Isle of Wight Applies for 800 MHz P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Kinda off topic, but the relevance is how all this encryption mess is being instigated by 1 man. If Terry Hall is bypassing Virginia Procurement Laws and creating what is obviously monopolistic business practices for Motorola (which I'm sure they don't object to).....why can't someone drop a bug in someone's ear in the Virginia DOJ? Just a thought........

Eugene KG4AVE

clbsquared

Kinda off topic, but the relevance is how all this encryption mess is being instigated by 1 man. If Terry Hall is bypassing Virginia Procurement Laws and creating what is obviously monopolistic business practices for Motorola (which I'm sure they don't object to).....why can't someone drop a bug in someone's ear in the Virginia DOJ? Just a thought........

Eugene KG4AVE

That’s already been done. They’re obviously not interested or they’re building one hell of a case on the DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
What are the times still the same? I have a G5 and would like to add them

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I meant the tones not times that’s my fault yes I have it programmed Correctly on my G5. I was just wondering if the pager tones were still the same

clbsquared

I’m not sure if the alerting tones are the same. I think they’re different than the ones before. However; there is no PL or DPL tone for the VHF dispatch channel. It’s a transmit only with no receive at dispatch.

clbsquared

No simulcasting to any of the older frequencies. They’ve been abandoned. Main fire/ems is being simulcast on the new paging/dispatch frequency that’s referenced a couple posts up. Any fire ground or tac channels will be on the new 800 system

CharlieKe

Can anyone provide a recent update me on the Isle of Wight (Suffolk) system? I visit there once or twice a year from Colorado with my BCD436 and the last time I was there (October 2018) the old Isle of Wight analog channels were still in use. From this thread I see that Isle of Wight is completely converted to P25, except for paging simulcast on 151.0175. (Is that still in use?)
- So there is nothing at all on the old analogs now, not even for backup?
- Is anyone using the BCD436/536 out there? In the past I found Suffolk very difficult to monitor, presumably due to simulcast distortion, so I may run into that in Isle of Wight. Any suggestions? Anyone using the SDS100/200 and if so how is that? I haven't made that switch yet.
- How is the coverage? I gather there is only one site about halfway between Windsor and Smithfield?
- What is encrypted now, or more importantly what is not encrypted?
Thanks.
Charlie

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone provide a recent update me on the Isle of Wight (Suffolk) system? I visit there once or twice a year from Colorado with my BCD436 and the last time I was there (October 2018) the old Isle of Wight analog channels were still in use. From this thread I see that Isle of Wight is completely converted to P25, except for paging simulcast on 151.0175. (Is that still in use?)
- So there is nothing at all on the old analogs now, not even for backup?
- Is anyone using the BCD436/536 out there? In the past I found Suffolk very difficult to monitor, presumably due to simulcast distortion, so I may run into that in Isle of Wight. Any suggestions? Anyone using the SDS100/200 and if so how is that? I haven't made that switch yet.
- How is the coverage? I gather there is only one site about halfway between Windsor and Smithfield?
- What is encrypted now, or more importantly what is not encrypted?
Thanks.
Charlie
Correct the only analog channel is used for paging. I use a BCD436HP and I live in Portsmouth, I get them but it’s very sporadic. Every time I’ve been in IOW, it’s normally clear. There’s a few more sites than just one, I can’t recall exactly where they’re at. All of LE ( SO, SPD, WPD) are Encrypted. Fire has maybe 2 Encrypted channels. Other than that, in the clear.

clbsquared

There are 4 sites in the county with a 5th site slated to be built ( if it hasn’t already). One in Carrsville, one in Windsor, one in Carrollton, one in Smithfield, and the 5th one to be in Rushmere. There are also two towers in Suffolk that the system utilizes, as well as a back up tower in JCC/ York.

As stated above, ALL law enforcement is encrypted. Fire and EMS dispatch is the only traffic simulcast on the VHF paging frequency. Fire and EMS actually has 3 encrypted talkgroups, but they are rarely used for anything.

CharlieKe

Thanks to you both. This information will certainly be helpful when I am in the area, and it will be interesting to see how the BCD436 handles the simulcast with 4 (or 5) sites operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.