No issue with hum explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peerlessk

For those of us the don’t have the “noise” maybe an explanation as to why we don’t? How are some having a ground issue and others not ? Basically with a new part and fix on its way . Should those of us not having and issue now install the new part for future stability/proper operation .

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Or Uniden could just do a recall and install the fix on all SDS 200's regardless of if the issue is currently present or not.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Or Uniden could just do a recall and install the fix on all SDS 200's regardless of if the issue is currently present or not.
Yup, a repair campaign for those who want it, and then the Uniden DIY solution for those who don't want to ship their scanner (count me in that group).

WeBeCinYa

And then there would be those who say the fix didn't work for them. That's why a Uniden repair would be better. Hard to tell what issues would arise from opening the case.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

100% agree. Expecting some to open up and do this is nuts. Own it. Send label. Let liability be on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
We will do the procedure for free, but no free shipping. For most people, this is an easy procedure. If it were complicated, the answer would be different.
What about the warranty, will it still be valid after opening the case?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
In addition to being more expensive, a recall would entail users making more of an effort. Personally, I'd rather that they sent me the (simple to install) part and let me "fix" it at home.

I've asked essentially the same question at Peerlessk on the separate thread started by UPMan regarding the fix. Should owners not affected by the hum do the update anyway?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
In addition to being more expensive, a recall would entail users making more of an effort. Personally, I'd rather that they sent me the (simple to install) part and let me "fix" it at home.

I've asked essentially the same question at Peerlessk on the separate thread started by UPMan regarding the fix. Should owners not affected by the hum do the update anyway?

Might be a good idea for those of us not affected to buy it and keep it on hand just in case the condition occurs on down the road after prolonged use. That's what I am going to do.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

I can't imagine why you'd want to.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Might be a good idea for those of us not affected to buy it and keep it on hand just in case the condition occurs on down the road after prolonged use. That's what I am going to do.

It would be a great idea to not order the part in the first week or two if you don't hear the hum (or if you opted to do the interim foil mod) and allow those who do hear it first access. Our first batch of parts will be limited. Wouldn't be fair to use up the parts on people who don't even need it.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine why you'd want to.
Agreed. I have zero desire to crack the case and "work on" a brand new $700 scanner just to do it. The noise on my unit is tolerable for me, so there's zero chance I'm taking it apart. I also agree that for those who simply must do it just to have the part in there, it would be proper to wait for the people who really need the part to get theirs first, just as a courtesy.

D

DaveNF2G

Some of us don't have the problem because our scanners are at the tighter end of the tolerance range for assembly.

Also, my scanners are separated by and sitting on shock absorbing pads, so vibration effects are suppressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.