BCD436HP - cuts in and out on trunk systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

a242789

I have had by BCD436HP for about a week now. I have noticed(finally) something odd - I was thinking it may be strength of signal related but not absolutely sure so I thought I would pose the question here.

So here is what happens on I would say all trunked systems -I don't notice or at least not yet as I don't have much activity on the conventional frequencies - I get a talk group active and the conversation begins and in about a second or so it cuts out for a fraction of a second. Then the conversation comes back in. Depends on how long they talk as to how many times this will happen. My observation is that when viewing the signal in the top right, I have 3 bars or so, then nothing(hence the cut out), and then back to 3 bars. I find it odd this occurs on most systems as some are closer than others. Trying to diagnose what may be going on in cause I have a bad radio I can return before it is too late.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

--Mickey

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Likely Priority is turned on for a system/department/channel you are not listening to. Its switching to that priority to take a brief listen then returns to your selected system.

Likely Priority is turned on for a system/department/channel you are not listening to. Its switching to that priority to take a brief listen then returns to your selected system.
Agree with this.

A "Priority Mode" is enabled somewhere in the scanner.

Watch the display closely to see...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If there is a priority "something" involved, this would be normal behavior and doesn't justify return. It could be a channel priority or a weather priority. You can check these via Sentinel and looking at/editing the profile. I don't have too much close call experience, but this could have been inadvertently activated. A bump of a knob is all it takes for that.

a242789

Ding ding ding....Priority was it...but that kind of sucks because of the side effect of setting priority - I have a couple of channels that was wanting to pre-empt anything else. It was set to ON with an interval of 2 seconds(default I presume). Would the DND Priority help - or is there a better strategy to use to give preference to something(s)?

Still glad to see it was configuration and not hardware.

--Mickey

a242789

And thanks that was really quick to get responses...

I have a BNC 800 MHz REMTRONIX Portable Antenna ordered and know that will help tremendously too as the original shipped antenna is not that good.

--Mickey

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Ding ding ding....Priority was it...but that kind of sucks because of the side effect of setting priority - I have a couple of channels that was wanting to pre-empt anything else. It was set to ON with an interval of 2 seconds(default I presume). Would the DND Priority help - or is there a better strategy to use to give preference to something(s)?

Still glad to see it was configuration and not hardware.

--Mickey

That’s always been the deal with programmable scanners for as long as I can remember. It’s not unique to what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Yeah. Without dual receivers it will have to cut out to check for the priority check. My Kenwood NX5000 radios do the same thing, just a lot quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCKFD34

I have had by BCD436HP for about a week now. I have noticed(finally) something odd - I was thinking it may be strength of signal related but not absolutely sure so I thought I would pose the question here.

So here is what happens on I would say all trunked systems -I don't notice or at least not yet as I don't have much activity on the conventional frequencies - I get a talk group active and the conversation begins and in about a second or so it cuts out for a fraction of a second. Then the conversation comes back in. Depends on how long they talk as to how many times this will happen. My observation is that when viewing the signal in the top right, I have 3 bars or so, then nothing(hence the cut out), and then back to 3 bars. I find it odd this occurs on most systems as some are closer than others. Trying to diagnose what may be going on in cause I have a bad radio I can return before it is too late.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

--Mickey
I get this too. Just got a 436.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is also the case with "real" radios, not just scanners. To check for a transmission on a priority, it has to stop listening to a non-priority transmission, so that's what you hear. Ain't no other way around it, other than to have one radio dedicated to each priority frequency.

bhagen17

Premium Subscriber
Also make certain that you don't have a weather alert (WX) active. I found that this produced the exact issue that you are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.