• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4/G5 Firmware 1.2 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I was able to connect my motorola BT RSM to the G5.. it works but not.. DOES pass audio and connects to the pager but.. when a transmission comes it the RSM says CONNECTED then plays the audio. Once the transmission stops it says DISCONNECTED and does this each time anyone talks.. its as if the BT is connecting when it hears something then shuts back off after.

Also have a 3M worktunes headset i tried to connect but no dice on that one sadly

picscan

Premium Subscriber
That's an old bug. It happens (sometimes) after you go out of range then back in. Not sure what it takes to clear it - could try switching to a different knob position and back, or reboot if that doesn't do it...

Tried everything, still flashing out of range with five bars showing, switched back to the previous version, problem gone.

MaXKiLLz

Very surprised beta testers were okay with the repeating audio constantly heard through the bluetooth headset due to voice buffering being forced on. I'm going to have to revert back to firmware 1.1 before it drives me completely insane. (n)

N6ML

Very surprised beta testers were okay with the repeating audio constantly heard through the bluetooth headset due to voice buffering being forced on. I'm going to have to revert back to firmware 1.1 before it drives me completely insane. (n)

I've never heard repeating audio with BlueTooth. I do know that there is some buffering in order to allow the BlueTooth connection to (re)establish when it's been closed (to save battery). Are you hearing the audio through the internal speaker first and then through the BlueTooth device, or ... ??

BTW, beta testers don't have any power to block release of new firmware if we don't like how it works .. or at least I didn't ... :p

MaXKiLLz

I'm using a Jabra 15 bluetooth headset listening to a P25 simulcast. No audio coming out the G5 speaker since I'm connected to a bluetooth headset. Almost every transmission repeats the first two or three words. First at low volume and then at normal volume. "210 I was raising, 210 I was raising you for more info." "North Miami, North Miami to dispatch", "2505 in, 2505 in route", "Receiving a, receiving a request for a school board officer", "North Miami 199, North Miami 199 take a 15 at Biscayne blvd", "Went eastbound, went eastbound on 199 st", Chevy SUV, Chevy SUV hit the ac unit".

That's just an example of what I heard as I typed this reply. I'm not the only one hearing it.

N6ML

I'm using a Jabra 15 bluetooth headset listening to a P25 simulcast. No audio coming out the G5 speaker since I'm connected to a bluetooth headset. Almost every transmission repeats the first two or three words. First at low volume and then at normal volume. "210 I was raising, 210 I was raising you for more info." "North Miami, North Miami to dispatch", "2505 in, 2505 in route", "Receiving a, receiving a request for a school board officer", "North Miami 199, North Miami 199 take a 15 at Biscayne blvd", "Went eastbound, went eastbound on 199 st", Chevy SUV, Chevy SUV hit the ac unit".

That's just an example of what I heard as I typed this reply. I'm not the only one hearing it.

Curious. I don't hear that with any of the devices I've tested, which includes the Docooler B6 2-in-1 adapter, an Altec Lansing speaker, and Brookstone headphones.

MaXKiLLz

Curious. I don't hear that with any of the devices I've tested, which includes the Docooler B6 2-in-1 adapter, an Altec Lansing speaker, and Brookstone headphones.

This happens on both my G4 and G5. Others said they were also hearing the echo earlier in this thread. I'm noticing it more when scanning multiple TGID. Try listening to a scan of multiple TGID?

N6ML

This happens on both my G4 and G5. Others said they were also hearing the echo earlier in this thread. I'm noticing it more when scanning multiple TGID. Try listening to a scan of multiple TGID?

I've tested with Trunking TG-Monitor, with a steady stream of random traffic.

It might be interesting to collect data on which BT devices are exhibiting this. If some are, and others are not, it seems to suggest that the echo is not originating in the G4/G5, but in the receiving device.....

MaXKiLLz

It's not just happening on bluetooth. I'm also hearing the echo, with both the G4 and G5, when using the amplified charger. We just need the ability to disable voice buffering when using bluetooth or amplified charger. The option is greyed out indicating it's forced on.

N6ML

As noted before, buffering is deemed required to give time for the BlueTooth connection to reestablish, or for the audio amp to power on. Otherwise the first word or so of a new message may get cut off. I don't like it, personally, and probably still won't use BlueTooth because of it. I'm just explaining why it needs to be there, as I understand it.

