BCD996P2 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD18KO

Hi everyone. im in need of some help. I just bought a UNIDEN BCD996P2 and i need a some help. i have used freescan to import all the codes and frequencies for Washtenaw county Michigan in to the scanner. It will not pick up any police or fire radio traffic or dispatch. i can get U of M's public safety radio but i cant get any city department traffic. i have both the conventional and truncated frequencies in the scanner and still nothing. any help would be appreciated.

wtp

there is a small hint that they won't be on there until fall of 2019.
Washtenaw County

University of Michigan's Division of Public Safety and Security will be fully migrating to the MPSCS by the start of the third quarter of 2019. All public safety operations will on the statewide digital system. That said, DPSS officials are planning to encrypt all radio traffic for officer safety reasons.

and the encryption thing means you won't hear them anyway, but wait and see.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
CFD,
I'd suggest that your attach your FreeSCAN to a post. That way, someone can view it and look for any errors or omissions.

Attaching a FreeSCAN file to a post:

FreeSCAN uses file extension *.996, which cannot be directly attached to a post. What you’ll need to do is one of hese two was:

Compress your file into a *.zip file, which can be attached. This can be done with a file utility such as WinZip, or the free 7Zip. If your original file was named “MyFile.996”, the compressed file would be “MyFile.zip”.

The other method is to rename your file, using Windows Explorer. Again, for illustration, if your original file was named “MyFile.996”, find the file on your PC and rename it. <Right><Click> on the file and select ‘Rename’ from the pop-up menu. Rename your file to either “MyFile.txt” or “MyFile.996.txt”.

The zipped or renamed file can now be attached to a post. Whoever is going to take a look, to see anything missing or incorrect, can then download the file from your post, rename or unzip it, and open with FreeSCAN to view.

CFD18KO

i think the info i attached will work.if not let me know

Attachments

• Washtenaw Country trunked and conventional.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 17

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN is giving me an error message of "wrong version". Which version are you using? (check by clicking the Help drop-down menu, then selecting about)
I'm on 2.19b1, the latest version

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN is giving me an error message of "wrong version". Which version are you using? (check by clicking the Help drop-down menu, then selecting about)
I'm on 2.19b1, the latest version
OK, I figured out what happened. Looks like you zipped the file, then changed the extension on the zipped file to text (*.txt). Youu can upload a zipped file, so changing the name is not needed. Just either zip it, or change the extension name on your base *.996 file.

I'll look at it in a little while, then note what I see.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at your file, and also the page for your county in the database, I see several things.

It appears that you imported the Ann Arbor/Washtenaw County trunked system, but not the statewide MPSCS TRS. Reading comments on the database page, as well as in the Ann Arbor system, it appears that, as far as public safety is concerned (law enforcement, fire, EMS, etc), the Ann Arbor system is basically being used as a backup for MPSCS. If you look at your original file, and more specifically at he Ann Arbor/Washtenaw trunked system, you'll see several groups that are empty, no talkgroups at all. Look at the first two for Ypsilanti Township. Nothing in there. If you look at the system in the database, you'll see that all the talkgroups listed for that city are tagged as "Depreciated", no longer in use. You have others the same way, plus some, like Washtenaw County Fire Operations, are listed (in their description) as "fallback". That indicates that these might still be used if there was a failure that made MPSCS unavailable. I suspect that the same may apply to some of the conventional frequencies as well

What I've done, in the attached file, is that I imported your county's talkgroups from MPSCS. I did a blanket import, to get everyhing. I'm sure that there will be stuff, like Public Works (roads, for instance) that are not of interest to you. You can lock out whatever you don't want, or delete it from the file before you load to your scanner. Try the attached file and see if you notice a difference. The attached file is zipped. Unzip it with whatever program you used on the file you originally attached. No need to change the file extension; just unzip it.

I did not make any changes to the Ann Arbor trunked system, nor to your conventional files. I have no way of knowing which are correct and which are no longer used. I've never been to your area, and, of course, am far out of range. If you need help with the conventional frequencies, you might ask that your thread be moved to the Michigan Forum. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Attachments

• Washtenaw Country trunked conv 2.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 11

CFD18KO

Ok i will input it later today. Thank you for the help. as for the freescan im running 2.18-beta6 that's all the web page would let me download and that was only a few days ago. I will let you know what i find.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok i will input it later today. Thank you for the help. as for the freescan im running 2.18-beta6 that's all the web page would let me download and that was only a few days ago. I will let you know what i find.
Your FreeSCAN version was not the problem. What happened was that you zipped (compressed) your file, then renamed it to the text extion. I changed that back to the FreeSCAN 996 ext., and FreeSCAN could not open it. Once I figured out what happened, I changed the downloaded file back to a zip file, then opened the zip to get the programming file.

The main difference between the 2.18 version and the 2.19 one I have is that 2.19 has marginal support for DMR. But that is so limited, I just use ProScan instead.

Bob1955

there is a small hint that they won't be on there until fall of 2019.
Washtenaw County

University of Michigan's Division of Public Safety and Security will be fully migrating to the MPSCS by the start of the third quarter of 2019. All public safety operations will on the statewide digital system. That said, DPSS officials are planning to encrypt all radio traffic for officer safety reasons.

and the encryption thing means you won't hear them anyway, but wait and see.
wtp-This hasn't happened yet so why can't you help this guy? Why are MOST members like this here? Am I missing something here or what? I guess "Some" members like negativity!

wtp

bob1955, i am over 1000 miles away. it is very hard to check out his system.
my county is also in the middle of changing to 700 with full encryption.
so at some point i will be in his boat.
uniden's get quiet with encryption, so he would hear nothing.
you also don't know the lengths i have gone to help people here.
PM's, phone contact, and even coming to my house.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Here's one I have for Washtenaw digital, minus your analog conventionals, I put 911 type ops in key 1, U of M on 2, Public works on 3. I also always go through and vastly improve the text that will show making it easier to know what agency it is. Display goes red on fire dispatch and I put the PD-Fire on priority. Getting just a county in a download most often times outside agencies get missed, I.e. Air LZ 1, metroparks, corrections, interop with OSP, etc.
You'll see in this link if you do a search washtenaw and how it is laid out. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Attachments

• Washtenaw.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

CFD18KO

Thank you to every one for the help. Thank you hietx you fix my problem. I didint see the MPSCS system codes. ronaldski i thank you for your help i will use the attachment that you sent. sounds like it would make it a lot easier to see whats coming thru with the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.