scanner1

Chris,

Question about something you said a few posts ago. The current 800 system is not simulcast?? I though it was, as a radio in eastern CT could be received in the middle of the state if a subscriber is affiliated in that area ??

How will the 700 differ, from the 800 as far as simulcast. I always assumed a radio in Troop E area would automatically simulcast on that troops 3 towers, and anywhere else in the state if there was an affiliated radio in that area.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The current system, like the new one, has a mix of simulcast and standalone (the old Motorola name was Intellipeater).

The system is free... for now. Should the State (all of us) pay for all the upgrades down the road that benefit these towns or should the towns chip in? Perhaps fund it like MA is doing with increased fees on the 911 "tax" on phones.
The towns get a system that was designed to cover 95 percent of the state with mobile radios. A new tower had to be added to improve Groton/Stonington coverage. I believe that was a town expense.
They tested in here Granby. Horrible coverage, even in mobiles. If the town were to spend the money on a couple new towers or add the SW700/800 infrastructure to existing towers in town, it would be a very expensive proposal and would be cheaper to add a simulcast voting conventional system.

chris

scanner1

The current system, like the new one, has a mix of simulcast and standalone (the old Motorola name was Intellipeater).

The system is free... for now. Should the State (all of us) pay for all the upgrades down the road that benefit these towns or should the towns chip in? Perhaps fund it like MA is doing with increased fees on the 911 "tax" on phones.
The towns get a system that was designed to cover 95 percent of the state with mobile radios. A new tower had to be added to improve Groton/Stonington coverage. I believe that was a town expense.
They tested in here Granby. Horrible coverage, even in mobiles. If the town were to spend the money on a couple new towers or add the SW700/800 infrastructure to existing towers in town, it would be a very expensive proposal and would be cheaper to add a simulcast voting conventional system.

chris
What sites are currently simulcast, and which are standalone.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Current system, Sites 1-9 are simulcast, 10-18 are standalone. P25 system, likely that 21-31 will be simulcast, above that will be standalone. The Cell numbers could change when they changeover, that will be obvious when it happens.

chris

WoodburyMan

I'm in range of the Plymouth and Wolcott sites here in Woodbury. If there's anything I can do to scan for new TG's or frequncies for when Troop L is added let me know. I have my SDS100 running ProScan. Seems L is the last to get it. I havent done much for discovery, just mostly scanning. I'm wondering where the Troop L site will be located.

I can get A on the 800mhz system, and A on CSERN as well from my location, as well as Troop L on the 800mhz system.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The lack of 700MHz licenses for B, D, K, & L would lead me to believe that those Cells will use the existing 800MHz frequencies and simply switch to P25. Troop K has one of the early 700MHz sites however, I suspect that will be a standalone cell for the Colchester area.

chris

mkt853

One comment that I wasn't sure is right is towards the end where the guy says we have unlimited bandwidth. How is that possible? Each cell or zone in the system typically has a control channel and then 4 or 5 voice frequencies available. If you start putting local services on the system, doesn't that increase the odds of a user finding no frequencies available when he PTTs? Or is this system different from the old one? Still trying to understand the differences and why the state had to abandon its 20 year old digital 800 MHz statewide system.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The old Motorola system was analog control channel, digital voice channels, 1 conversation per frequency. The new system is full digital. However, the big difference is that the new system is P25 Phase 2. This means the voice channels can handle two simultaneous voice calls. This is called Time Division Multiple Access or TDMA. With this, the channels alternate very rapidly, each using the 12.5KHz bandwidth. The end result is that a Cell like Troop H with 6 frequencies available can have 10 conversations going at the same time (1 frequency for the Control Channel and 5(x2) for voice).
The new P25 system is backwards to P25 Phase 1 but not to the Motorola system. All radios need to be P25. I believe they will require all to be Phase 2 for efficiency.

chris

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
The old Motorola system was analog control channel, digital voice channels, 1 conversation per frequency. The new system is full digital. However, the big difference is that the new system is P25 Phase 2. This means the voice channels can handle two simultaneous voice calls. This is called Time Division Multiple Access or TDMA. With this, the channels alternate very rapidly, each using the 12.5KHz bandwidth. The end result is that a Cell like Troop H with 6 frequencies available can have 10 conversations going at the same time (1 frequency for the Control Channel and 5(x2) for voice).
The new P25 system is backwards to P25 Phase 1 but not to the Motorola system. All radios need to be P25. I believe they will require all to be Phase 2 for efficiency.

chris

So my BCD325P2, SDS100, and HomePatrol II will be able to deal with that then. Of the three, the HPII seems to struggle the most with the newer systems, though it is marketed as being Phase 1 & 2 capable.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Cells are several sites that are simulcasting on the same frequencies. A Standalone is a single site with separate frequencies usually to address a small area with poor coverage. They are usually very limited on the traffic they carry and may have as few as 3 frequencies.
Troop A actually has one in NY. Troop B has 2, L has 2, I has 1, G has 1, H has 1, and K has 1

chris

tony_s_fan

Premium Subscriber
I just got a used uniden 986xt last week. How much longer will it be before it's obsolete with regards to CSP?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk