SDS200 possible keypad backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
It's naive to actually believe the engineers, during design, said "let's make the keypad backlight much dimmer on the base version of the SDS-100". The more likely scenario is they use very cheap, often anemic LEDs and didn't pay close enough attention to detail. If I'm representing the company I'll also say "No, no everyone... We did that on purpose". I get it, you have to mitigate these situations any way you can to avoid losing money via returns/repairs etc. But me personally will forgive and understand if I'm given an honest answer as to what happened. No person is perfect, no process is flawless.
So are you saying that Upman is "covering his arse" and not be truthful? I have no reason to believe that myself. And as I've stated before I am fine with the dimmer keypad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dfw1193

I’m on my 2nd sds200, returned the first one because of speaker noise and very dim keypad lights, got the new one today, same issues. Going to try it out a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You must be crazy ... doing the same thing over and expecting a different result!

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
You must be crazy ... doing the same thing over and expecting a different result!

Why would that be crazy, a lot of people have the hum, some don’t, its not supposed too, and I didn’t want a scanner that made a noise that i could hear across the room, whereas all my other scanners are quiet. But I’m happy your good with yours. Good for you. Have a nice day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So what exactly is wrong with the keypad. Looks fine to me.
28967ce74cbdcb2ea7b0bdc15e483c3e.jpg

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
So what exactly is wrong with the keypad. Looks fine to me.
28967ce74cbdcb2ea7b0bdc15e483c3e.jpg

phonecamera

Yeah, it looks perfect in a picture, or looking at it on your phones camera . The ones I tried wasn’t anything like that. But regardless for 700, I wasn’t happy with it. The units I tried looked like the keypad wasn’t even lit up, even had someone else look at it, and they said it was very Dim. I’ve seen pictures maybe in this thread showing where they had their 200 and a friends, his keypad was bright and the other one was like the ones I tried

Last edited:

mkt853

Your keypad looks pretty bright in this picture. Mine is clearly backlit, but not that bright!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Now this is the other SDS 200 and yes the keys are dimmer. But, they are still readable.
893420229b0a93cfa9f63a1334b977e6.jpg

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Now this is the other SDS 200 and yes the keys are dimmer. But, they are still readable.
893420229b0a93cfa9f63a1334b977e6.jpg

Agreed, mine wasn’t even that bright, cause in the pictures posted that is what I would expect

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Agreed, mine wasn’t even that bright, cause in the pictures posted that is what I would expect

Wow now that is about as dim as even I could accept. That's the broadcastify feed scanner with the dimmer keypad so it doesn't matter all that much.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

imd

My keypad light isn't very bright, most of the light seems to be centered around the 5 or 8 key. I'd rather uniden work on performance bugs then worry about key back lighting. If the radio sucks napkins, I won't be using the keys for much anyways.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My keypad light isn't very bright, most of the light seems to be centered around the 5 or 8 key. I'd rather uniden work on performance bugs then worry about key back lighting. If the radio sucks napkins, I won't be using the keys for much anyways.
Agree, and I still think the keypad should turn off with the display like the SDS 100 does.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ok so I checked the other scanner... does it have a hum? If I put my ear next to the scanner like resting on a pillow yes. Do I hear it sitting in the room with the scanner a foot away no. Is the hum a problem for me? Guess not I bought 2 of them.

Does the fix work? Some say no. Don't know I haven't done it.

Does the firmware update help. Yep

As a note that scanners "hum" is different than the 1st. Both are not heard by my ears if more than an inch away from the scanners.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
S/n 0263 bought two day's ago from Ham Radio Outlet in Virginia and this is how it looks.

You can clearly see it is dim and not bright in all areas of the keypad just like the others have shown with their photos.

Luckily, I have ten days to return it and when I do, I will ask them to open any other units they might have in stock and if none work better on the display, I'll be walking out with my refund.

To say this was done by design shows that not all avenues were researched and or followed as it would have been a much better call to make the areas dimmable like the main screen area for the consumer to decide their level of brightness.

I like to have dim during the day and bright at night and sometimes just like having the screen on with no keypad illumination with my scanners.

#sameoleuniden
#undone
#com'onman
#youcandobetter
258a0b021cd205ef1a56734696607644.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.