Unication G5 in Sacramento?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I've got a TRX-1 and listening to P25 here is full of snaps, crackles and pops. I've tried antennas, cables, filters, attenuation and all the settings and everything else to quiet it down, they come in strong but the signals fluctuate, never less than 3 bars but never a steady 5, just plain noisy. Has anyone used the G5 here and can you tell me if you experience the same problem? It would be nice to listen to calls without all the popcorn, frying bacon and crunching gravel. All I want it for is Sheriff, Fire and Police.

Last edited:

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
I’m located in Sacramento and my G5 works very well. If you can’t solve the problems with your existing equipment then a G5 is probably the solution.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what's up with it, I guess I'm going to try a G5, I can always sell it if it doesn't work. Tire of buying antennas, putting them up, taking them down and being disappointed, I probably could've paid for a G5 by now. Thanks.

crucialcolin

Funny that sounds a lot like the issues I have been experiencing with the SRRCS traditional SmartZone system in Roseville. Are you sure you're not monitoring that analog traffic instead of P25?

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's the Smartzone I'm using because the P25 is even worse.

crucialcolin

I had thought about posting this separately at one point but this what the Smartzone system sounds like on my Uniden in Roseville.

Control Channel:

Voice Transmissions:

Does that sound familiar?

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
There’s definitely something wrong with your reception whether it’s the scanner or nearby interference.

For the analog system I use an XTS5000 and the voice is completely clean. The same with my G5 for the new P25 system. I also checked the control channels for both systems with my SDR and no issues whatsoever.

Do you have the same problem everywhere throughout the Sacramento area?

sacscan

That sounds like what SRRCS analog Site 2 sounds like at a friend's house. It gets worse if a certain desktop computer is on (other computers at his house don't cause interference).

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Yep, that's exactly what it sounds like, all the time, no matter where I am.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
I hate to point a finger at your hardware but I don’t experience any problems with the analog system throughout the entire Sacramento area. Again, I’m using a Motorola radio and not what you are using. Of course this discussion now has nothing to do with a G5 since a G5 doesn’t trunk a Type II analog system.

kma371

QRT
Sounds like normal simulcast scanning to me. I don't think you are experiencing anything abnormal.

Status
Not open for further replies.