246.8000 Navigation out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
besides RR, can anyone recommend a list of mil air frequencies that might be useful in central NC? @nmelfi i did not know there was much mil air traffic around travelers rest or greenville proper.
Where you located at in Central NC?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
High point,NC
You should have no problem hearing Refuel Track 206 at the very least, I live in Johnston County an can hear refuel tracks off the coast as well. I'm sure from your location you can pick up 206 plus the mountain tracks. AR206 is usually very active during the week with multiple refuelers during the day.

Military Radio Comms VHF/UHF Frequencies

trauts14

You should have no problem hearing Refuel Track 206 at the very least, I live in Johnston County an can hear refuel tracks off the coast as well. I'm sure from your location you can pick up 206 plus the mountain tracks. AR206 is usually very active during the week with multiple refuelers during the day.

Military Radio Comms VHF/UHF Frequencies

thank you. i was looking at the map, 207 appears to be close to NC. 206 is up north near the great lakes, correct?

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Yep 207 sorry about that. The entry point is almost directly over RDU airport. I usually can hear comms until they pass into SC.

trauts14

@W4ZWA it looks like 207 goes over, or very close to johnston county. i just installed an outdoor wideband antenna and will monitor the two freqs used for 207. thanks. -----------KI4HOT

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
@W4ZWA it looks like 207 goes over, or very close to johnston county. i just installed an outdoor wideband antenna and will monitor the two freqs used for 207. thanks. -----------KI4HOT
Wouldn't be surprised if you hear something today. My ADS-B site shows two KC135's from Seymour Johnson up, one returning and the other just took off.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I was curious about that airport too, and found that the NC ANG has a few squadrons there, including the air traffic controllers that run the tower. There are also C130 aircraft used for weather operations (hurricane hunters?). The runway is rather short, so probably no fighter traffic or large transports, but there was a note about parachute activity. More info here: North Carolina Air National Guard - Wikipedia

krokus

Premium Subscriber
@spacellamaman thank you. i am mounting my first scanner antenna on the chimney this weeked, and hopefully will be able to receive some mil air comms even though i am in central nc. pretty crazy to think stanly co airport has civilian and mil traffic. i looked online and could not find any pages explaining exactly what mil air traffic utilizes stanly co airport. Thanks for the link.
I have flown in and out of there in C-130s and KC-135s. But there is a lot of various training that goes on, so it could be any different types.

Sent using Tapatalk

spacellamaman

I have flown in and out of there in C-130s and KC-135s. But there is a lot of various training that goes on, so it could be any different types.

Sent using Tapatalk
My base had them, so we did not need to task another wing for logistic support.

Sent using Tapatalk

i don't think we're on the same page here. i meant: what were the circumstances to which you flew in and out of KVUJ in a KC-135?

I've seen some big birds come and go up there, but if i ever heard that a KC-135 had landed, I would be clearing my calendar and burning rubber to watch it take back off again.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
246.8 is a unofficial air-to-air frequency known as 'cheerleader'. Most military pilots know it, so the unit could be anyone. Often used for cross countries or anytime they need a quick TAC freq.

Similar to 123.45 used by commercial pilots and others on VHF for similar purposes.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
i don't think we're on the same page here. i meant: what were the circumstances to which you flew in and out of KVUJ in a KC-135?

I've seen some big birds come and go up there, but if i ever heard that a KC-135 had landed, I would be clearing my calendar and burning rubber to watch it take back off again.
My squadron was doing some training at the site. Each shop doing some work, as well as some field tactics, that were difficult to do at our home base. It was easier to fly there direct, than to shuttle out from Charlotte.

Sent using Tapatalk

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
"Memphis" could be a tactical callsign and nothing to do with TN or ARTCC.
I have heard something similar a couple times. Unable to tell whether it was military training or DEA/CBP/ICE/FBI training or something real.

One time when I lived closer to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I heard atual CBP aircraft following a smuggler(?) aircraft and coodinating with Fort Worth ARTCC on a UHF freq that was normally an approach/departure channel at DFW Airport. They followed the smuggler (or whatever it was) to a small airport.
Tom, this is Brian in Lake Worth. I'm trying to send you a PM but I keep getting a message saying I can't do that. If you can PM me please do and I will send you my email address if allowed. I haven't talked with you since my eye surgeries in 2001 and would like to catch up. Sorry for the off-topic post but I'm not sure how else to reach you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.