Sentinal doesn't include Deprecated Talkgroups :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

a242789

I just realized that Sentinal doesn't include deprecated Talkgroups :( - I was doing a Discovery of one my popular Systems. I had some activity on a deprecated Talkgroup - I was a little suprised - I had to find it on RadioReference - then added manually to Sentinal - Am I missing something or is there an easier way to find and enter?

One improvement I would like to see in Sentinal is the ability to search the database and/or our favorite lists.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just realized that Sentinal doesn't include deprecated Talkgroups :( - I was doing a Discovery of one my popular Systems. I had some activity on a deprecated Talkgroup - I was a little suprised - I had to find it on RadioReference - then added manually to Sentinal - Am I missing something or is there an easier way to find and enter?

One improvement I would like to see in Sentinal is the ability to search the database and/or our favorite lists.
If you are seeing activity on a "depreciated" talkgroup, then it was labeled as depreciated in error. Submit an update to the database to have it shown as active again.

Uniden has stated in the past that the database, whether for the original Home Patrol series, HP-1 & HP-2, and for the later x36HP & SDS series, is tailored so that systems in it are scannable. So, systems that are in the database, but have no identified talkgroups, are not listed, as someone trying to monitor it would not hear anything. The same with depreciated systems or talkgroups, Since, if the depreciated tag is correct, there would be nothing to hear, they are not included.

a242789

Probably had some unwanted help from Spell Checker :)

Be that as it may - I will find away to add the deprecated channels and see what others I may find - giggles and grins.

Thanks all.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The word the OP used is correct ... deprecated, not depreciated.
While the term used in the database is Deprecated, that is not a correct use for the term.
Definition of Deprecated:
verb
past tense: deprecated; past participle: deprecated

express disapproval of.
"what I deprecate is persistent indulgence"
synonyms: disapprove of, deplore, abhor, find unacceptable, be against, frown on, take a dim view of, look askance at, take exception to, detest, despise, execrate

Be that as it may, the definition of depreciated is more in line with how the listing is viewed. What the listing is trying to note is that this talkgroup, or frequency, has been reported as no longer in use. That is the point of my comment above, rather than lapse into a spelling contest.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
You're incorrect.

Deprecation - Wikipedia

In several fields, deprecation is the discouragement of use of some terminology, feature, design, or practice, typically because it has been superseded or is no longer considered efficient or safe, without completely removing it or prohibiting its use. It can also imply that a feature, design, or practice will be removed or discontinued entirely in the future.

While the term used in the database is Deprecated, that is not a correct use for the term.
verb

express disapproval of.
synonyms: disapprove of, deplore, abhor, find unacceptable, be against, frown on, take a dim view of, look askance at, take exception to, detest, despise, execrate

Be that as it may, the definition of depreciated is more in line with how the listing is viewed. What the listing is trying to note is that this talkgroup, or frequency, has been reported as no longer in use. That is the point of my comment above, rather than lapse into a spelling contest.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
verb

express disapproval of.

That is correct when applied to non-tech usage, but when applied to the tech field:

Deprecated Definition

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of the correct spelling for talkgroups described, you can not add to the database in sentinel or the scanner. Only way is to submit a correction so sentinel will include it. And or create a favorite list and manually add it...

D

DaveNF2G

While the technical definition of deprecated as cited above and as used in RRDB is correct, I had to chuckle when someone proposed Wikipedia as a superior source to a dictionary.

In any event, whoever pointed out that a "deprecated" talkgroup with current activity needs to be corrected is absolutely right.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
It's actually not uncommon to see deprecated frequencies still in use. I've spoken with quite a few people who report police agencies in their area are using the "deprecated" analog frequencies for unofficial chatter, after certain hours, or simply because they were encouraged by the state or county to use a larger system and they want to keep it old school (which is what one officer told me).

Luckily radio reference keeps the frequencies up so they are easy to find. It might be worth trying out some of the frequencies despite the tag and maybe get some of it changed on radio reference.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
It's actually not uncommon to see deprecated frequencies still in use. I've spoken with quite a few people who report police agencies in their area are using the "deprecated" analog frequencies for unofficial chatter, after certain hours, or simply because they were encouraged by the state or county to use a larger system and they want to keep it old school (which is what one officer told me).

Luckily radio reference keeps the frequencies up so they are easy to find. It might be worth trying out some of the frequencies despite the tag and maybe get some of it changed on radio reference.

Again, reports like this need to be submitted to the database. There are times when items get marked as deprecated but they are actually still active. Garbage in, garbage out. The database is only as useful as the information that is submitted. I only mark items deprecated if I have firsthand knowledge or intel from a reliable source that the legacy equipment has been pulled. Also, other admins many be more aggressive in applying the tag, especially since it is impossible for the admins to know all the local happenings across the country on our own. There are a lot of people involved in managing the database and things do happen....

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Again, reports like this need to be submitted to the database. There are times when items get marked as deprecated but they are actually still active. Garbage in, garbage out. The database is only as useful as the information that is submitted. I only mark items deprecated if I have firsthand knowledge or intel from a reliable source that the legacy equipment has been pulled. Also, other admins many be more aggressive in applying the tag, especially since it is impossible for the admins to know all the local happenings across the country on our own. There are a lot of people involved in managing the database and things do happen....

Don't get me wrong, you guys have the best radio frequency database and it's a nearly insurmountable task to upkeep, and you do manage it very well.

I was simply corroborating that I've had people report to me about deprecated frequencies having traffic in the hopes of conscripting some of the more curious and diligent among us to take a look and report findings.

a242789

I have loaded all of these from Jefferson County, Tx. The only one that has traffic and a lot of it is the first one.
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.54.51 AM.png

There are a few other ones from this site that I will load up too just in case. I have been using ProScan to log all the hits overnight(and recording audio too).

Status
Not open for further replies.