New CSERN Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner1

I couldn't find a thead regarding new confirmed talkgoups showing up, so I figured I would start one.

I see a ton of TGs popping up on the 700, I'm only using ID search on my 536hp so my info is limited.

Is anyone piecing together what TG is assigned to who??

Does anyone have an idea on what the channel assignments are, like on the old system, Ch 37 was E disp.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden TGIDs from the old system divided by 16 = the P25 TGIDs
Troop A=48 (Uniden) is 48 divided by 16 = 3 so the P25 TGID for Troop A is 3
There are some new ones but many of the existing ones are the same

chris

tpp517

Premium Subscriber
I’m on the coast in Waterford and was curious about additional sites as I can only receive the Haddam site.

cg

Premium Subscriber
You should get P25 Cell 5 (Troop E) & Cell 6 (Troop F) both broadcasting from the same tower on Stones Ranch. Try 774.05625 for a P25 control channel.

chris

tpp517

Premium Subscriber
Did a little looking around and came up with 773.93125, working well in Waterford, thanks.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
My HPII does not seem to pick up much of the CSERN frequencies, despite the database being the most recent (well, as of January 21st anyway).

My BCD325P2 does pick up a couple more than the HPII. But I suspect there are more than I am hearing.

Assuming an update to the 325P2 will be soon needed (last one was almost 2 years ago I believe, so long overdue ...)

cg

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry I gave you the Troop C freq. At least you got the correct one.

If you rely on the RR database, you will only get what is there. Your best bet is to create your own Favorite list with all the sites and TGIDs you can find. I even enter the encrypted ones so that they can be locked out and that way they are ignored while in SEARCH mode.

chris

matt04

Premium Subscriber
I mostly hear limited CSP traffic and lots of CTTransit on the P25 system as of now. I have heard ConnDOT as well. I know several local PDs will be moving to the new system in the future.

In my area the 700 system does not have nearly the same coverage as local or even the CSP Moto system. I can get get 3-5 bars of signal inside with the stock antenna on my 436HP from the local or Moto systems consistenitly, but even with a outsie antenna I only get 1-2 at best from the 700 system. I don't see many depts moving over if they have newer systems unless coverage is improved.

mkt853

I mostly hear limited CSP traffic and lots of CTTransit on the P25 system as of now. I have heard ConnDOT as well. I know several local PDs will be moving to the new system in the future.

In my area the 700 system does not have nearly the same coverage as local or even the CSP Moto system. I can get get 3-5 bars of signal inside with the stock antenna on my 436HP from the local or Moto systems consistenitly, but even with a outsie antenna I only get 1-2 at best from the 700 system. I don't see many depts moving over if they have newer systems unless coverage is improved.
Half of the towns in the state use CSP for law enforcement in some way - either by way of CSP being the only police or a small local department managed by a resident trooper. I imagine any of the towns that use the 800 MHz system now will be forced to move over, and smaller towns that have their own full fledged police department may look to join it rather than build out their own system when it comes time to replace what they have now. There's already a couple of towns doing this. The bigger towns and cities are unlikely to ever join, as they have the ability to afford and retain control over their own systems. My biggest fear is that as soon as CSERN is fully up and running across the state, the public safety talk groups will be encrypted with everything else in the clear. Seems to be the way these large systems with thousands of subscriber radios issued for every agency under the sun go. You can hear the dog catcher, public works, and buses all day long, but police/fire/EMS go dark.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Theres no guarantee it will go that way. Its possible, but so is the reverse.

WoodburyMan

I can pickup CSERN Wolcott and Plymouth sites from Woodbury, 500ft or so up with clear east view. I just set up ProScan so I can monitor and record to look for new TG's as well...

I highly doubt the state system will go encrypted. This state has many other problems, but they're pretty cut and dry on public safety being in the clear. If they don't encrypt their TAC channels on their Moto system now, they won't enable encryption. The only towns near me that are encrypted are Bristol and Newtown, and those where knee jerk reactions to some individuals abusing scanners. And they're still in clear violation of public information and safety availability laws. It would just take someone who had big enough pockets and determination to go after them in court. My guess is the state would also discourage encryption as well for fear of facing lawsuits and wrath of people after. I'm in favor of one or two channels, say Tac channels, being encrypted but they should be broadcast in clear in general.

WoodburyMan

...My main point is that Fire/EMS *cannot* be encrypted for inter op purposes.

We ran into this in Woodbury. It wasn't encryption.. but for interop. Same principal. Southbury, Bethlehem, Washington, Middlebury departments are all still conventional with Tone, or DCS tone. They have Woodbury's conventional on their radios, and when providing mutual aid will switch and talk/route on Woodbury's frequencies when needed. This is done simply because most of the new radios cannot do/use the OLLLLD interop frequencies in 33mhz and 46mhz range and it would require a entirely different antenna setup and such. Not practical.

