SDS200 - GPS port pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob-k

It appears to be 3.3v TTL logic and not RS-232.

I have never used GPS with an SDS so not really sure how it behaves. I've only ever used a regular HomePatrol 1. With those the GPS indicator turns green if data is present and good. It also asks you if you want to use GPS.

This thing just seems to show GPS in white and it forces it to be used. I unplugged my test GPS and set the radio to California (I'm in Kansas) using the full database. When I plugged the GPS in the radio selected Kansas and started scanning that. Is that how it is supposed to behave? What if you don't want to use GPS? Do you have to unplug it?

I have had one made for me with use for my SDS100 (Sold) Now I seek one for the soon to arriving SDS200. It worked great!! I need sell the older one!

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

One possible problem with the GlobalSat BR-355S4 is it may require a 5 volt input. The SDS-200 has 3.3 volts on the connector. You need a serial GPS module that can be powered with 3.3 volts.

73 Eric

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to run afoul with Uniden over it so no not really. I just made up a couple from some extra parts I had around.

I don't think Jon ever did get hassled by Uniden.
And Paul certainly was aware of him, he was not shy promoting his stuff...
He got in S#@! because of a (bonehead) move at work....

Go for it.

k4hg

Premium Subscriber
If anyone is looking for a cheap way to do this, you can pick up a UBlox 6M on an interface board for less than $7 on ebay (add a couple more dollars if you want a US seller with faster shipping time) and dig up an old phone cable with 4 wires. The latter was the hard part for me since I haven't had a landline for 10 years - finally found one wrapped up around an old DSL modem. The wiring diagram early in this thread is correct, but use pin position and not wire colors - in mine the wire colors were reversed: power was red/black but black was positive. The UBlox is perfect with 3.3v VCC and IO. Don't waste your money on a UBlox 7 or 8, these are newer and more powerful, can do multiple constellations (GLONASS etc.) and give more precise positions, but you don't need it in this application. The 6M is a very good module, I get solid lock inside a house with a metal roof. Look carefully before you buy one of the pre-made sensors. These are tempting because they look good but most are configured to communicate via I2C and have a built-in magnetometer for use on drones.

peteinsf

just confirming. This is a narrow "RJ9" headset jack? (not a 6 pin RJ11 using just the 4 center pins)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Technically, this is called an RJ14. Same size as RJ11, but RJ11 only uses 2 conductors. RJ14 uses 4. And, RJ25 uses all 6.

mancow

Database Admin
I measured 3.8v on mine. It appears to be 3.3v logic but not sure if it's 5v tolerant. I would stay with 3.3v devices.

6079smithw

1: GPS TX
2: Ground
3: GPS RX
4: V+
Thank you, Sir!

In case anyone's interested, I parallel-wired a Garmin GPS 18PC (externally-powered) to a friend's '200 and it works perfectly with his Icom IC-2730A (APRS). Did the same thing a while back with my Kenwood 700 and 536HP. Performance on both scanners seems equal based on a 75-mile road trip.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I used a 3.3 volt NMEA module without any problem. The data input and data output are TTL like levels. This module works great and the battery backup speeds up position lock.
Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates

The board will fit into a single RJ-14 surface mount keystone box.

73 Eric

Eric,
Was the 3.3v present on the jack all the time? I'm only getting +1.44VDC between GND and V+ on my SDS200.
Greg

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Eric,
Was the 3.3v present on the jack all the time? I'm only getting +1.44VDC between GND and V+ on my SDS200.
Greg
Hello,

Voltage was present while the scanner was on. It sounds like something is loading down the circuit or you did not get the pin numbering right. Try measuring each pin on the jack to the chassis.

73 Eric

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Voltage was present while the scanner was on. It sounds like something is loading down the circuit or you did not get the pin numbering right. Try measuring each pin on the jack to the chassis.

73 Eric

Thanks for the reply Eric,

I double checked the numbering on the connector, against both what @mancow and what @UPMan posted in this thread. I'm thinking my SDS200 will be taking a trip back to the mothership.

73, Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.