• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Socal GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hype6477

Hello,

Just got my license a few days ago and I can't find active repeaters in use on Mygmrs. The one repeater that's near me I do not know how to get on it 462.725.

Station51

The only one I see it is Montecito Heights and its private (Members only )
You don't say exactly where you are but I'd look for one on Santiago Peak or Mt Wilson that is OPEN (not private)
or honestly....get a HAM license. It's not that hard and you can talk all over the world on a hand held radio.
462.725 would have an input of 467.725 and you would need the correct PL or DPL to access the repeater
The one that is published requires that you "log in" on MyGMRS to access the member info. It's a "preper" type machine from what I read

Hype6477

Sorry I am in the San Fernando Valley but travel all over socal for work. I am studying to get my ham license hopefully in a month or two I will get it.

Station51

You may be able to access the CREST Communications repeater (GMRS)
462.67500 467.67500 KAC1046 RM 141.3 PL CREST CREST Communications FM Emergency Ops
A suggestion, its always a good idea to listen to a channel for awhile and get a feel for the activity and the users before jumping in with both feet.

If you want to LISTEN to a ham freq to see if its of interest you might try 445.140 Mt Wilson DO NOT TRANSMIT
Another one would be 448.060 Santiago Peak You should be able to hear either or both. There are informative NETS on each at various times.
448.060 is part of the WIN System and 445.140 is part of the PAPA system Both are WORLDWIDE, but both REQUIRE A AMATUER RADIO LICENSE TO TRANSMIT, so just listen.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Hello,

Just got my license a few days ago and I can't find active repeaters in use on Mygmrs. The one repeater that's near me I do not know how to get on it 462.725.

The PL for that repeater is 100, and they play rough. If you are offended by language and a general junior high atmosphere from men in their 50's, you might want to stick with the "normal" repeaters.

There is a very good repeater at 625 PL 151.4 on Mt. Wilson, the owner is generally around on the weekends in the afternoon/evenings to grant permission. They also are not a "family" repeater.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I am in the San Fernando Valley but travel all over socal for work. I am studying to get my ham license hopefully in a month or two I will get it.

Instead of repeaters, you would have much better luck tuning to Channel 1 while you are driving. You'll hear a lot of convoys, and people in cities while you pass through. But keep in mind, that the GMRS band has become like the CB of old. You'll hear kids playing, constant ridiculous roger beeps, people trying to step on each other with their 5w handheld radios, etc. It's a mess.

Ham radio is the way to go. There are a lot of wide coverage repeaters and systems in Socal. Once you experience them, you'll never look back. GMRS is a complete wasteland.

Hype6477

The PL for that repeater is 100, and they play rough. If you are offended by language and a general junior high atmosphere from men in their 50's, you might want to stick with the "normal" repeaters.

There is a very good repeater at 625 PL 151.4 on Mt. Wilson, the owner is generally around on the weekends in the afternoon/evenings to grant permission. They also are not a "family" repeater.

Thank you for the information, I think I sent a permission request for the 625 repeater.

One more question I have a baofeng uv-5r is there any other settings I need to change so I can receive and transmit on the repeaters ?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Thank you for the information, I think I sent a permission request for the 625 repeater.

One more question I have a baofeng uv-5r is there any other settings I need to change so I can receive and transmit on the repeaters ?

I would make sure your radio is set for wide deviation so it doesn't sound like you are using a tin can to talk with, and would strongly suggest turning off any noisemakers, roger beeps, DTMF, etc.

Hype6477

Thats great get your Tech ham Lic you will have a lot of fun with that class Lic level......

Thank you hopefully I will get it soon.

I would make sure your radio is set for wide deviation so it doesn't sound like you are using a tin can to talk with, and would strongly suggest turning off any noisemakers, roger beeps, DTMF, etc.

Thank you I will try it out later today!

Station51

There are some videos on YouTube I believe about setting up for TX on a repeater with your UV 5R,
You need to set the "offset" (on UHF it will be +5.00) and also the CTCSS or DPL code on the TX side.
All of these are within the menus of your Baofeng radio.

Hype6477

There are some videos on YouTube I believe about setting up for TX on a repeater with your UV 5R,
You need to set the "offset" (on UHF it will be +5.00) and also the CTCSS or DPL code on the TX side.
yea I was watching those but I am having a slow moment

Hype6477

Thats great get your Tech ham Lic you will have a lot of fun with that class Lic level......

Thank you!

So if I transmit on 467.725 and the output is 462.725 the offset should be -5.00 right?

On radio A I transmitted on 467.725 which I heard on 462.725 with radio B. On radio A I can not hear any output any idea why?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

Keep in mind that the UV-5R is not type accepted for GMRS. Truthfully, nobody is going to care, but just something to remember.

So if I transmit on 467.725 and the output is 462.725 the offset should be -5.00 right?

On radio A I transmitted on 467.725 which I heard on 462.725 with radio B. On radio A I can not hear any output any idea why?

The repeater outputs are on 462.XXX so your input frequency would be +5 MHz. So for 462.725, you would transmit on 467.725. When using two radios, you would use the same frequency for receive and transmit. You aren't going to want to use different TX and RX frequencies.

Station51

Thank you!

Your RX FREQ of 462.725 (the output) requires an offset of + 5.00 Mhz to access the repeater along with the proper tone (CTCSS or DPL)

When you transmit you will be transmitting on 467.725 and when you unkey it should revert to 462.725 thereby hearing the repeater
If radio B isn't receiving you might check to verify that the Receive tone is correct.
It's usually best to leave the receive tone open to insure that the frequency isn't in use. (Just my opinion)
Some repeaters don't transmit a output tone (open tone)
If the green receive light lights up on radio B but you hear no audio that would be an indication that the receive tone is set incorrectly.

If you want to talk radio to radio (simplex) without accessing a repeater your offset would be 0.000 Mhz (Also called talkaround)

"On radio A I transmitted on 467.725 which I heard on 462.725 with radio B. On radio A I can not hear any output any idea why?"
You may have it backwards. You would be hearing it on radio B if you put in the offset at -5.00 as you said.
To access the repeater you need to be + 5.00 (on UHF) and be sending the correct tone.
When you unkey you will hear the repeater respond if your radio is set up correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.