Newbie that is an Oldbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRHill02

Hi folks,

My 1st scanner was an 'ol RS-2048 and its been retired. Frankly, I don't know where it is.... But it is virtually worthless for my purposes these days anyway. So I'm determined to quit procrastinating and get a new unit and am actively researching that now. Here is the short list of priorities:

- to monitor a wide freq spectrum;
- to monitor FRS and subchanels during hunting/poaching season;
- to monitor police (county and state patrol), fire, etc.
- weather, of course;
- to monitor my MURS long range zone alarms and send a text/email if a xmission/alert occurs.

The last item is actually the reason I have registered here and I'm sure there is some expertise that is applicable.

We live off grid in the forest, 100% self contained. There are predators of the 2 and 4 legged type and we have livestock. If a tree falls in the forest we either did it or know which one fell. We watch that closely 'cause each and every one are our asserts and responsibility - they all have a use. I look forward to using this venue and hope to contribute as I learn. My skills are mechanical. The electrical is AC/DC not RF stuff.

Best,
Jim

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi Jim,
Welcome back to the hobby.

The first thing you should do is check out the Radio Reference Database for your count. Here is a link: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2977

It looks for the most part you have a lot of conventional analog stuff, which makes buying a scanner easier.
But scroll down to the page and you will find several trunk systems. You should go through each one and find out if there is anything those systems you would like to monitor. There are P25 Phase 2 systems, DMR, and LTR. If there are any systems in those groups you want to monitor, that will help guide you into what scanner you will need to purchase.

I would recommend stopping into the Washington State Forum and see if any locals to you can give you any specific guidance on what they use and what you should buy.

With any limits you find in the database pertaining to your local police, just about any scanner on the market will put a check next to each of your requirements.

Best of luck and enjoy being back in the hobby.

Bob1955

Hi folks,

My 1st scanner was an 'ol RS-2048 and its been retired. Frankly, I don't know where it is.... But it is virtually worthless for my purposes these days anyway. So I'm determined to quit procrastinating and get a new unit and am actively researching that now. Here is the short list of priorities:

- to monitor a wide freq spectrum;
- to monitor FRS and subchanels during hunting/poaching season;
- to monitor police (county and state patrol), fire, etc.
- weather, of course;
- to monitor my MURS long range zone alarms and send a text/email if a xmission/alert occurs.

The last item is actually the reason I have registered here and I'm sure there is some expertise that is applicable.

We live off grid in the forest, 100% self contained. There are predators of the 2 and 4 legged type and we have livestock. If a tree falls in the forest we either did it or know which one fell. We watch that closely 'cause each and every one are our asserts and responsibility - they all have a use. I look forward to using this venue and hope to contribute as I learn. My skills are mechanical. The electrical is AC/DC not RF stuff.

Best,
Jim
Phil from "Scanner School" is the MOST knowledgeable person out there Jim. So with that being said, decide what your requirements are and let him know. Phil seems to think that your area is analog. Have a great Presidents Day.

wtp

the uniden can do a service search with scan.
it just does one thing and them moves on and is quick.
so you could listen to your local PD and scan through FRS,GMRS,MURS.
at 80 channels a second it is quick.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If you “live off grid in the forest” I hope you have or are planning to get a good scanner antenna and get it mounted outside as high as possible.

JRHill02

If you “live off grid in the forest” I hope you have or are planning to get a good scanner antenna and get it mounted outside as high as possible.

I know this to be true from past experiences and esp cell service. Our spot is half way up in a canyon 1000' deep and slightly less than a mile wide. Even with the best of equipment I will be at a disadvantage due to location.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Washington State Patrol is already on p25 Phase 1 in your area. Across the river in Oregon the State Police are on a trunked p25 Phase II system and Sherman and Gilliam counties are also trunked p25 phase II. It is believed Klickitat County may migrate to that same Sherman/Gilliam system in the future. Yakima County is reportedly planning to migrate to an NXDN system in the future. So depending on what is important for you to monitor you may already be limiting yourself with an analog-only scanner and may be even more limited in the not-too-distant future. If Yakima County law enforcement is important to you it narrows down your radio choices considerably as only the more recent Whistler and Uniden models support the NXDN mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.