• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming maxtrac,ht1000 and Astro saber

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I have the three radios mentioned in the title and the rss to go with them. But I do not have a computer that will run it. All I have is a vista laptop. The software loads up on the vista but I don’t have a serial port. I was looking on eBay for older computers and my goodness when did they get so high?? What specifically do I need?

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Anywhere between 286 and a 386 processor system. I prefer laptops for ease of use if something is installed in a vehicle. Specifically a DOS system “DOS 3.5”, somewhere before windows 95 or so. They all have serial ports to do the job. Trying to run the software in DOS box on Vista is more hassle than it’s really worth playing with. If any of this is above your head either consult a good radio shop or sell all three of them and buy one new radio that you can interface with CPS, as many radio shops don’t have an RSS computer playing around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got an old HP laptop, circa probably 2005 or so. It's old enough to have a "real" RS-232 port. I downloaded a program called Rufus that allows me to run in pure dos mode.

I've successfully programmed HT-1000's, JT-1000's and Maxtracs, GM-300's and a few others with it.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
A DOS box will not work with RSS.. it can not find a serial port I actually keep a Win95 dinosaur around for all my RSS based stuff.. though I rarely use it

6079smithw

Ok so a machine with win 95 and a serial port should work then?
What about 98?
I run a couple of wood-burner towers with 98 SE; a K6 350 and a PII clocked down to 300. Boots up in DOS (F8) and handles all the early RSS. Win mode does CPS for 1225s and the like, never have had a problem using both genuine Moto RIB and aftermkt Chinee serial 3-in-1 off eBay. YMMV

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I use a CF-30 Toughbook that is set up to dual boot to DOS and Windows 7. When I need to do old Systems Sabers, Maxtrac or Desktrac radios, I choose DOS and it works great. It doesn't need to be a 386 for RSS to work, it just needs to be in pure DOS. Plus the CF-30 has a real serial port and they can take a beating.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I use a CF-30 Toughbook that is set up to dual boot to DOS and Windows 7.

This is exactly what I have, except it's XP, not 7.

Older laptops are cheap and plentiful. Several versions of DOS are out there for free. Older versions of Windows are available new on eBay for reasonable prices, and even XP can still be activated by phone. Install DOS first, and XP just knows to make it dual boot.

People tend to overcomplicate the process of putting together a programming computer. It's actually super easy, and super cheap.

If you need APX, use a modern computer. It's not unreasonable to collect a few laptops for programming various vintages of radios.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
In the past I had a CF-28 setup for dual boot (FreeDOS and XP) however, most of what I do these days it’s far easier to to have the CF-28 as a stand-alone XP box.

As far as the shop goes, won’t touch a DOS based radio for work. I’ll play with them on my own time so I just keep a Dell Latitude with a Pentium 3 running 98SE for that application. Batteries are all shot but it’ll run the Comtegra RSS (since I have a few laying around). Anytime I have to pull out the CF-28 a “Legacy Equipment” charge is incurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Not too long ago, we still had some UHF trunking X9000 110 Watt radios that did require an older platform to program. Once our new system went in, we gave them the sledge hammer treatment as the old PC had died and we couldn't wipe the programming. Newer platforms just would not work.

WX5812

I'm currently running Win2000 to program my Astro Saber III using CPS 05.03.00
So you don’t have to run the rss in dos for the ASTRO saber? Because that’s the exact radio have the Astro saber III uhf......... and also is there anything special to enter in 70cm ham frequencies like there is on the maxtrac?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
CPS uses Windows, not DOS. The ancient RSS for the Astro Saber was DOS only, but that changed to CPS back in the 90s.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I currently use an old Sony Vaio with win95 for anything DOS RSS I have both a CF30 and CF19 running XP just for anything Astro and Astro25 and some CPS for HT1250 and CM300 that I would need in the field. All my APX work is done at the bench where I have a dedicated Win 7 desktop. so far there hasn't been anything I can't program or service with these

Status
Not open for further replies.