steve!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You're welcome

If you have more specific questions, either add to your thread here, or send me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.