Is buying a New Scanner Worth it and will it keep up with Today's Communications Protocols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb1965

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD396T that used to be a really good radio that picked up everything from Police, Fire and E.M.S. Today, I am unable to listen to anything on it, sadly? I am assuming that, This is due to Agencies Encrypting their Frequencies? I would like to purchase a Newer Scanner from Bearcat, but investing Over a Thousand Dollars with everything that comes seperate at Scanner Master for a New Bearcat in an uncertain ever changing World of Encryption and Technology is a chance that I am not sure that I want to take. I wonder What the future holds for Us Scanner Listeners?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since you didn't say what systems you are trying to monitor, it's difficult for anyone to say whether or not encryption is the problem.

It's possible that the systems you are interested in have changed frequencies or changed communications protocols. It's possible that you may need to reprogram your scanner. Have you looked up your systems of interest in the RR Database to see if any changes have been made compared to how your scanner is programmed? Does the database indicate that these systems are encrypted?

It is illegal in the U.S. to monitor encrypted radio systems. If the systems you wish to monitor have gone to encryption, no "newer scanner from Bearcat" will help you.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There are several threads on this forum discussing the future of the hobby. I'd recommend that you search those out for a more in-depth discussion. That said, also search the database for your local area and systems/agencies of interest to see whether they may be encrypted. Any Mode designated as a "DE" represents a frequency that is fully encrypted and beyond your ability to hear. I would also suggest that you visit your local state forum for information that is more relevant to you. Lastly, you don't have to spend $1000 for a new high-end scanner with all the trimmings. The add-ons recommended by ScannerMaster are optional and many times are unnecessary. You can save more money by programming the scanner yourself.

paulmohr

Let the guys here know where you live and what you are trying to listen to. Someone will probably let you know what is going on or what might be the problem. It could be they upgraded your areas digital systems to something your scanner can't do. Or like someone mentioned maybe they just mixed things up and it needs to be re programmed. It is possible they went to encryption as well. And like said above, if it is encrypted you are pretty much boned. There is nothing you can buy as a consumer that is legal that will handle encrypted signals regardless of how much money you throw at it.

And I will second what Bob said above. You do not have to spend $1000 dollars on a scanner for it to work well. My scanner, outdoor antenna and cables were less than that. There are some decent models in the 4-5 hundred dollar price range that work pretty well that you can program with free software and a cheap subcription to Radiorefernce's data base. Even less if you don't mind getting a used one.

As for the hobby being dead that all depends on where you live and what you want to listen to. In my area most of the police and fire are still analog so I could get by with cheap scanner or SDR. State police, rail roads and utilities have mostly gone digital though. Then in other states they have gone to encryption, so ya the hobby would be dead in those areas. What is dead in my area is CB radio.

steveb1965

Premium Subscriber
There are several threads on this forum discussing the future of the hobby. I'd recommend that you search those out for a more in-depth discussion. That said, also search the database for your local area and systems/agencies of interest to see whether they may be encrypted. Any Mode designated as a "DE" represents a frequency that is fully encrypted and beyond your ability to hear. I would also suggest that you visit your local state forum for information that is more relevant to you. Lastly, you don't have to spend $1000 for a new high-end scanner with all the trimmings. The add-ons recommended by ScannerMaster are optional and many times are unnecessary. You can save more money by programming the scanner yourself.

Thank you very much for your insight Bob550, I will take your advice. I love the excitement of listening to Action as it is happening. Hopefully there is still hope for this great past time.

Thank you,
Steveb1965

steveb1965

Premium Subscriber
Let the guys here know where you live and what you are trying to listen to. Someone will probably let you know what is going on or what might be the problem. It could be they upgraded your areas digital systems to something your scanner can't do. Or like someone mentioned maybe they just mixed things up and it needs to be re programmed. It is possible they went to encryption as well. And like said above, if it is encrypted you are pretty much boned. There is nothing you can buy as a consumer that is legal that will handle encrypted signals regardless of how much money you throw at it.

And I will second what Bob said above. You do not have to spend $1000 dollars on a scanner for it to work well. My scanner, outdoor antenna and cables were less than that. There are some decent models in the 4-5 hundred dollar price range that work pretty well that you can program with free software and a cheap subcription to Radiorefernce's data base. Even less if you don't mind getting a used one.

