SDS200 Ethernet radiates Noise PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK7I

Feed Provider
I received the SDS200 yesterday, bought a DMR key, entered that, quickly programmed it (after updating Sentinel and firmware) and enjoyed it for a day. I was just beginning to love it, as it appears to be some better than the BCDx36 I also have.

Today, wanting to use Siren or stream it; I plugged it into a one of the LAN extenders (and later tried the main router) and that when problems started. I'll give you the short version.

The SDS200 Ethernet port on any cable I tried (with/out ferrites, various lengths) radiates RF noise that is locking up the scanner on most VHF high (~150 MHz) channels. If it's near another scanner (have 2 BCD 536 in the house), they hear it too (proves radiation, not internal noise) and they also lock up (stop scanning to hear the noise) as well. Longer Ethernet cables equals greater range of the noise.

I have verified it's the SDS200 (by removing power from all other equipment suspects) and concluded that it IS the Ethernet port is THE problem.

So far, the only viable temporary solution appears to be, use the shortest Ethernet cable possible, with ferrites (I have some down to about a foot) AND moving to an external antenna for sheer distance. Even then, this is still an issue. I shouldn't have to run the squelch up to max, for it to scan (that didn't work anyway, it's THAT strong). I also shouldn't have to buy a wifi dongle so that it's physically isolated from other receivers; if that is even an option.

Has anyone had this issue; was there any resolution?

A return is out of the question since I also bought and installed the DMR key but it appears that some service may be needed on a brand new scanner.

NOT COOL. I didn't spend this amount of cash, just to be a beta tester.

Thank you,
Rick WA6NHC

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Never heard of that issue and I run 2 SDS 200s with the LAN connected. Perhaps you should try for warranty repair since you did an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had this issue; was there any resolution?

Never heard of that either.... I would disconnect all other devices from the router, and if no difference I would try a different router. Sounds like could be something on your end.

A return is out of the question since I also bought and installed the DMR key but it appears that some service may be needed on a brand new scanner.

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ad-backlight-issue.383184/page-7#post-3069686

NK7I

Feed Provider
So far, I made a workaround using the shortest cable I have, about a foot AND some ferrite clamp on. I can now use it with the provided antenna at normal squelch.

In time (when the snow melts) I'll add a high gain antenna for this scanner since I provide streaming during local events (floods and forest fires) to other locals.

This is not what I expected for the star of Uniden, so not like them.

Rick NHC

NK7I

Feed Provider
Never heard of that either.... I would disconnect all other devices from the router, and if no difference I would try a different router. Sounds like could be something on your end.

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...ad-backlight-issue.383184/page-7#post-3069686

I tried three routers (two are extenders), various cables with/out ferrite add ons...

the best I can do is a very short cable (non-resonant on VHF) with ferrite. So I got it working, but this isn't really a fix.

Thanks,
Rick NHC

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The better quality the Ethernet cable, the less noise it will radiate. Make sure you are using good quality Cat 6 or Cat 6a with properly installed modular connectors. Don't go cheap, and get away from outdated Cat 5. If that doesn't help, try a shielded twisted pair (STP) patch cable instead, assuming both jacks you're plugging into have shielding so that the cable is grounded at both ends.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Install the hardware, hum piece and play with the AMP settings. I'm using LAN and while there is the tiniest of noise, it's not noticeable and no interference on the 536 right below it.
I'm using a 10' CAT6 with a right angle and it's one of those extra tiny cables.

Ubbe

I switched to using WiFi on as many devices as possible due to the RFI that net cables emit and made monitoring weak signals almost impossible. I only use two cables and those are cat7 with each pair individually shielded and then the whole cable is shielded. As soon as I connect a standard non shielded cable to my router for initial programming of a WiFi device, the interferencies starts on a large number of frequencies.

I have a RemoteRig for remote control of radios over internet and that box are one of the devices that spew out the most RFI noise of all and I had to use cat7 double shielded cable to supress it.

/Ubbe

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting post. I hadn't even considered that my LAN cable may contribute to interference issues....will be watching this thread.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Funny how I have LAN cables all through the house VHF/UHF and HF radios. And with all that my 2 SDS200 scanners are fine.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Funny how I have LAN cables all through the house VHF/UHF and HF radios. And with all that my 2 SDS200 scanners are fine.

That's not funny at all. The noise comes from the router and not all of them are noisy. The cables just act as the antenna for the noisy ones.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Why would I do that? I don't have any RFI issues from my router.
Well you said the noise was from the router and not all routers caused the issue so obviously the OP should replace what you said was causing the problem.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I can confirm the noise on 155.000. If I tune my 996T that is sitting right next to the SDS200 to 155, I hear the noise. As soon as I unplug the network cable, it subsides. I am using an old cable while I am waiting on a new one. I haven't noticed it prior to this post so it really isn't causing me any issues.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I can confirm the noise on 155.000. If I tune my 996T that is sitting right next to the SDS200 to 155, I hear the noise. As soon as I unplug the network cable, it subsides. I am using an old cable while I am waiting on a new one. I haven't noticed it prior to this post so it really isn't causing me any issues.
Have you tried a $20 wireless bridge? They have extremely short cables and are not directly wired to the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.