Woodbury went P25. Oddly, not a full trunked system, which would have allowed for extra TG's/NAC's. They have 3 repeater sites, linked, with 3 sets of repeaters for different frequencies at each site in VHF band 155mhz range. Each repeater/frequency is for a service. They were intended for Town Services, Fire, Police. The town and NorCom made a big whoopsie in planning, they forgot the like.. 50+ one way receive only pagers for the VFD members (A $40k+ expense...), and Fire Interop capabilities for other towns. Other towns are all analog and would NOT have been able to hear, let alone transmit, to Woodbury frequencies, would would have caused a whole extra issue/need. So instead, to save money and keep things simple, they repurposed and took the Police's repeater, shoved it on the old Fire Conventional frequency/tone, simulcast the P25 frequency to it, and called it a day. Police still have P25 radios, but they operate in Simplex only. The cops in town hate them because they're out of range a lot of times. Luckily, because we have the State Trooper program, they all have CSP Troop L radios in their car already since they're dispatched off Troop L dispatch, and simply use Troop L Car to Car to talk to each other instead. They just use the P25 town radios mostly to listen/broadcast on Town and Fire frequencies for assistance.

So once they start introducing encryption... they will run into interop problems with smaller towns. In theory if both towns are on CSERN, sure they can talk to each other, but there's slim chance of every town being on it. It would be real nice if they started working on some regional Interop frequencies to replace the old 33mhz and 46mhz bands that are still technically in use, but most towns cannot use for the most part due to being on different bands as most towns are on 155mhz, 450mhz, 700mhz or 800mhz systems now.

matt04

Premium Subscriber
Half of the towns in the state use CSP for law enforcement in some way - either by way of CSP being the only police or a small local department managed by a resident trooper. I imagine any of the towns that use the 800 MHz system now will be forced to move over, and smaller towns that have their own full fledged police department may look to join it rather than build out their own system when it comes time to replace what they have now. There's already a couple of towns doing this. The bigger towns and cities are unlikely to ever join, as they have the ability to afford and retain control over their own systems. My biggest fear is that as soon as CSERN is fully up and running across the state, the public safety talk groups will be encrypted with everything else in the clear. Seems to be the way these large systems with thousands of subscriber radios issued for every agency under the sun go. You can hear the dog catcher, public works, and buses all day long, but police/fire/EMS go dark.
I've driven around in North Central CT with my scanner and watched the signal on the P25 system, even in I91 signal strength was half of what I received on the Moto system, sometimes even lost the P25 system while I had 3-4 bars on the Moto system. IIRC it was Norwich, Stonington and Groton that are moving to the new system. In a article I read at least one of the above towns agreed to join after the state agreed to add equipment to the Towns towers to improve coverage.

Edit: Norwich to join Stonington, Groton Town police in state radio system partnership

mkt853

I can pickup CSERN Wolcott and Plymouth sites from Woodbury, 500ft or so up with clear east view. I just set up ProScan so I can monitor and record to look for new TG's as well...

I highly doubt the state system will go encrypted. This state has many other problems, but they're pretty cut and dry on public safety being in the clear. If they don't encrypt their TAC channels on their Moto system now, they won't enable encryption. The only towns near me that are encrypted are Bristol and Newtown, and those where knee jerk reactions to some individuals abusing scanners. And they're still in clear violation of public information and safety availability laws. It would just take someone who had big enough pockets and determination to go after them in court. My guess is the state would also discourage encryption as well for fear of facing lawsuits and wrath of people after. I'm in favor of one or two channels, say Tac channels, being encrypted but they should be broadcast in clear in general.
We have no right to listen to public safety communications, at least not in real time. It's why Greenwich is full time encrypted on everything except for the FD. Several PDs are encrypted in the southwestern part of the state. EMS will be next to go as they cite HIPAA for the need for privacy. It's almost becoming standard as systems are replaced/upgraded that you will never hear law enforcement ever again - Greenwich, Stamford, Wilton, Trumbull, and on and on. I can listen to NYPD all day long, but nope, little Wilton town of 10,000 needs full time encryption for their four police officers LOL. But, there's no public information violation because you can still obtain an edited copy of the encrypted radio communication with anything sensitive usually edited out for the low low price of $25 per radio channel/talkgroup per day. Plus you can go down to your local PD and get a copy of their calls for service usually at low or no cost. In my mind if it's public it should all be on the internet for free and accessible any time by any one, our tax dollars pay for it after all, but the reality is they don't really want you to have access. They only begrudgingly provide it because of FOIA laws, so they drag their feet on requests or make it cost prohibitive to do regularly. The smaller towns where it sounds like you live have it much easier. Police are on the state system and fire/EMS are on regional conventional VHF systems.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber

At some point, all of the 800 frequencies will be folded into the 700 pool, I believe. So the sites that are using 800 will be part of the new system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.