• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Programming weather frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhoover4

Premium Subscriber
All, I am having an issue with programming the weather frequencies in my radio. I have had them programmed in a XPR 5000 and all worked fine, upgraded to the APX 8000 used the same format and the radio will not open squelch when the 1050 tone is transmitted. I have the following setting in my radio, am I missing something?

MDC
Quick Call II
Single tone set to 1050
A pl of 67(to close the squelch)

Any assistance would be helpful.
Thanks Mike
KD2EXQ

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Try and set the PL to off and use CSQ. The way you have it set up now looks like it's looking for a tone of 67.0 to open the squelch and there is no tone on the weather station. Set it to CSQ and reset the alert after the tone when you want the radio to go back into tone standby mode.

MFG_rrt

All, I am having an issue with programming the weather frequencies in my radio. I have had them programmed in a XPR 5000 and all worked fine, upgraded to the APX 8000 used the same format and the radio will not open squelch when the 1050 tone is transmitted. I have the following setting in my radio, am I missing something?

MDC
Quick Call II
Single tone set to 1050
A pl of 67(to close the squelch)

Any assistance would be helpful.
Thanks Mike
KD2EXQ
Do you mind explaining a little further how to set up weather stations in the 8k? I also have them programmed in my XPR 7550e and I'd like to add them to my 8k but your references to MDC, quick call II, threw me off.

mhoover4

Premium Subscriber
I have removed the Pl and it will stay open on the active channel and won't scan the other frequencies I need to listed to. I use the radio for work and need to be aware of any weather alerts that may occur during our work operations as we may a long distance from safe shelter. Thanks
Michael
KD2EXQ

mhoover4

Premium Subscriber
In the XPR 7550 there should be an option for signaling, MDC a sub category Quick Call II is for single tone signaling like the weather radios use 1050Hz tone. I don't have my programming computer with me right no. Over the weekend I will go through the program and post the outline. Thanks
Michael
KD2EXQ

MFG_rrt

In the XPR 7550 there should be an option for signaling, MDC a sub category Quick Call II is for single tone signaling like the weather radios use 1050Hz tone. I don't have my programming computer with me right no. Over the weekend I will go through the program and post the outline. Thanks
Michael
KD2EXQ
Alternatively, I can just program them in as a RX-only conventional channel and scan as I please. Right?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I have removed the Pl and it will stay open on the active channel and won't scan the other frequencies I need to listed to.

The radio will stop scanning on the continuous weather broadcast, for obvious reasons, and putting it in PL will cause it never open up, because the weather transmitter doesn't send PL. In the typical Motorola scan function, it can be set to require both PL and carrier to scan correctly. How to deal with PL is built in to the scan function, in other words.

But I am not sure the PL can be replaced with QC in the scan function. That's essentially what is required to behave properly the way you want it to. The thing is, QC is not an alternative to PL, the two provide different functionality to the user, and unless Motorola anticipated it being used in conjunction with scan, you're not going to get the radio to do exactly what you want.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I have removed the Pl and it will stay open on the active channel and won't scan the other frequencies I need to listed to. I use the radio for work and need to be aware of any weather alerts that may occur during our work operations as we may a long distance from safe shelter. Thanks
Michael
KD2EXQ

Buy a dedicated weather radio. Relying on a radio which scans is just asking for trouble.

What happens if your radio is listening on another channel when the weather alert is broadcast?

MFG_rrt

Buy a dedicated weather radio. Relying on a radio which scans is just asking for trouble.

What happens if your radio is listening on another channel when the weather alert is broadcast?
In this case, it's not critical. My scanning is for pleasure/hobby, so in the event I wanted to use the radio to listen to incoming weather there wouldn't be anything of priority the radio needed to hear above that. Also, it beats carrying three radios: scan, ham, weather.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
In this case, it's not critical. My scanning is for pleasure/hobby, so in the event I wanted to use the radio to listen to incoming weather there wouldn't be anything of priority the radio needed to hear above that. Also, it beats carrying three radios: scan, ham, weather.

I did something similar with my work radio. 99.9% of the time it’s good weather but if things start looking off, I can click over to weather and hear what’s up.

K2NEC

On the weather channel it doesn't decode without the QCII but in scan mode it always stops on that channel. Guess QCII doesn't apply when scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.