Problem with latest sentinel deleting favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5RGP

since the last update a few weeks ago, im having an intermittent problem

I can read one of my scanners, make a few changes and write changes back to same scanner

and my favorites list will be tore all apart, as in say favorites list 1 will contain all the systems that where in fav list 10 but none of its own systems
and 10's favorites may be in 8 and 8's favorites will be no where to be found

and its not just on the scanner its in sentinel also

yes im making sure i have the right target model selected.

I only noticed this happening after the last update

the only way i get everything back is to read a different scanner and shut sentinel down and start it back up then make the changes again
and send them back to the scanner that it hosed up to begin with

anyone else having similar issues?

Computer is a windows 10 desktop

K8EAA

Premium Subscriber

I can read one of my scanners, make a few changes and write changes back to same scanner

and my favorites list will be tore all apart, as in say favorites list 1 will contain all the systems that where in fav list 10 but none of its own systems

the only way i get everything back is to read a different scanner and shut sentinel down and start it back up then make the changes again

Same here! I thought it was just me. Made a bit of a mess of the FLs. Also running win 10 1803.

Don

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've had that problem for a while now. Systems seem to get shuffled around between different favourite lists. I attributed it to using a cloud based server to store my favourite lists.

I switched to keeping the files all on one laptop and it's better but not perfect.

BBossman1

I have no issues with Sentinel and Windows 10 as y'all are describing. I rarely make changes on the scanner and do all my editing and creating of favorites lists in Sentinel, when I write to the scanner, I always select the delete favorites option., maybe try that next time.

ETA: I also make sure that I have the profile for the particular scanner "open" as well as selecting the correct target model.

budevans

Same here! I thought it was just me. Made a bit of a mess of the FLs. Also running win 10 1803.

Don

Just to be safe, you might want to run Windows Update. Win10 version 1809 came out late last year. 1809 is Microsoft's designation for September 2018 and 1803 is for March of 2018. There have been more than a few updates for 1809.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Windows normally does automatic updates, but it did prompt me to install an update. We'll see, but all other things mentioned I usually do. 3 separate profiles and target model is changed. I went into my C-Drive, Program files, Uniden, BCDx36hp folder and copied that folder. Deleted current one on desktop, changed file name by deleting lower case dash, pasted it to desktop and so far the Favorites lists have not been changed. I'm not sure if this is a fix for my issue but it apparently didn't harm it.

marksmith

No issues here. Have 100 and 200 and have made lots of changes to favorites lists and have done all firmware and Sentinel upgrades, which have been numerous over the past few weeks.

It would not surprise me to learn you really have Windows 10 problems instead of Sentinel problems. I used to run a Win10 machine for my Sentinel platform, but I got tired of the issues. I still have the Win10 but I bought a fast Win7 Pro machine because I never had problems there. Working flawlessly.

When I used Win10 I was constantly replacing the Uniden drivers because Win10 would decide it knew better after every upgrade or monthly update that it does. I could always get it to work again, but only after troubleshooting after each Windows update process. By far, the better machine for a scanner support platform is Win7 or Win7 Pro.

Win10 just did a monthly update a week ago, so my guess is that was the culprit, not the latest Sentinel update.

dfw1193

Never had issues but running on win 8.1 and win 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. No thing I consider is important to me ever goes on a win 10 machine, in fact havent turned on a win 10 machine in months but only have 1 laptop and 1 desktop with win 10 the other 8 desktops and 10laptops use mostly xp and win 7 with no issues, none of my machines live on the internet.

W5RGP

Never had issues but running on win 8.1 and win 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. No thing I consider is important to me ever goes on a win 10 machine, in fact havent turned on a win 10 machine in months but only have 1 laptop and 1 desktop with win 10 the other 8 desktops and 10laptops use mostly xp and win 7 with no issues, none of my machines live on the internet.

Yea it’s not a windows problem
It’s also happening at times on a Windows 7 system

Seems to happen when I create a fav list on Scanner then read it into sentinel
And then make changes there then send it back to Scanner

Maybe sentinel has some kind of indexing going on somewhere and it’s getting hosed up there somehow when you are creating lists on both software and scanners

Maybe Paul can chime in on a possible fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toad99

Premium Subscriber
I have seen this issue several times. For me, sometimes if I delete a favorites list or rename it or do something else to the list, the departments can get completely shifted around between lists. I keep a backup folder of the favorite lists just in case. Fortunately, with 4 scanners with the same lists, I can also download non-corrupted lists from a scanner that has not been updated. Just make sure that lists and departments align before your write to the scanner.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I meant that systems get scrambled around, not departments. Running Windows 10, have seen problem since last summer.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others[/QUOTE]
I have seen this issue several times. For me, sometimes if I delete a favorites list or rename it or do something else to the list, the departments can get completely shifted around between lists. I keep a backup folder of the favorite lists just in case. Fortunately, with 4 scanners with the same lists, I can also download non-corrupted lists from a scanner that has not been updated. Just make sure that lists and departments align before your write to the scanner.
Actually, I meant that systems get scrambled around, not departments. Running Windows 10, have seen problem since last summer.

This is exactly what I've been seeing and resolve it the same way. As soon as I see everything is correct, I back it up on spare SD cards and ProScan. This has been a life saver at times.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm running Windows7 32 bit so Windows10 and updates would seem to have nothing to do with it.

I made a bunch of favorite list changes this weekend and experienced the problem multiple times.

Like others, I've learned to back up my data before using Sentinel. Proscan works well for this. When a favorites list becomes corrupted, I export the HPE file from Proscan and import into Sentinel. This has saved my bacon many times.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm running Windows7 32 bit so Windows10 and updates would seem to have nothing to do with it.

I made a bunch of favorite list changes this weekend and experienced the problem multiple times.

Like others, I've learned to back up my data before using Sentinel. Proscan works well for this. When a favorites list becomes corrupted, I export the HPE file from Proscan and import into Sentinel. This has saved my bacon many times.

I never mentioned this issue before thinking it was something I did. I'm not alone anymore! :LOL:

flippus1

Old Timer
Premium Subscriber
I’ve been experiencing a similar problem. When I load my scanner, the control freqs on the top favorites doesn’t always load and I have to duplicate and delete the corrupted favorite. I have been using Butel to backup and tweak my scanners.

marksmith

I always strongly recommend using the option to delete all favorites lists on the scanner when uploading to it.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I always strongly recommend using the option to delete all favorites lists on the scanner when uploading to it.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

That would work except if after you made some changes to one of your favorites list, saved it, and you later found out it was moved, deleted etc., then you'd be a little upset. Fortunately I use other programs which has saved my hide more than once.

MAguln8839

I thought it was me doing something wrong, but I have seen this issue too. I’m running win10 and it’s up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.