As for the hobby being dead that all depends on where you live and what you want to listen to. In my area most of the police and fire are still analog so I could get by with cheap scanner or SDR. State police, rail roads and utilities have mostly gone digital though. Then in other states they have gone to encryption, so ya the hobby would be dead in those areas. What is dead in my area is CB radio.

Thank you Paulmohr, I have a Program on CD that I purchased that I can use to Try and Program My Areas Frequencies into My BCD 396T. I now live in Wilmington, N.C. (New Hanover County).

Thank you,
Steveb1965

steveb1965

Premium Subscriber
Since you didn't say what systems you are trying to monitor, it's difficult for anyone to say whether or not encryption is the problem.

It's possible that the systems you are interested in have changed frequencies or changed communications protocols. It's possible that you may need to reprogram your scanner. Have you looked up your systems of interest in the RR Database to see if any changes have been made compared to how your scanner is programmed? Does the database indicate that these systems are encrypted?

It is illegal in the U.S. to monitor encrypted radio systems. If the systems you wish to monitor have gone to encryption, no "newer scanner from Bearcat" will help you.

Thank you W9NU for your input. I live in Wilmington, N.C (New Hanover County) I am Using a BCD396T Scanner. I would like to hear Police, Fire, And E.M.S. I will take you up on your Advice.

Thank you,
Steveb1965

N8IAA

Thank you W9NU for your input. I live in Wilmington, N.C (New Hanover County) I am Using a BCD396T Scanner. I would like to hear Police, Fire, And E.M.S. I will take you up on your Advice.

Thank you,
Steveb1965

A simple trip to the RR database will get you your answer. On the county P-25 system, all of the LE is 'E'. FD and EMS are in the clear. Maybe on the VHF/UHF frequencies you might hear their responses.

Larry

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
There's plenty to monitor on a scanner radio/communications receiver/SDR, etc aside from public safety where a majority of the encryption seems to be taking place. My county's implementing a system to go online in a few months where law enforcement/public safety will be encrypted, I'll still have plenty to listen to nonetheless. Part of the fun of the hobby is just scanning around and seeing what you can pick up, but ultimately it depends on where you are & what you're interested in monitoring

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There's plenty to monitor on a scanner radio/communications receiver/SDR, etc aside from public safety where a majority of the encryption seems to be taking place.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. While non-Public Safety monitoring may lack the sense of urgency or excitement, there are ways to broaden your interests. Most often, we only lack the awareness of what's on the air. So, try subscribing to an online hobby magazine such as The Spectrum Monitor, or read through the posts in the RR forum dedicated to "Service Specific Monitoring". You may find several areas of interest to monitor you didn't know existed. For example, monitoring aircraft has always been popular. But expand on this and set up your own ADS-B receiving station to track aircraft in your local region (I have). Couple that with monitoring the aircraft frequencies and see if you can hear the transmissions from the aircraft you're tracking. Now, you can not only hear them, but you'll know where they are too.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Wilmington is one of the few places in NC that encrypts some of the dispatch channels. The sheriff and Wilmington PD Encrypted, but everything else is in the clear including some of the smaller police departments. NCSHP is in the clear as is most of the stuff on VIPER.

Fortunately, the bulk of North Carolina is unencrypted (at least for now)...

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
To each their own.

Personally I don't care what school buses are doing.
You'd be surprised how entertaining the school buses TGs around here can be. It's usually more interesting than listening to some of the nearby rural counties sheriffs :)

n1das

Listening to the local and state plow crews can be interesting and sometimes hilarious to listen to during a major snowstorm in the region.

There will always plenty of stuff to listen to.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It's not about Cheap Thrills for me. A large part of it is situational awareness. I was grateful to know that the suspects in a triple homicide Two Towns over abandoned the getaway vehicle three houses up from me. It was night time and instead of going out to throw the garbage and do some other miscellaneous things outside I decided it was a better idea to stay inside with the doors locked. And of course if I had seen anything I would have said something.

I don't know if they ever caught them because the story never hit the papers, yet another reason why we need to know what's actually going on since we are never told hardly anything.

EricHoffman

I just drove through NC on my way to Florida. There was plenty to listen to on the "viper system" in NC. Sounds like a newer trunked system that you would need to have a newer radio for. As far as encryption goes, you cant stop it. There is still plenty to listen to.

RayAir

I guess it's OK to buy one if you have excess money to spend. I couldn't justify spending a grand for a new scanner with all the additional add-ons because I can do everything that scanner does for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.