TxWarn frequencies differ between app download and DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

Just noticed that tonight. All the sites I downloaded end with "0". However, Looking at the DB, They all end with "5". Not just that, But there are some freq's missing from one set but present in the other or vice versa. Which set do I go with? Or do I put both in? Still can't Pasadena to come across Harris county central.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Just noticed that tonight. All the sites I downloaded end with "0". However, Looking at the DB, They all end with "5". Not just that, But there are some freq's missing from one set but present in the other or vice versa. Which set do I go with? Or do I put both in? Still can't Pasadena to come across Harris county central.

Pasadena will never come across HC Central. Pasadena is on RFSS 3 of system 1A7. I would try the Houston Southeast simulcast (site 03-003).

Cruiseomatic

Someone told me they do.... For some reason, site 3-003 hardly comes across and when it does, Its always unintelligible. And, I usually get a weak signal from it. Everything else works fine but them... Is there something I'm missing?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Someone told me they do.... For some reason, site 3-003 hardly comes across and when it does, Its always unintelligible. And, I usually get a weak signal from it. Everything else works fine but them... Is there something I'm missing?

Where are you located?

Cruiseomatic

Southeast Houston area. Using freescan and been having problems with it lately. Is there any certain settings I should have enabled?

Last edited:

KevinC

Super Moderator
Southeast Houston area. Using freescan and been having problems with it lately.

You may just be in a bad spot for it. I can get 03-003 from Ft Bend county to Galveston to Mt Belvieu.

I'm guessing you are using a 325? If so they aren't the best choice for P25 simulcast.

You may also be experiencing local interference. Does 03-003 sound good away from where you normally monitor?

And don't worry about the .00005 kHz difference, the radio can't notice such a small difference.

Cruiseomatic

Yes, I'm using a 325. There is only one spot I've found it works. Anywhere else, Its trash. Site 1-52 works great and its simulcast. Radio shows full signal, NFM on modulation even though I set it to auto, and 6-7 for P25 threshold. And its not just Pasadena, ANY TGID on that tower is garbled trash.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Yes, I'm using a 325. There is only one spot I've found it works. Anywhere else, Its trash. Site 1-52 works great and its simulcast. Radio shows full signal, NFM on modulation even though I set it to auto, and 6-7 for P25 threshold. And its not just Pasadena, ANY TGID on that tower is garbled trash.

I suspect 1-052 works for you because it only has 1 subsite in the area, as opposed to 03-003 that has many.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Could the band plan be wrong? I just noticed its the same no mater which site im on.

The scanner reads the bandplan over the air from the system, so I'd assume it would be correct.

KevinC

Super Moderator
If 3-003 has many subsites, What can I do for this to work? This digital is all new to me.

You won't like this answer, but a different radio may solve your issue.

Uniden recently launched 2 models specifically designed to deal with simulcast issues (SDS100 and SDS200) and people seem to be having good results with them. I don't own either one so I can't vouch for the accuracy of these reports.

Cruiseomatic

I just noticed something, Instead of freescan uploading the system as Mot Type 2 P25, It keeps sending it as P25 standard digital XT.
As far as band plan, It has one freq listed twice with two different spacing steps...

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just noticed something, Instead of freescan uploading the system as Mot Type 2 P25, It keeps sending it as P25 standard digital XT.
As far as band plan, It has one freq listed twice with two different spacing steps...
That's not a problem with the system type. Motorola Type 2 P25 was what you had to use on the original 396T. The later scanners, 396XT, and now the 325P2, have the P25 system type as one of the choices.

See Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
Simulcast can be a pain. Sometimes, less antenna is better than one that provides a stronger signal. Another thing that can work, in some cases, is to use a directional antenna, like a yagi, and aim it at one specific site. If you can aim it at a site that is in a different direction than where most are grouped, you might be able to get the scanner to work. There's no magic trick, just some trial and error. But in some cases, your only viable otion is to upgrade to the SDS100 or SDS00, or perhaps one of the Unication devices. Whistler has announced their own 'simulcast beater' scanners are in development, the TRX100 and TRX200. Original release date was for fourth quarter of last year. That was updated to the first quarter of this year, but now has moved to the second quarter of this year (April thru June time frame). There hasn't been a recent update on their progress, and until they are actually released for purchase, no way to know how they will handle simulcast in comparison to the Uniden models.

Cruiseomatic

Noticed something after playing with it for almost 2 weeks. Other sites I get consistently good reception, with site 3-003, reception is always weak and fluctuating. If I can getting a solid signal, it works fine. Even other simulcast sites work fine. It's just that one. However, sometimes all sites have a problem. Could it be a antenna problem? Using an old RS 800 mhz bnc. It's about 6 years old now.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Noticed something after playing with it for almost 2 weeks. Other sites I get consistently good reception, with site 3-003, reception is always weak and fluctuating. If I can getting a solid signal, it works fine. Even other simulcast sites work fine. It's just that one. However, sometimes all sites have a problem. Could it be a antenna problem? Using an old RS 800 mhz bnc. It's about 6 years old now.

It could be. As Steve posted above though, less antenna is sometimes better.

Cruiseomatic

Changed antennas and still have the weak signal problem with this site. Also seen where the CC seems to be changing as it will be 773.3812 per radio display then when the scan returns to that site, it will either show the modulation type looking for the CC or will show a totally different frequency thus missing any traffic that has occurred while it had to locate a CC. None of the other sites have any problems. Not simulcast distortion as no other sites on txwarn use what 3-03 does and when it does work, it's fine. There has got to be a setting or something I'm missing. Deer Park also uses this site as well.
Wish there was a way to know what TGID ran on what tower.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Changed antennas and still have the weak signal problem with this site. Also seen where the CC seems to be changing as it will be 773.3812 per radio display then when the scan returns to that site, it will either show the modulation type looking for the CC or will show a totally different frequency thus missing any traffic that has occurred while it had to locate a CC. None of the other sites have any problems. Not simulcast distortion as no other sites on txwarn use what 3-03 does and when it does work, it's fine. There has got to be a setting or something I'm missing. Deer Park also uses this site as well.
Wish there was a way to know what TGID ran on what tower.

I doubt it's a setting, but It could be. But sine you admit it does work sometimes I suspect it's your location...but I could be wrong.

Cruiseomatic

It does sometimes. And it's usually in one or two places. To add with it, some TGIDs will show up then disappear with no audio. Or, come up, show P25 audio but is dead quiet.

Cruiseomatic

Also, when I set the threshold to auto, I see a high error rate. It's almost like the Radio has a hard time finding and locking onto frequency or it's getting spurious emissions from another frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.