• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS vs Depot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFG_rrt

I'll admit that before I received my MOL and purchased downloaded my legit copy of CPS I did download a copy online from another source. With that said I noticed something in my CPS that I wanted to ask about just to be clear on which version I'm operating on since I don't actually use CPS very often I can't recall which version is currently installed on my computer (legit vs. other).

In my Radio Information it shows:

Codeplug Version: R18.00.05
Firmware Version: R17.11.00
DSP Version: R17.11.00
Tuning Version: R01.00.00

Tracking
Last Programmed Time and Date: 3/14/2019 7:21:00 PM
Source: Depot

Born on Time and Date: 8/2/2018 8:09:00 AM
Source: Depot

FLASHport
Last Upgrade Source: CPS

So the last time I updated it shows the source as Depot, but the FLASHport shows CPS. Why are those two components different, and because it shows Depot as the last source of my latest codeplug does that mean I'm not using my legit copy of CPS?

Thanks in advance.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Once a radio is hit with Depot, it will show that in the codeplug forever. We really don't encourage open talk of that software around here, FYI. You're better off asking on the other website that apparently has no issues openly talking about and justifying defrauding Motorola.

MFG_rrt

Once a radio is hit with Depot, it will show that in the codeplug forever. We really don't encourage open talk of that software around here, FYI. You're better off asking on the other website that apparently has no issues openly talking about and justifying defrauding Motorola.
Thanks for that bit of info. I understand your other comments, I was hesitant to ask but since I don't actually use that software I took the chance that someone would help shed some light.

MFG_rrt

Also - considering I purchased this 8k from a channel partner, and they sent it direct to Motorola to enable all the features I paid for, could that be why it shows depot?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Also - considering I purchased this 8k from a channel partner, and they sent it direct to Motorola to enable all the features I paid for, could that be why it shows depot?
Quite possible. So long as MSI has the upgrades in their database, it really doesn't matter. For warranty purposes, if you send the radio in under flat rate/SFS, you'll get what the radio was shipped with if they can't validate the Flashport aftermarket upgrade.

MFG_rrt

Quite possible. So long as MSI has the upgrades in their database, it really doesn't matter. For warranty purposes, if you send the radio in under flat rate/SFS, you'll get what the radio was shipped with if they can't validate the Flashport aftermarket upgrade.
Thanks. This is the real basis for my thread. I understand that anyone who uses depot is taking on the associated risks, but since I have paid for and use the legit software with a legit radio I just want to be sure that if a warranty case does ever come about that I'm not unpleasantly surprised by something I'm currently unaware of.

MFG_rrt

Another member on a different site confirmed that since my radio was sent to MSI to update the flashcode that's likely the reason Depot is stuck with the radio forever. Like @MTS2000des says it should be in their database and of no consequence to me.

Mods feel free to close this thread if you'd like.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't want to beat you up over this, but it seems rather sketchy. It would be very rare for a radio to be sent to MSI/Depot for FLASHcode upgrades, as they are easily done via an iButton through CPS, or through Radio Management software. A "channel partner" could absolutely do this without having to send the radio out. Frankly, I would suspect that Depot CPS was used by someone at some point, and likely not by MSI.

The Born on Time and Date is another indication that a codeplug was possibly created in Depot CPS and force-written into the radio. You didn't include the original Codeplug Version from the Original Programmed Information section along with the Born on Time/Date; that is a key piece of information.

Another member on a different site confirmed that since my radio was sent to MSI to update the flashcode that's likely the reason Depot is stuck with the radio forever.
That's actually not what he said. He said exactly what I did, which was that if Depot CPS is used on the radio, it will show up in the codeplug forever regardless of whether legitimate, regular CPS is used afterwards.

MFG_rrt

I don't want to beat you up over this, but it seems rather sketchy. It would be very rare for a radio to be sent to MSI/Depot for FLASHcode upgrades, as they are easily done via an iButton through CPS, or through Radio Management software. A "channel partner" could absolutely do this without having to send the radio out. Frankly, I would suspect that Depot CPS was used by someone at some point, and likely not by MSI.

The Born on Time and Date is another indication that a codeplug was possibly created in Depot CPS and force-written into the radio. You didn't include the original Codeplug Version from the Original Programmed Information section along with the Born on Time/Date; that is a key piece of information.

That's actually not what he said. He said exactly what I did, which was that if Depot CPS is used on the radio, it will show up in the codeplug forever regardless of whether legitimate, regular CPS is used afterwards.
Yes you're right, sorry. I misunderstood at first.

I have to say though, although you never know, I would be very surprised if this particular vendor used depot software that they are not allowed to own to upgrade my radio. This is a well-known commercial dealer in this region.

MFG_rrt

Say the word “depot” on RR and watch the world burn....
I can understand why. In this case, I hope they are using discretion to leave it open as it's not really a discussion as to the workings of it, more so clarity to understand if my radio is wearing the scarlet letter or not.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Look at the codeplug again. Specifically, look at the line between these two lines....

Born on Time and Date 8/2/2018 8:09:00 AM
Source Depot

If that missing line that you didn't post says Codeplug Version R14.00.00 then Depot CPS was used on the radio, and not in the legitimate way.

I see that the guys are telling you the same things on the other site.

MFG_rrt

Look at the codeplug again. Specifically, look at the line between these two lines....

Born on Time and Date 8/2/2018 8:09:00 AM
Source Depot

If that missing line that you didn't post says Codeplug Version R14.00.00 then Depot CPS was used on the radio, and not in the legitimate way.

I see that the guys are telling you the same things on the other site.
That field shows R15.00.01

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That field shows R15.00.01
Supposedly Depot R15 also made it out into the wild, but not as widely as R14. In any event, Motorola MSI/Depot would not be using Depot R15 in the summer of 2018, when the APX releases were already at R18.

For your sake, I hope this somehow turns out to be a legitimately upgraded radio. I suppose you could try reaching out to Motorola to see if they have a record of ever working on or selling a FLASH upgrade for that serial #. Good luck!

MFG_rrt

Supposedly Depot R15 also made it out into the wild, but not as widely as R14. In any event, Motorola MSI/Depot would not be using Depot R15 in the summer of 2018, when the APX releases were already at R18.

For your sake, I hope this somehow turns out to be a legitimately upgraded radio. I suppose you could try reaching out to Motorola to see if they have a record of ever working on or selling a FLASH upgrade for that serial #. Good luck!
Thanks. I found out my answer from the dealer. I'll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.