• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NOAA for 7/800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFrank615

Does such a thing exist? I tried doing some research last night but I cannot find anything. I have a G4 is why I ask. Thanks in advance!

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
Not to my knowledge, but not meaning to be a smart butt, but the PD & FD dispatchers here in Illinois repeat any watches & warnings over public safety channels/TGs to notify first responders for safety reasons. I would have to guess yours would too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, at least probably not what you are thinking of.
There is no 24/7 broadcasted weather reports other than the 162.xxx frequencies.

What you can find, -sometimes- is the radio links to specific transmitters. Around here, I can get the NWS office to transmitter link in the lower 400MHz range. Usually these links are low power and use directional antennas, but if you are in the right place, you could receive them on UHF, but ONLY if the NWS office near you is doing it the same way. There are several ways to get audio from the NWS office to the transmitter that doesn't require UHF radio links.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
An historic note - the old Portland, Oregon Motorola trunked system once had a talk group set up with a link to the VHF NOAA wether broadcasts. The talk group would only become active if someone affiliated a radio to that talk group. But scanning through the system you would almost always find that talk group chatting away with the weather. Must have eaten up some system resources and they eventually dropped it for good.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Sell your G4 on eBay and get a G5 VHF model. Mine works great on NOAA weather channels. I have all seven Wx channels programmed 'cause you never know where you might be when you need to listen to a NOAA station. There's probably other analog, P25 or DMR in your area on VHF that would be useful to have available in your Unication.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
NOAA VHF is next to impossible to receive in Northern Macomb County, Michigan. It has been for years. They should either make it right or shut it down. :mad:

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
For those needing weather emergency alerts realtime, an alternative to a radio SAME feed is pretty simple if you have a smart phone or tablet. There are numerous apps that include alerting, the best of breed might the FEMA app, Mobile App | FEMA.gov now fully configurable for many types of alerts. It's available for both iOS and Android devices. Weather alerts are also available as RSS feeds from NWS Public Alerts in XML/CAP v1.1 and ATOM Formats - NOAA's National Weather Service using RSS reader apps on smart phones, tablets, or PCs.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
For those needing weather emergency alerts realtime, an alternative to a radio SAME feed is pretty simple if you have a smart phone or tablet. There are numerous apps that include alerting, the best of breed might the FEMA app, Mobile App | FEMA.gov now fully configurable for many types of alerts. It's available for both iOS and Android devices. Weather alerts are also available as RSS feeds from NWS Public Alerts in XML/CAP v1.1 and ATOM Formats - NOAA's National Weather Service using RSS reader apps on smart phones, tablets, or PCs.

Good point. I have several weather apps on my iPhone and I like them a lot. Of course you have to have cell and/or internet service for these types of things. NOAA could go down as well in a serious storm, but where I live there are three different transmitters within range of any reasonably good receiver. Chances are at least one would remain on the air.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
There are also methods to receive weather alerts via SMS, which may be more reliable than depending solely on Internet availability. Some are listed at Email and SMS Weather Alert Services . I run a dedicated server distributing alerts to my community using email, SMS, HTTP, social media, Telegram, etc... The server aggregates data from NOAA sources (Satellite downlink, EMWIN, Weather Wire), filters for local needs, then sends via the aforementioned methods. But honestly, the FEMA app has improved so much I may soon give up maintaining the beast!

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
A followup example...the message below was received just a few minutes ago:

NCZ087-096-099-105>110-SCZ017-023-024-032-033-039-054>056-058-059-
210500-
Robeson-Bladen-Columbus-Inland Pender-Coastal Pender-
Inland New Hanover-Coastal New Hanover-Inland Brunswick-
Coastal Brunswick-Marlboro-Darlington-Dillon-Florence-Marion-
Williamsburg-Coastal Horry-Inland Georgetown-Coastal Georgetown-
Central Horry-Northern Horry-
Including the cities of Lumberton, Elizabethtown, Bladenboro,
Whiteville, Tabor City, Chadbourn, Lake Waccamaw, Burgaw,
Surf City, Wilmington, Masonboro, Myrtle Grove, Ogden,
Carolina Beach, Seagate, Boiling Spring Lakes, Leland, Shallotte,
Oak Island, Long Beach, Southport, Sunset Beach, Bennettsville,
McColl, Hartsville, Darlington, North Hartsville, Dillon,
Florence, Marion, Mullins, Kingstree, Myrtle Beach, Socastee,
North Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Little River, Andrews,
Georgetown, Murrells Inlet, Conway, Longs, Bucksport, Loris,
Green Sea, and Aynor
705 PM EST Wed Feb 20 2019

...LOCALLY DENSE FOG REDUCING VISIBILITIES AT TIMES...

Areas of fog have developed this evening with some locations
reporting visibilities at 1/2 mile or less. Fog is expected to
persist into the late evening and possibly overnight hours.
Motorists should be prepared for rapidly changing visibilities
this evening, especially if traveling in or near low lying areas.
Reduced visibilities will affect drivers in the region, including
parts of I-40, I-95, I-20, and I-74. Drivers are advised to use
extra caution this afternoon and evening and use low beam
headlights.

$$

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Check for a local amateur radio severe weather (storm spotters) network in your area. These frequencies can be very informative during weather events.

Yes, SKYWARN and spotters are another good source...but the OP, with a G4, can't receive those as they are almost exclusively on 2mtr.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I guess there are places and people that still NOAA, sure I'm glad I'm not one of them. Otherwise seems unnecessary and a waste of money.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
This is a bit in the weeds, but you'll sometimes find NOAA rebroadcasts on 1610 - 1710 kHz, where Emergency Alert Stations and Traveler's Information Stations reside. Travelers' Information Stations Search

Even more in the weeds would be to go to AWC - Aviation Weather Center . Airports, if you have one near, have weather monitoring equipment and produce synoptic reports of value. I use our local Trenton airport's TAF and METARS for weather info.

Oh, and what is a G4 and G5?

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Even with a VHF G5, you'll only be able to monitor NOAA in a separate knob position apart from any 800 MHz frequencies. You'll not have the benefit of any SAME alerts or the level of sophistication achieved with most scanners today. As others have posted, smartphone weather apps will pass along most NOAA weather alerts and are your best choice.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I guess there are places and people that still NOAA, sure I'm glad I'm not one of them. Otherwise seems unnecessary and a waste of money.

I think mariners and people that live on coastlines appreciate having NOAA weather channels available to them, especially during storm season. Since much of the business of weather broadcasting on VHF NOAA channels is now semi-automated I doubt it is a significant percentage of the US Government's annual budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.