Buffering should not cause an echo, though - just a delay - i.e. you should hear the audio about one second behind "real time". It sounds like you're hearing "real time" *and* the delayed version, which is strange.

MaXKiLLz

I understand voice buffering may be necessary, but it would be nice if we had to option to choose whether or not to use it. Just can't understand why they chose to force it on when using bluetooth or the amplified charger. If it came down to it, I would prefer to have the first bit cut off vs hearing everything repeated. The other thing that confirms it's the voice buffering causing this issue is I don't hear the "echo" when scanning conventional UHF channels on the G5, since according to PPS, "This feature only supports digital protocols (P25 Trunking, P25 Conventional, DMR or DVOA)." Now the problem is, how do I get firmware v1.1 for my G5. Unfortunately, it seems I only kept a copy of the 1.1 Auto Up for my G4.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not sure how this came to pass, but after I applied the new firmware update, Paging over P25 automagically started working. Works like a champ on conventional paging, but prior to now I'd had zero luck getting the G5 to act like a pager when the tones went off on the dispatch talkgroup, even though the thing was set up exactly as per the instructions. It just sat there like a bump on a log while my issued portable sat there chattering merrily away.

So, that's a nice additional bonus and I didn't have to do a dang thing.

hfd26

Wa8pyr how did you get your pager to work on p25? Mine was working before the update but it doesn't. I don't have this problem on convetional just p25

DanRollman

Database Admin
Who can tell me what the "Tow Truck Mount" is?

Spoke with the Unication guys at IWCE about this. The Tow Truck Mount was apparently created to serve tow truck operators, most notably in the Houston area, who have a need to monitor many different P25 systems at once in order to try to overhear police requests for tow trucks. Apparently many of those tow truck operators have been using Motorola radios programmed for no-affiliate-scan, and many inadvertently affiliate with the systems regularly. The Unication guys said some shops now install up to 2 of these tow truck mounts in a tow truck at around $1K each, plus the cost of up to 12 G4 pagers.

The tow truck mount is more than just a gang charger (though it is that too) insofar as it has separate antenna and audio-out jacks for each of the 6 pager slots and has a volume control next to each pager.

Dan

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Spoke with the Unication guys at IWCE about this. The Tow Truck Mount was apparently created to serve tow truck operators, most notably in the Houston area, who have a need to monitor many different P25 systems at once in order to try to overhear police requests for tow trucks. Apparently many of those tow truck operators have been using Motorola radios programmed for no-affiliate-scan, and many inadvertently affiliate with the systems regularly. The Unication guys said some shops now install up to 2 of these tow truck mounts in a tow truck at around $1K each, plus the cost of up to 12 G4 pagers.

The tow truck mount is more than just a gang charger (though it is that too) insofar as it has separate antenna and audio-out jacks for each of the 6 pager slots and has a volume control next to each pager.

Dan

Thanks. As someone who was born and raised in Houston I know we have absolutely zero "tow trucks" in the area...they are wreckers (just as Ernest Holmes called them when he invented them). :p

DanRollman

Database Admin
Thanks. As someone who was born and raised in Houston I know we have absolutely zero "tow trucks" in the area...they are wreckers (just as Ernest Holmes called them when he invented them). :p
Funny you should mention... have been meaning to take my son to the International Towing and Recovery Museum up I-75 in Chattanooga. He would appreciate that sort of thing (more than me no doubt). Ernest has a prominent place on their website, but so does "tow truck".

I didn't think much of the name Tow Truck Mount, but it isn't clear to me Wrecker Mount rolls off the tongue any easier. And Multiple Unit Mount sounds awfully corporate vanilla. Perhaps Unication should have had a naming contest. Of course, such a contest may be more interesting a year from now after others have found all sorts of bizarre uses for this thing. When I saw it up close at IWCE, my first thought was "now that's a good example of a solution without a problem!" But that's just my lack of creativity showing.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Wa8pyr how did you get your pager to work on p25? Mine was working before the update but it doesn't. I don't have this problem on convetional just p25

As I noted, I didn't do anything other than apply the firmware update. It was programmed all in accordance with the instructions but wouldn't alert or unmute; after I applied the firmware updated it automagically started working.

Go figure. . .

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.