SDS200 Screen Flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtU

How was to possible that a radio guy like me said this would be the next brick in the wall on Simulcast p25.. and then the cabal brick my radio

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So Art, would you consider returning the radio to Universal for a refund? I remember seeing a post from Uniden representative that said even though updates are not refundable, in the case of a returned unit for a defect they would refund the money for an update.

That was for one of the other defects I can't remember if it was the keyboard or the noise so I want to be careful not to misquote.

I do know for a fact you can't transfer updates from one radio to the other.

I definitely wouldn't want to send a brand new unit to Uniden for them to wrench on.

If you can get your money back for the radio and the update and not have to pay a restocking fee because I certainly would hope they wouldn't sell it to anybody else then you'll be able to step back and wait to see what happens in the future in regards to Uniden intervention to all of the issues like so many of us are doing.

I love my SDS 100 and would very much like to have an SDS 200... I have the money ready but I just can't pull the trigger yet with all of these issues popping up... I was just wondering if you were willing to get a refund and step away from it for a while to see what happens. I think that's what I would do but it's really not any of my business. Just thinking out loud. Sorry you're having this issue.

caldwest

I have been posting my experience with the screen flicker problem in the Introducing the SDS200 thread in the Uniden Prospective Owners forum.

I am replying to this thread because it is specific to the problem.

In summary, I have been having the flicker problem (a line below the SYSTEM DEPT CHANNEL text on the screen of my SDS200) for a while. Reducing the dimmer settings seemed to work, but yesterday the problem returned and dimmer setting as low as 10% made no difference.

This morning, I turned on the unit (it was off overnight) and was surprised to see that there was no flickering line on the screen. This, however, was short-lived, as the flickering returned about 15 minutes after the unit was on. I wonder now if this is a problem caused by the unit heating up.

ArtU

Hi Caldwest, it seemed that way with my unit for a while, but now you cannot even read the bootup messages if you didn't already know what they are saying. So mine causes issues "now" instant on.

Today I am contemplating asking for a refund as Trentbob suggested "IF" uniden will also refund my DMR upgrade. First I will ask Uniden and see.

caldwest

Hi Caldwest, it seemed that way with my unit for a while, but now you cannot even read the bootup messages if you didn't already know what they are saying. So mine causes issues "now" instant on.

Today I am contemplating asking for a refund as Trentbob suggested "IF" uniden will also refund my DMR upgrade. First I will ask Uniden and see.

Until yesterday, I wasn't very concerned with the flicker problem as reducing the dimmer settings was working. Now that the flicker seems permanent, I am wondering what else will go wrong.

ipfd320

Banned
and what will you do when the next scanner has the same issues ???

im still scratching my head on why you all knowingly have these issues and still go ahead and exchange these defective 700 dollar u nits for more aggrivation

uniden reps said fix being orginized but when is that?? on top of it all your the one who has to fix it--why !!!--oh thats rite you cant live without a radio for a few weeks

everyone was in a real big rush again to get these things in their hands without really knowing what the tests were all about--i said this time and time again reading pages upon pages of complaints-- the beta testers are fanboy based and nothing you say will change there minds---the real beta testers should have been the Factory--not a bunch of people who kiss the Rear ends the company

there is a major problem out there folks and uniden aint standing up to there end of the deal to quickly make things better

it must be nice to be rich and not worry or speak up loudly to the corperation

mule1075

Feed Provider

im still scratching my head on why you all knowingly have these issues and still go ahead and exchange these defective 700 dollar u nits for more aggrivation

uniden reps said fix being orginized but when is that?? on top of it all your the one who has to fix it--why !!!--oh thats rite you cant live without a radio for a few weeks

everyone was in a real big rush again to get these things in their hands without really knowing what the tests were all about--i said this time and time again reading pages upon pages of complaints-- the beta testers are fanboy based and nothing you say will change there minds---the real beta testers should have been the Factory--not a bunch of people who kiss the Rear ends the company

there is a major problem out there folks and uniden aint standing up to there end of the deal to quickly make things better

What crystal ball do have to know who the beta testers are? sure a few are on the forums but not all. Also since the factory is overseas beta testing there would be ridiculous and on top of that telling adults how to spend money is quite comical.

Meskoman

If the next one same thing happens so be it. Then probably send it in to Uniden for repair. I bought the 536 when first released and did have the clock issue still haven't sent it in for repair yet because it's on 24/7 but when I get my SDS200 back will send it in then before they discontinue the free repair. In 1970 I lived across the street from an electronic genius that got me into this hobby and set me up with my first CB at the age 13 years old. He taught me that with electronics you need patience's and its always a great feeling when you find a solution to a problem. Being on this site for years and reading posts being made when something goes wrong I wonder why some are in this hobby. Lastly if the problem is because the scanner costs 700.00 seriously I don't think they should of or be buying one in the first place.

Bob1955

seeing this i wont be getting one, i will go with the 996p2 radio
Smart move, riccom. Uniden America RUSHED this one through too. The Bearcat BCD-996P2 is a great digital scanner and NEVER has had any software issues. I do NOT care for SIM cards and or zip code programing. Nothing but problems. Only benefit from the BCD-536HP is a recording feature and full alpha screen, nothing more, nothing less!

mancow

Database Admin
Smart move, riccom. Uniden America RUSHED this one through too. The Bearcat BCD-996P2 is a great digital scanner and NEVER has had any software issues. I do NOT care for SIM cards and or zip code programing. Nothing but problems. Only benefit from the BCD-536HP is a recording feature and full alpha screen, nothing more, nothing less!

Apparently you don't listen to simulcast systems. For me there is no option but the SDS series. Nothing else will work.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
Apparently you don't listen to simulcast systems. For me there is no option but the SDS series. Nothing else will work.
Bob there is a simple answer, move the scanner, or try home made antennas, I live in a simulcast area, and I had to use (brace for it) a cheap Chinese tv antenna and it works. It has direction, and it's enough to ingore the other towers. And I am in a bcd996t radio.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

mancow

Database Admin
Bob there is a simple answer, move the scanner, or try home made antennas, I live in a simulcast area, and I had to use (brace for it) a cheap Chinese tv antenna and it works. It has direction, and it's enough to ingore the other towers. And I am in a bcd996t radio.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work here. The sites are all far enough away all in the same direction that no antenna however directional can discern one from another. Only the SDS series or a commercial radio will work.

ArtU

So even a paper clip would not work?

No, not at my site, between 3 towers, yagis , paper clips all the FOO that is said to use.. Whislters were better than the previous Unidens , but the SDS200 was the best at my site for P25 Simulcast putting a brick into that wall they put up with that simulcast system. I know folks that have commercial radios tuned to it that are 100% but I can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.