SDS100 vs SDS200 FM Broadcast Performance Different, Why? Anyone Else Notice The Same Situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

I believe my SDS100 is a fairly early run unit, I will need to check the serial number.

With earlier firmware versions FMB was really bad. On some stations, signal was not bad but about every 10 seconds or so the signal dropped out like the radio was on a Priority for another frequency. As time went on with firmware updates the dropouts seemed to be sorted out, but many of the higher frequency stations above 104 MHz sound raspy and distorted.

My analog services also sound rather full of static as well. Need to really sit down and compare to the SDS200 on the same antenna feed.

Wondering if there was a later build on the radio that has improved performance for analog and FMB?

teknishun

Here are two audio samples for reference (renamed the extension to .txt to attach, rename to .wav to listen), these are pretty indicative of the type of signals I receive on most stations. I am noticing a few stations still have the dropout issue even with clean full signal and some seem to get minor popcorn crackle when the music hits certain frequencies but overall a good experience. I hope they're able to improve even more with the next firmware. I hope you get your issues resolved as well!

I have played the two sound bites (WAV) you sent in the message above and they both sound great on my pc speakers.
BUT -- the scanner was not intended to provide full fidelity music. Neither the SDS100 nor SDS200 speakers are designed for
that. That does NOT mean there is a defect in the scanner! I will check my SDS100 again for the latest firmware, but I am pretty
sure I am current. Thanks for the sound bites.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Are the SDS 100 others are using here from the original release around June last year? My original unit exhibited all these issues on broadcast FM + the horrible analog performance. However, my refurbished replacement received in late September/early October exhibits none of these issues. I just listened to 2 songs each on a different FM station and had no dropouts/static/crackle. I can't do a video of FM broadcast at the moment, but will get one and post when I get to work.

I see where Upman says the hardware changes can't be retroactively applied to the SDS 100. I do wonder in that case, what changes were made between my original scanner and the refurbished replacement I recieved. There is an absolute night/day difference between the two units.
The more I read the more I'm interested in picking up one of the SDS100s from a recent production run. I returned my first SDS100 but am curious about one of the "new" production models.

synthetik

FWIW mine was a newer one that came with the larger battery purchased off Amazon. Ironically on FM broadcast it does seem to be fairly sensitive to multipath distortion but a few inches left/right and it finds a sweet spot at -30dBm. Other than the dropouts on some stations this exceeds my expectation's for FM Broadcast (again admittedly an edge case and maybe <2% of what I'm listening to but nice to have a tool as versatile as possible). I've found setting the modulation to FMB rather than Auto fixes most of the dropouts. If they could fix the dropout issue 100% I would be stoked :cool:

BTW, is there an SDS100 Wishlist thread anywhere for feature suggestions? I searched but didn't find anything. I have some really small things like reordering menu items and some moonshot crazy suggestions. Would be cool to see what others are hoping for in future firmware releases.

synthetik

I have played the two sound bites (WAV) you sent in the message above and they both sound great on my pc speakers.
BUT -- the scanner was not intended to provide full fidelity music. Neither the SDS100 nor SDS200 speakers are designed for
that. That does NOT mean there is a defect in the scanner! I will check my SDS100 again for the latest firmware, but I am pretty
sure I am current. Thanks for the sound bites.

I was providing these to the OP as examples that my audio is fantastic even on the built-in speaker. See my post before that one, couldn't agree more.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone cracked open an SDS200? I am fairly certain the boards aren't going to be the same, IE, the compact boards in the '100 mashed inside, v/s the wide open space difference in the '200. Would be interesting to see the difference of the 'innards in the two.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Has anyone cracked open an SDS200? I am fairly certain the boards aren't going to be the same, IE, the compact boards in the '100 mashed inside, v/s the wide open space difference in the '200. Would be interesting to see the difference of the 'innards in the two.
If you want to void your warranty go right ahead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Every time I hear something about the SDS radios I always have to check mine to see if it's affected, and so far, knock on wood, my early adopter SDS100 has none of the issues reported. I tested my 100 against my 200 on the desk with Remtronix antennas on both. SDS200 rec'd some distant FM stations more than the 100, but the 100 picked up all my local FM broadcast stations loud and clear. Broadcast radio is important to me especially if something major happens and you need information. I want a one-stop-shop-does-it-all in my hand if I have to evacuate for any reason. I've always been one to ride the storm out until my last hurricane. That did it for me. When I run for the hills I want to grab a radio that I know will do it all on the receive end, and another to do it all on the transmit end. So I would grab the SDS100 and my Yaesu FT-2DR 2m wideband receiver/transceiver. All I would need.

JD
kf4anc

RRR

Premium Subscriber
If you want to void your warranty go right ahead.

ha, that's why I asked if anyone else had. Regardless, as we now see from the Uniden video, they have quite different "innards" (Since you obviously can't fit all that from a '200 inside a '100) I'm pretty sure it's not space wasted. I have typically found base/mobile scanners to be of somewhat higher-end quality in some ways.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I tried a search of the FM band 88 to 108 and my SDS 100 found stations I didn't even know about. It wasn't HiFi but this is a scanner not a stereo. So my SDS 100 must be a good one.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I am a amateur when it comes to scanning so please grant me a reprieve

What is the difference between FM and NFM

Which is better on a 800mhz P25?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I am a amateur when it comes to scanning so please grant me a reprieve

What is the difference between FM and NFM

Which is better on a 800mhz P25?
800 MHz p25 will be NFM

Narrow FM as opposed to WFM or Wide FM

FM is what a radio station uses most digital formats use narrow bandwidth.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
FM radio stations use FMB (Broadcast) which is much, much wider than FM or NFM.

teknishun

I read your post and I set both my SDS100 and SDS200 up exactly the same way using FM Broadcast band
and the exact same favorites list. The system type = conventional, modulation = FMB and audio option = search.

My results match yours exactly. The SDS100 has dropouts on FM even with an outside antenna connected.
I live in a strong signal area so to compare the SDS100 to the SDS200 I used the stock rubber duck antenna
on the SDS100 and the stock metal telescoping antenna for the SDS200. No outside antennas were used.

The SDS200 for the most part sounds pleasant and clear. The SDS100 is awful - there is a lot of crackling
or whooshing noise in the reception. Some stations are slightly garbled. There are dropouts in the SDS100
and if I move the unit around in the room it will drop some stations altogether.

When it comes to commercial FM broadcasts the SDS200 performs circles around the SDS100.

UPDATE: 03-08-2019 With the new firmware for the SDS100/200 Main 1.08.05 and Sub 1.02.01 my
SDS100 performs beautifully now on FM Broadcasts (FMB). The difference is like night and day.
I am using the new "Wide Normal" filter rather than the default "Normal" filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.